KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Rey's new lightsaber

Rey's new lightsaber
Started by: Nephthys

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

You don't like Tarkin?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 10:54 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Love Tarkin.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 10:57 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 11:05 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Ok but for real:

Krennic is a fantastic villain. The intro sequence alone has more personality than Dooku had in two entire movies. In that he has one. He has an actual personal connection to the protagonist which is emotionally resonant in the movie. Hes a total dick but he's also pretty funny at times. I think he's pretty great.

Kylo Ren is in the running for the top spot of the series. Everyone loves him and for good reason. Easily the best thing in the new movies

Snoke is eh, but he still displayed more life and personality than Dooku ever did. Plus Dooku gets straight up beaten by Yoda and Anakin while Snoke is flat out far beyond Rey or Kylo. He still has several very effective scenes and his Force bond twist is genuinely great, unlike anything Dooku does.

I'm not sure I'd really count Hux or Phasma. They're more underlings. If you count them then I guess but Hux at least I'd argue is more effective in his role than Dooku.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 11:24 PM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Ok but for real:

Krennic is a fantastic villain. The intro sequence alone has more personality than Dooku had in two entire movies. In that he has one. He has an actual personal connection to the protagonist which is emotionally resonant in the movie. Hes a total dick but he's also pretty funny at times. I think he's pretty great.

Kylo Ren is in the running for the top spot of the series. Everyone loves him and for good reason. Easily the best thing in the new movies

Snoke is eh, but he still displayed more life and personality than Dooku ever did. Plus Dooku gets straight up beaten by Yoda and Anakin while Snoke is flat out far beyond Rey or Kylo. He still has several very effective scenes and his Force bond twist is genuinely great, unlike anything Dooku does.

I'm not sure I'd really count Hux or Phasma. They're more underlings. If you count them then I guess but Hux at least I'd argue is more effective in his role than Dooku.

Hard disagree. Yelling and throwing tantrums do not = fantastic characters. Krennic and Kylo especially come across as petulant children. Which is really not believable in the environments they are in. Dooku was much more nuanced and frankly more interesting even though he had limited exposure.

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 11:49 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Snoke in TFA was awesome, in TLJ I don't know yet.

Kylo is a great villain but not a great big bad because he isn't intimidating enough.

I admit I like the scenes with Hux but he's still an inept fool.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2017 11:55 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Hard disagree. Yelling and throwing tantrums do not = fantastic characters. Krennic and Kylo especially come across as petulant children. Which is really not believable in the environments they are in. Dooku was much more nuanced and frankly more interesting even though he had limited exposure.

People can yell and throw tantrums and still be fantastic characters, lol. Krennic isn't even that petulant. He's justifiably pissed at Tarkin for stealing his lifes work and shitcanning him. And he's exactly the kind of self-interested and morally bankrupt weasel you'd expect to find in the Empire's bureaucracy. People like him always find positions like his in the real world. And wtf is unbelievable about Kylo Ren. He's an unstable young white man who had every privilege in life, yet feels like the world has wronged him. Unbeknownst to his family, he finds and communicates with a faraway mentor who radicalizes him with a horrific, authoritarian ideology. By the time his family finds out, it’s too late, and now this unstable young white man has this horrific ideology, access to far too many weapons, and the desperate desire to demolish anything that he perceives as a threat– or is told to perceive as a threat. If anything he's way too believable.

Dooku has faux nuance. A great actor stiffly reading bad lines with phony, poorly-explained motivations.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2017 12:17 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I love Krennic and Kylo.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 30th, 2017 12:22 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote:
He's an unstable young white man who had every privilege in life, yet feels like the world has wronged him.
mad

Old Post Dec 30th, 2017 12:23 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

quote:

People can yell and throw tantrums and still be fantastic characters, lol. Krennic isn't even that petulant. He's justifiably pissed at Tarkin for stealing his lifes work and shitcanning him. And he's exactly the kind of self-interested and morally bankrupt weasel you'd expect to find in the Empire's bureaucracy. People like him always find positions like his in the real world. And wtf is unbelievable about Kylo Ren. He's an unstable young white man who had every privilege in life, yet feels like the world has wronged him. Unbeknownst to his family, he finds and communicates with a faraway mentor who radicalizes him with a horrific, authoritarian ideology. By the time his family finds out, it’s too late, and now this unstable young white man has this horrific ideology, access to far too many weapons, and the desperate desire to demolish anything that he perceives as a threat– or is told to perceive as a threat. If anything he's way too believable.

The tantrums aren't the problem, the problem is that the writing doesn't make them feel earned especially in the case of Kylo. Its a really rough acting trope in terms of being unable to express emotions without being so obvious about it. Then the tantrums just come across as a comedic moment, which then kind of shakes the tone of the film. Kylo is a great character, but most of the tantrums and screaming feel unearned. A perfect example of an earned outburst that came across quite well is when he shatters his helmet in the elevator after his first scene with Snoke. In general Kylo is far better in TLJ.

quote:

Dooku has faux nuance. A great actor stiffly reading bad lines with phony, poorly-explained motivations.

Eh, I'd take his scene with Obi-Wan in AOTCs over Krennic any day. Dooku was misused in ROTS though.

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 30th, 2017 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote