KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Best-to-worst Star Wars films acting-wise?

Best-to-worst Star Wars films acting-wise?
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Best-to-worst Star Wars films acting-wise?

Which Star Wars film do you think had the best acting across the board, and which one do you think had the worst? Preferably, make a best-to-worst list of the Star Wars films based on acting, and highlight which actor you think shines or bogs down the movie with their performances.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:25 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

This thread should be retitled, "shit on the prequels" thread.

Personally, I had no issue with the acting in any of the prequels.

Nor in any Star Wars film, really.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:30 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I made this mainly because I saw people once talking about how the acting in ANH wasn't really good, so I was curious where people would place that movie compared to the others.

Anyways, I thought Natalie Portman kind of sucked in TPM and RotS, but I'm sure that was mainly George's fault. Hayden wasn't that bad, tbh. Ewan was great.

My list would be:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Force Awakens
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace

I think some of the highlights of the prequel trilogy are when the actors are literally not talking. In Revenge of the Sith, when Anakin and Padmé are looking out the windows during that scene (everyone knows what I'm referring to) there's some pretty good facial emoting going on that really makes the scene intense. Hayden nails the passionate emotions that go unspoken, IMO. He's also really good when he's burning alive. But in general, I think RotS has more higher points than lower points.

I love the OT acting because there's a great sense of comradary that seems so effortless and makes me really get into everyone's characters and their dynamic. There's obviously some cheesy lines here and there but on the whole I think the OT acting is pretty solid.

I don't really have any complaints about TFA, either. I think the acting was good generally, but nothing really blew me away. Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley were pretty impressive, though.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 04:49 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

TFA was the worst. I thought Daisy Ridley's acting was a joke

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 08:20 AM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

lol to those saying that the OT had this superior acting compared to the PT.

Mark Hamill was shit as Luke, especially in the first one, same with Carrie Fisher. The only one who was any good and came off as a natural was Harrison Ford.

In the PT Liam Neeson, Ewan Macgregor, and especially Ian McDiarmid KILLL it in the acting department, even Chris Lee who was clearly phoning it in was miles ahead of anybody in the OT save for Ian and Peter Cushing. Even Hayden Christiansen as shit as he was in ATOC had flashes of brilliance in ROTS.

Looking at the acting alone the PT at the very least matches the OT and ill say it was superior TBH

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 09:24 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

quote: (post)
Originally posted by relentless1
lol to those saying that the OT had this superior acting compared to the PT.

Mark Hamill was shit as Luke, especially in the first one, same with Carrie Fisher. The only one who was any good and came off as a natural was Harrison Ford.

In the PT Liam Neeson, Ewan Macgregor, and especially Ian McDiarmid KILLL it in the acting department, even Chris Lee who was clearly phoning it in was miles ahead of anybody in the OT save for Ian and Peter Cushing. Even Hayden Christiansen as shit as he was in ATOC had flashes of brilliance in ROTS.

Looking at the acting alone the PT at the very least matches the OT and ill say it was superior TBH

This.

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 09:37 AM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Hamill and Fischer improved throughout the OT. I don't think they came off worse in RotJ than Christensen and Portman in RotS.

ANH was a slightly mixed bag but ESB and RotJ were fine.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 09:40 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I'm not into the whole OT vs PT as it's all the original Lucas Star Wars saga to me.

As for Hayden, he was great in ROTS Imo.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 10:10 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

ANH and TPM are by far the worst, imho, with only a few saving graces.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 10:10 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think this is really subjective to the person's generation. My dad, for example, thinks Harrison Ford sucks ass in ANH while TFA was okay.

The original trilogy had their sh1tty moments, but overall I think the acting was of a higher caliber than anything in the prequels or disney trilogy.

My list: (best-to-worst)

1. RotJ
2. ESB
3. Rogue 1
4. ANH
5. TPM
6. TFA
7. RotS
8. AotC

Christopher Hayden by himself kills the pre-quels. I don't think Portman was that cringeworthy aside from the Mustafar dialogue and AotC moments.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 12:15 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

ESB.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 01:02 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I completely forgot about Rogue One, LOL.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 02:18 PM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Rogue One
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace

Added RO.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2017 08:07 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

lol anybody that actually put ANH in the top slots is fooling themselves; your blind hate for the prequels is pathetic.

1. Return of the Jedi - Hamill is vastly improved, Ian McDiarmid is always 10/10, Harrison is solid also.

2. Revenge of the Sith - Ian carries this whole film, Ewan MacGregor is sublime as Obi Wan, you can really feel how he's torn and heartbroken and even Hayden has flashes of brilliance here not necessarily in dialogue but his emoting when he cries reflecting on his shitty choices as well as when he finds out he's gonna be a dad.

3. Empire Strikes Back - Fisher and Ford really sell the romance under duress, Hamill is great in the training with Yoda.

4. Force Awakens - All of the new cast kills it, Harrison might just be channeling himself as a tired old man but it works.

5. Rouge One - the rebels are all good actors, especially Diego Luna; he really sells the turmoil of doing bad things for a greater cause.

6. A New Hope - Harrison Ford carries this film; he's the only one that seems comfortable in his skin and casually emotes, of course Peter Cushing is the other side of this equation as the sublime villain of the piece, Alec Guinness kill also as the weathered old master.

7. Phantom Menace - Liam Neeson is the reason this film works on any level actor wise; Ian McDiarmid is also a gem but he doesn't have much to do although his appearances as Sidious are a highlight.

8. Attack of the Clones - this film doesn't have much going for it acting wise except Christopher Lee but he's not in it enough.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2017 12:23 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

The amount of times I cringe when I watch the movie determines its placement.

I'll admit I haven't watched the sequels in their entirety for a while now, but I can say these are the lines I roll-over in bed at:

ANH: "I'm the Captain of the Millenium Falcon..." and anything else he says at Mos Eisley. And my god is the dialogue between him and Jabba terrible.

ESB: I cringe at the dialogue between Han and Leia on cloud city.
Most of Lando's lines came off as artificial.

RotJ: Nothing comes to mind atm.

RotS: Jesus Christ. Hayden on top of Portman's "Ani, I love you!...you're going down a path I can't follow!..." was enough to cut myself.

Sam Jackson is good and all, but anything he said to Palpatine was so forced.

AotC: By far the worst. Hayden's whining on top of his sh1tty love dialogues with Padme are literal ass. The Kaminoans also sucked.

TPM: Yep basically Liam Neeson. Every time I saw Qui-Gon I thought Schindler's List which is why I put it above AotC.

Rogue 1: Can't think of anything cringy.

TFA: Rey, Kylo, Hux, everyone. I. left. the. movie. half. way. through.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 13th, 2017 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
TFA: Rey, Kylo, Hux, everyone. I. left. the. movie. half. way. through.

Hux is absolutely terrible. Why they chose that actor for that role is beyond me

Old Post Oct 13th, 2017 02:45 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote