KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How much of a factor does physical ability play in a duel?

How much of a factor does physical ability play in a duel?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Star Wars: Ant Edition RPG

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 12:57 AM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TenebrousWay
Star Wars: Ant Edition RPG

Darth Ant > Pablo Hidalgo

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 01:48 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyway ant, if we use your point system, wouldn't it make sense that Sith Dooku in his 20 year old body would need to spend fewer force points on residual augmentation (endurance, physical strength, etc) than his 80 year-old self? Yes all users augment to unnatural levels of strength and speed, but surely they build upon what they have already. Savage Oppress is already strong enough biologically to where he doesn't have to spend as many force points on speed and strength than someone like Jocasta Nu who needs to compensate for her biological handicaps in addition to maintaining "combat speed and strength".

So obviously there is a reason why jedi aren't just fat fu*ks who depend solely on force augmentation as combatants.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 06:26 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

I got a chuckle out of Dooku's age being the cause of his poorly state in the TCW fight. Not, yeno, the fact he was poisoned by a witch with power to rival Sidious.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 06:31 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Yeah but then there's the argument. The older Force User has much large Force reserves to compensate and thus they can match the younger guy cause he doesn't have the bigger Force reserves and thus the older one can win because he's more skilled or something.

Least that's what I've seen, which to a point I can agree with but not fully so.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 06:33 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Kurk
Anyway ant, if we use your point system, wouldn't it make sense that Sith Dooku in his 20 year old body would need to spend fewer force points on residual augmentation (endurance, physical strength, etc) than his 80 year-old self? Yes all users augment to unnatural levels of strength and speed, but surely they build upon what they have already. Savage Oppress is already strong enough biologically to where he doesn't have to spend as many force points on speed and strength than someone like Jocasta Nu who needs to compensate for her biological handicaps in addition to maintaining "combat speed and strength".

So obviously there is a reason why jedi aren't just fat fu*ks who depend solely on force augmentation as combatants.

As I already said, sure, but it's not at all what the novel is discussing, nor has that ever made any difference in any fight in the history of Legends that I can think of. It's a marginal difference that, when considered to the grand scheme of things and the host of Force-users that it would apply to, is rendered irrelevant, since ultimately the energy being put in to reset these elderly individuals to normal human levels is marginal compared to normal human levels to super-powered Force-users in the Legends continuity. Compared to Anakin's might, a peak non-Force sensitive human's body is crumbling just as fast as an elderly one.

Generally speaking, I imagine Force users simply adapt and naturally relocate their power to handle this small aging issue regardless by subtle shifts in their fighting style and the like. Take Qui-Gon, for example, who backed off the acrobatics as he began to age, and instead seemed to focus more on a more strength-based fighting style.

I stress again what you're discussing here is completely seperate from anything involving the ROTS novel or TCW, and also really any book ever, and is much more in the hypothetical realm of things.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 06:55 PM

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Yeah but then there's the argument. The older Force User has much large Force reserves to compensate and thus they can match the younger guy cause he doesn't have the bigger Force reserves and thus the older one can win because he's more skilled or something.

Least that's what I've seen, which to a point I can agree with but not fully so.

While I know you didn't come up with that, that's just outright wrong, tbh.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 07:06 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ILS
I got a chuckle out of Dooku's age being the cause of his poorly state in the TCW fight. Not, yeno, the fact he was poisoned by a witch with power to rival Sidious.
Talzin just said that the poison would cloud his senses; not sure how that would affect his endurance

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 07:07 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird

Very few people will be able to even stand up to Anakin's physical strength regardless of their age.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 07:08 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
While I know you didn't come up with that, that's just outright wrong, tbh.

/Shrug

Well I've seen it being used and from what I recall, no one really disputed it.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 07:09 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Zenwolf
/Shrug

Well I've seen it being used and from what I recall, no one really disputed it.

Force reserves should be the amount of total Force power (potential + applicable) not being used for passive functions (ex. Force sense) and, if in combat, active ones (ex. augmented speed).

Anakin's Force reserves would be immeasurable, whereas someone like Obi-Wan's less-so.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 07:17 PM
TheNuisanceBird

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Anakin's Force reserves would be immeasurable, whereas someone like Obi-Wan's less-so.

They are. In the ROTS novel I think I remember Sidious noting in the opera scene how Anakin's Force reserves were seemingly endless.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 11:13 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why was Kenobi able to handle Anakin longer than Dooku? It can't be all form dependent, can it? Obi-Wan is at most on the same level as Dooku force-reserve wise, right?

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 02:17 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Anakin was severely mentally handicapped and emotionally unstable, weakening his ability to fight or use the Force, making him far inferior to how he was on the Invisible Hand or Operation Knightfall. This, added onto the fact Obi-Wan and Anakin have spent thousands of hours sparring and have forms that perfectly match each other, allowed Obi-Wan to simply prolong the fight versus Anakin until Anakin's emotion fully consumed him.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 02:40 PM
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why was Kenobi able to handle Anakin longer than Dooku? It can't be all form dependent, can it? Obi-Wan is at most on the same level as Dooku force-reserve wise, right?

PIS, like all of Kenobi's victories

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 09:20 PM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird

Now that I think about it:

Kar-Vastor VS Sidious in a physical only round at the same speed would be interesting.

Thinking back on it, the Forcecast wasn't wrong when they said Sidious wouldn't be as effective without physical augmentation although I'd still say he's capable.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2017 02:41 PM