KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thoughts on Obi-Wan spin-off featuring Vader vs Obi?

Thoughts?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, a fight would be cool. 3 33.33%
No, a fight doesn't work / would not be cool. 6 66.67%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thoughts on Obi-Wan spin-off featuring Vader vs Obi?
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Thoughts on Obi-Wan spin-off featuring Vader vs Obi?

As I highlighted in the thread I created yesterday, Anakin and Vader weren't the same character when A New Hope was released.

This makes sense given how anti-climatic the Vader vs Obi-Wan confrontation actually is.

You'd naturally expect Vader's reaction to seeing Obi-Wan be more akin to:

(please log in to view the image)

rather than:

Obi-Wan, we meet again at last. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master!

Obi-Wan's lines are likewise irrelevant and / or strange with the other films in context.

---

So, what would your guys thoughts be of having a proper Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader confrontation in the spin-off?

This could give the needed emotional drama and explain why this matchup on the Death Star isn't as crazed as it seems.

And to briefly address the dialogue that any might use as a counter-point:

Obi-Wan, he might again at last.

This doesn't necessitate the last confrontation they had being the Mustafar duel. This could be their last encounter since a Jedi Purge-era rematch.

When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master!

This line doesn't even make sense if you're viewing it within the context of the Mustafar duel. Vader "left" Obi-Wan before their battle on Mustafar. Then, at the end of the battle, it's Obi-Wan who leaves Vader. This line was written a year before the Mustafar duel was even thought of. It's referring to Vader leaving the Jedi Order. Thus, I don't seen any reason why this line alone would rule out the possibility of them fighting. If it does, then it does for the Mustafar fight too, but given we know that happened, it should be fine.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 29th, 2017 at 09:38 PM

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 09:35 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

I hope Vader is hard pressed and has to use the force to win. Obi's a better duelist smile

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 09:42 PM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Oh, to add on, Lucas thought of a second confrontation to Obi-Wan and Vader after the Mustafar duel in the final draft of Return of the Jedi:

Obi-Wan: When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. My pride has had terrible consequences for the galaxy. I also thought he could be turned back to the good side. It couldn't be done. He is more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.

So, it seems Obi-Wan and suit-Vader did have a rematch between the Mustafar duel and the Death Star duel as of 1983, and that it was only cut out of the film for time purposes.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 29th, 2017 at 09:53 PM

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 09:50 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I hope Obi just presses the button on Vader's control panel to shut-off his life support.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 09:52 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlueTiger1144

In ROTJ, Vader even tells to Luke that Obi Wan once thought as he did. Of turning Vader back to the good side. Might be the case if there was a rematch in between ROTS and ANH.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 10:17 PM
Click here to Send BlueTiger1144 a Private Message Find more posts by BlueTiger1144 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Hell no.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 10:32 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Why not?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 10:54 PM
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Hell no.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 11:11 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

It’s inevitable. Who else can match Kenobi?

If they didn’t want to use Vader then they would have kept Maul around.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 12:04 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 11:12 AM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Also "Your Powers are weak old man", might make more sense if the spin off movie shows Obi-Wan at the height of his power.

Still, the line "I sense something, a presence I haven't felt since..." has much more dramatic effect if referring to the Mustafar duel, so I'd prefer this not to happen.

But It Will Happen.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 12:22 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

@Ant: Why are you trying to keep this forum alive? What's the point?

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 04:52 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Hell no.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 04:17 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote