KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » *spoilers* did Disney make the right decision for Snoke in Last Jedi?

*spoilers* did Disney make the right decision for Snoke in Last Jedi?
Started by: redpill

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
redpill

Barf *spoilers* did Disney make the right decision for Snoke in Last Jedi?

*spoilers*

did Disney make the right decision for Snoke in Last Jedi?

sounds worse than how apocalypse died in X-men movie, with jean grey turning into phoenix.

in both movies, i would have preferred an epic showdown, a very intense battle scene

at least snoke vs luke and rey and kylo ren combined using every special effect

from how snoke was defeated i'm like mad

maul it sounds gave qui gon jinn and obi wan a better fight

snoke is supposedly more powerful than vader and sidious

this is almost like maul all over again.

in TPM maul just 1 line then is cut down after a long and invovled fight.

in TFA we get a couple of appearances of snoke then like maul he easily gets cut in half in last jedi

mad

i originally hoped to see a new trilogy based on old republic that devlves into snoke's origins but if he dies like this roll eyes (sarcastic)

Last edited by redpill on Dec 14th, 2017 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 01:23 AM
Click here to Send redpill a Private Message Find more posts by redpill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greysentinel365

I think it's fair to say at this point Serkis was talking out of his ass.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 01:25 AM
Click here to Send Greysentinel365 a Private Message Find more posts by Greysentinel365 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

its a good way to deviate from Palpatine but yeah, its certainly a waste to kill him off so abruptly although ill be interested to see how Kylo runs the First Order

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 02:01 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

The minute Snoke was revealed in TFA I figured...."Great, this is essentially another Emperor 2.0 villain. Rian Johnson cleaned this mess up fairly well.

Lots of people, myself included, knocked TFA for being safe and not taking any risk. This one was ballsy. I can't complain.

I like George.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 02:18 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Yeah, it's a pretty lazy way to get rid of him. Espeically since he's saying he sees everything going through Kylo Ren's mind. Oh, but except that he's about to kill you.

Really stupid.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 03:56 PM
Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, it's a pretty lazy way to get rid of him. Espeically since he's saying he sees everything going through Kylo Ren's mind. Oh, but except that he's about to kill you.

Really stupid.

at the very least,

have an epic show down between snoke and luke, using dazzling force powers

most amazing light saber sequence, topping everything ever seen before

and then both dying from each other's power. luke sacrificing himself to save kylo and rey

why watch episode 9? mad

Old Post Dec 14th, 2017 09:39 PM
Click here to Send redpill a Private Message Find more posts by redpill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't know if we can lay this one at Disney's door. But to my mind they killed him before his usefulness to the plot was done- there feels like a gap there. It did also undercut him as an effective villain (pun possibly intended), which is a shame as they had done a lot to start to build him up.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 01:21 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Snoke..... worst or weakest supreme leader of all time
Weakest dark force user ever......

Was it Rey or Kylo that killed him?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 05:44 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Originally posted by redpill

why watch episode 9? mad

Really......

For episode 9, All that’s left is Kylo and Rey. All that could really happen now is Kylo dying or turning to the good side. Or both of them die

Kinda sad and upsetting Rey’s parents are nobody’s and obviously non force beings......
Unless Kylo was lying......?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 07:54 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by JediRobin23

Weakest dark force user ever......

quite the opposite IMO, which made it worse. i saw him exhibit abilities that palps/vader couldnt even touch. most notably being able to throw someone around from lightyears away and the way he clearly and casually overpowered kylo and rey's abilities. as for his untimely halving, arrogance and overconfidence was always been a characteristic and weakness of the sith. so to me "why didn't snoke sense betrayal" is just as pointless a question to ask as "why didn't palpatine sense vader's betrayal". pointless because the answer could easily be "they got caught up in the moment and became shortsighted". the reason this is bad is because snoke was kinda established as the most powerful darkside user ever (IMHO) and thus the story's yardstick for power. we don't truly find out how powerful luke became until he took on vader and bested him. kylo can never have that moment to prove himself to be the untimate dark-side user because now this trilogy's yardstick is now cut in half. at this point the only way i can see to resolve this is for kylo to overpower and defeat luke.

i do have other complaints which i don't feel like voicing now.

@ush: i wouldnt pop open the champagne just yet, because i'm still not convinced that there will be no 'grey jedi' theme.

exhibit a: "Rey: Light. Darkness. A balance." -seems to imply that balance of the force is indeed a balance between light and dark, as opposed to 'balance' as in 'undisturbed by dark-side forces'.

exhibit b: the way rey is instantly drawn to the dark side, but yet seems to explore it and gain a non-emotional familiarity with it, and later seems to feel zero desire for power when invited to rule. to me it seems to imply that she will find a way to use that side of the force without succumbing to it, which would really negate everything important before TFA.

exhibit c: the asian girl and her sister who wore the obvious yin-yang symbol around her neck. it's not much of arguable evidence, but simply pointing out sybolism which i don't believe will prove to be non-consequential.

all said i give it a 6.5/10 because i thought it was an overall sloppy and chaotic story which would have really benefited from much cutting. i think the ideal version of that film would be well under 2 hours.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Dec 15th, 2017 at 02:44 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:38 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I wasn't too worried by that rhetoric. I don't think it was pushing a grey agenda; I took it as seeing the whole as part of one system.

There's much stronger rhetoric the other way- Luke says there was balance for a while after ROTJ, which is after killing off the Sith, which is pretty clear. Luke is sceptical about the Jedi but is effectively shown to be just jaded and explicitly changes his mind by the end of the film (there's a review up on Den of Geek which says that they felt it was going away from the Jedi religion, which seems completely absurd an interpretation to me seeing what Luke said to Ren).

And more broadly than that- although they present a world of some complications (both sides have to buy arms from arms dealers), it's still all fundamentally good vs evil, light vs dark. The ending is us needing the Jedi to champion the light.

What will be weird plotwise there is that I suspect the new trilogy will create a setting (possibly for RJ's new films) which is what we already thought we had after ROTJ- Empire defeated, new Jedi. It's a strange plot cul-de-sac.

(That Den of Geek review also said Rey having no important origin is some sort of freeing up from the Force implying anyone can be that powerful, which is gibberish- she was still born to it and Snoke pretty much explains that her existence is a counter to Ren, which is back to the Skywalkers. I think some reviewers see what they want to)

Still, if IX goes all grey then I am wrong.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 15th, 2017 at 02:52 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 02:49 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I don't think it was pushing a grey agenda;

(please log in to view the image)

oh but we are, earthling

eek! laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing out loud

Last edited by redpill on Dec 15th, 2017 at 05:23 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 05:20 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I like it. It's refreshing not just to have another standard top villain for everyone to rally and fight against, one who's just there, being a emperor.

They killed him to subvert expectations and keep the focus on the central characters. Good move.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 01:18 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I like it. It's refreshing not just to have another standard top villain for everyone to rally and fight against, one who's just there, being a emperor.

They killed him to subvert expectations and keep the focus on the central characters. Good move.

but why watch episode 9?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:45 AM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

So hard to let go........

OT, particularly.......do or do not, there is no try

Last edited by JediRobin23 on Dec 17th, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 10:33 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
quite the opposite IMO, which made it worse. i saw him exhibit abilities that palps/vader couldnt even touch. most notably being able to throw someone around from lightyears away and the way he clearly and casually overpowered kylo and rey's abilities.

quote:
the reason this is bad is because snoke was kinda established as the most powerful darkside user ever (IMHO)
no

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 12:00 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by redpill
but why watch episode 9?
To see what the conclusion is to the story's of Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe, etc.? Like... f*cking what else would it be? You don't need an archetypical THE OLD MAN EMPEROR for every fantasy franchise. We have villains enough in Kylo and Hux.

I love how if it has too many similarities to the previous Star Wars, people hate it. But if you do something different like having the apprentice kill the emperor-master in Act 2, suddenly its TOO different! and people hate it.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 03:43 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redpill

yeah but snoke is kinda funny

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 04:21 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Beniboybling
no

you disagree?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 02:29 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

I liked Snoke. His char was unfortunately not delved deeper into but he has some interesting facets. The fact that he is below Sidious, Vader and Dooku makes him more interesting imo. Smart of him to stay away from the main Galaxy till the others are dead and he came out on top after all. A shame he was killed that fast but yeah, makes it less ESB like. It would be worse if he survives till EP 9 and gets the ROTJ treatment like Palp.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Dec 18th, 2017 06:52 PM
Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote