KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » So - How powerful is Snoke, exactly?

So - How powerful is Snoke, exactly?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 06:29 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
It isn't as widespread but it's definitely more impressive in an all out war. Their tech is far superior so who cares how many more ships and fleets they have when they are vastly inferior to the First Order. Starkiller base, Death Star tech, light speed tracking, Supremacy, etc.

First Order would decimate the empire. They intimidate while Sidious does his feminine duplicitous thing in the shadows like a true shady galactic politician. Snoke would bring his empire to its knees with what we see from the First Order.

What kind of an impact did the atomic bomb have ? Weapons of mass destruction and superior tech matters significantly.

FO tech is definitely superior. But the Visual Dictionary says its fleet is too small to rival the Empire, despite its firepower.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 06:34 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by The_Tempest
FO tech is definitely superior. But the Visual Dictionary says its fleet is too small to rival the Empire, despite its firepower.

Given the way they are treating the Canon GE, that's a surprise actually...but then the FO hasn't had much either. It seems that the FO has superior tech in some areas, it doesn't seem to have it in others. Namely their troopers with their helmets unable to filter out toxins and other things of that nature, although these are more minor details really.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Dec 25th, 2017 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 07:13 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

It's probably like comparing the Taliban to the Nazis: they have better tech in some areas (e.g. electronics, firearms) but lack the sheer industry (which translates to some tech gaps too).

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 07:19 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

thumb up

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 07:37 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

In size not in raw power. Starkiller base alone would rip through Sidious' Death Stars in a single barrage.

They have fleet killers at the First Order's disposal. Palpatine ruled through duplicity whereas Snoke ruled through power and brute force. I have always said which kind of character I prefer here. I am consistent.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:27 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by quanchi112
In size not in raw power. Starkiller base alone would rip through Sidious' Death Stars in a single barrage.

They have fleet killers at the First Order's disposal. Palpatine ruled through duplicity whereas Snoke ruled through power and brute force. I have always said which kind of character I prefer here. I am consistent.

Nah, the book says the FO's navy is too small to rival the Empire's despite its firepower. Meaning that while the FO has greater firepower pound for pound, it's just too small to be on par with the Empire.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:32 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

The space battles were just lolworthy anyway, with the brilliant idea of dropping bombs right above targets like WW1 and a plot-breaking light speed ramming that nobody's ever thought of before.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:34 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

By and large, space battles have never been Star Wars' forte beyond the visual spectacle. But I can see why people were a bit disturbed.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:36 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Nah, the book says the FO's navy is too small to rival the Empire's despite its firepower. Meaning that while the FO has greater firepower pound for pound, it's just too small to be on par with the Empire.
In size not in terms of power. You don't need invasion squads when you can take out five planets per Starkiller's barrages. Would you be interested in battlezoning the First Order vs. your empire post episode 9's DVD release. I know it's a while away but if you're confident then why not.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:39 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

quote:
Force Awakens Visual Dictionary
Though too small to rival the navy of the Galactic Empire at its height, the First Order Fleet is nonetheless a formidable concentration of spaceborne destructive power.

The First Order has greater tech and pound-for-pound greater firepower. But its fleet is too small to rival the Empire's.

It's not just smaller. It's too small to rival the Empire.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:48 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Tempest is correct, here.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:53 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

The First Order has greater tech and pound-for-pound greater firepower. But its fleet is too small to rival the Empire's.

It's not just smaller. It's too small to rival the Empire.
In size as I said not in terms of power as I said. I also said with a weapon that can obliterate multiple planets per usage I'll debate for the First Order. If you're so funnily convinced then agree to the challenge. Shouldn't this be a walk in the park, Gideon ? Comprise another Palpatinesque type essay focusing on the strengths of the empire with what we see on screen.

You'll already have a trilogy, Rogue One, and possibly Han Solo as additional examples of the empire's might. This won't be for years so just say yes and we can work out the specifics when the time comes.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 08:53 PM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Tempest is correct, here.

👍

The text is pretty straightforward.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 09:01 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Battlezone challenge ? Just say yes.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 09:03 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quanchi you're not interpreting the language properly, "too small to rival" with no "in size qualifier implies "size disadvantage not compensated for by later mentioned tech advantage", not "smaller in size".

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 09:35 PM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by The Ellimist
quanchi you're not interpreting the language properly, "too small to rival" with no "in size qualifier implies "size disadvantage not compensated for by later mentioned tech advantage", not "smaller in size".

👍

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 09:56 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Going back to the thread at hand, the only people I see as being above Snoke definitively (as of right now) are Luke, Sidious, Yoda, and Anakin. Some would say Vader is more powerful than Anakin (though I'd contest the notion,) so maybe you could include peak!Vader as well (though I'm not sure, personally). Windu I'm also not really sure about.

I'm also not really seeing how Snoke's admiration for Vader implies that Snoke is inferior. Hell, Snoke wanted Kylo to become the next Vader, but ultimately still have Kylo under his thumb.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Dec 25th, 2017 11:11 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by The Ellimist
If I am then why won't he accept the challenge since this will be so easy ?

I say the power of the First Order argued by me defeats the empire argued by Tempest. If it's a walk in the park let's see this out and give kmc a battlezone that will actually be debated.

Last edited by quanchi112 on Dec 26th, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 12:17 AM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Lmao the First Order has like thirty star destroyers in total, the Republic had like several thousand above Coruscant in the opening RotS scene alone, let alone the larger imperial star fleet.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 12:47 AM