KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Who here has steam and has never played Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?

Who here has steam and has never played Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Who here has steam and has never played Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy?

!

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 09:21 AM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Me unfortunately sad

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 11:58 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

I've played since I was three.

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 01:29 PM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Me unfortunately sad

Buy em. I believe they are around 10 bucks on steam, well worth the money.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 05:07 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I'm playing through Academy again on Steam heh, also finished Republic Commando yesterday, still awesome, both are. It's a little surprising that games decades old are much better than the newer ones...sad...

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 05:21 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I'm playing through Academy again on Steam heh, also finished Republic Commando yesterday, still awesome, both are. It's a little surprising that games decades old are much better than the newer ones...sad...
Half the people on KMC in the Star Wars section have TOR > Jedi Academy. Thats legitimately insane considering TOR is just a vanilla MMO with a good storyline and a star wars paint job.

In some ways I actually preferred Galaxies, but to each their own. Swinging around a lightsaber is just... funner then pressing buttons and clicking a target.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 05:46 PM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I think it's mostly that TOR is juicier for vs. debates.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 05:53 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Originally posted by Trocity
Buy em. I believe they are around 10 bucks on steam, well worth the money.
Yeah, I Should play them. I remember I played I think Academy when I was like 6-7 and I had a lot of fun. Unfortunately for some reason the game was in English instead of Italian and I didn’t understand a single thing of what I was told to do, so I kinda got stuck in some mission big grin

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

It's pretty great, just started playing late last night and there's the Luke I remember!

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Half the people on KMC in the Star Wars section have TOR > Jedi Academy. Thats legitimately insane considering TOR is just a vanilla MMO with a good storyline and a star wars paint job.

In some ways I actually preferred Galaxies, but to each their own. Swinging around a lightsaber is just... funner then pressing buttons and clicking a target.

I did enjoy Galaxies a whole lot and I found TOR fine at the beginning, though not so much later.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2017 06:22 PM
Jmanghan

TOTAL WARRIOR IS NOW ABOUT TO BECOME FAR MORE ENGROSSED IN STAR WARS LORE.

Bought him $80 worth of games on steam.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 08:42 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Meh, some people put more weight in story than gameplay. I prefer TOR because I like the story and characters a hell of a lot more than the cardboard cutouts in JA so I'm way more invested in it as a game.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 08:57 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Nephthys
Meh, some people put more weight in story than gameplay. I prefer TOR because I like the story and characters a hell of a lot more than the cardboard cutouts in JA so I'm way more invested in it as a game.
Yeah, but even then, all they need to do is turn to mods.

Jedi Academy, you can make your own story, with so many resources working around it.

And after you beat the story, what keeps you playing?

You could just download MBII or even play the base multiplayer, it gives off far more tension because TOR is a very progression-based game, whereas if you're good, or even somewhat competent, you can breeze through every mission in JKA.

I quit TOR because I had to keep grinding and grinding to see a story I knew mostly about because of debating I've done.

It doesn't help that doing every mission on a given planet doesn't give you enough exp to fight that planet's story boss most of the time.

I was grinding enemies for awhile just to fight Darth Tarnis at the time, and the whole time I was like "Wow, okay, so I just beat... the weakest Sith Lord, if you could even call him that, now I have to grind tons more to get through the rest of the game."

When, I could just download Tarnis and HoT models for JKA, put them in the game, and then just play to my hearts content on single-player and multiplayer.

Not even that, but you could just straight up watch the cutscenes on youtube. But besides that, the Outlander/HoT is pretty dull, and considering his is the "main" storyline, it kinda ruins the game. Revan is still the most interesting character in the ToR universe, imo.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 09:43 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I don't count mods as a pro for a game and I don't want to make my own story. Any game can do that and get credit. And I don't like having to spend time creating content for a game for it to be fun instead of just playing it.

You mean after I beat the 8 class storylines, all the planetary quests, the endgame content and all the expansions? I suppose I go play something else very satisfied with the hundreds of hours of content I enjoyed.

I've never had to grind in TOR. Sure I did the sidequests if thats what you mean, but that isn't really grinding. Plus after it went FTP you could get exp boosters and there were frequent x4/6/8 exp events where you levelled extremely quickly.

Pretty sure you did get enough to fight the boss. I'm really unsure how you had so much trouble levelling. You must have played it super early or something. But then, I played at launch and never had issues. I suppose I was a level behind the curve occasionally but that's not a big deal.

You can watch cutscenes or gameplay for every game. It's not the same as actually playing and isn't a real criticism against the game itself imo.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 09:55 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

TOTAL WARRIOR IS NOW ABOUT TO BECOME FAR MORE ENGROSSED IN STAR WARS LORE.

Bought him $80 worth of games on steam.
hahahah i’ll soon become the bestest debater in this forum

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 11:46 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Nephthys
I don't count mods as a pro for a game and I don't want to make my own story. Any game can do that and get credit. And I don't like having to spend time creating content for a game for it to be fun instead of just playing it.

You mean after I beat the 8 class storylines, all the planetary quests, the endgame content and all the expansions? I suppose I go play something else very satisfied with the hundreds of hours of content I enjoyed.

I've never had to grind in TOR. Sure I did the sidequests if thats what you mean, but that isn't really grinding. Plus after it went FTP you could get exp boosters and there were frequent x4/6/8 exp events where you levelled extremely quickly.

Pretty sure you did get enough to fight the boss. I'm really unsure how you had so much trouble levelling. You must have played it super early or something. But then, I played at launch and never had issues. I suppose I was a level behind the curve occasionally but that's not a big deal.

You can watch cutscenes or gameplay for every game. It's not the same as actually playing and isn't a real criticism against the game itself imo.

Yeah the sidequests is what I meant, maybe it was just my build, but I had trouble even with Kira after doing all the Coruscant quests taking down Darth Tarnis, I had to go outside and grind Dark Jedi to kill him, and yeah I did play near the launch, open beta, in fact.

Not counting mods in JKA is basically neutering it, some of the biggest communities in the game go to mods, like MovieBattles II, Galaxies, etc.

At the end of the day though, the point of a game IS the gameplay, and the gameplay in TOR becomes boring when you start to know the outcome of every battle. "I'm not a high enough level, and don't have good enough equipment to take down these guys".

In Jedi Academy, if you devmap to the final boss, you can beat them without force powers.

Then, why stop there? Practically every versus match-up ever made on this board can be made in Jedi Academy, and then some.

Want the NJO to take on Ancient Sith? You can do that. Want TOR Jedi and Sith like Valkorion to take on people like Anakin, Mace, or Sidious? You can do that.

I know people really like Jadus, Malgus, and Satele. You can play AS them in Jedi Academy, not as your character trying to cosplay as them.

If you wanna play as your own personal character, you can do that, the base character creator sucks, but with mods you have endless options.

The possibilities are limitless, and even with the hundreds of hours invested in TOR, JKA can offer you even more.

I alone without even touching half the most extensive mods, like MovieBattles II, Evolution of Combat, or many more, have put almost 1,000 hours into the game.

Plus, the story in TOR isn't THAT great, KOTOR had a better story and characters, KOTOR II had too many loose ends, but at least your character wasn't a cardboard box.

I never felt super attached to anyone in TOR, except for maybe Khem Val.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2017 11:30 PM