KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Did anyone within the SW universe care when Maul died?

Did anyone within the SW universe care when Maul died?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Quite unimaginative observations that don't account for any kind of relativity, but sure, true enough.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:09 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyway, let's do a quick, rough assessment.

Vader, aka Anakin, was born with the latent power of a deity that dwarved even Yoda and Sidious. He ultimately ended up a shell of his potential and a lapdog of Sidious', albeit an influential lapdog who ruled with an iron fist, and did a good job of fighting no-name Order 66 survivors over the course of 5-10 comic pages, or swinging at thin air at the likes of Jax Pavan and Ferus Olin. He also never attained the rank of Jedi master and was typically looked down upon by his peers as being a whiny teenager in a body too mature for his attitude.

Dooku was born into nobility with a silver spoon in his mouth, and was accepted into the Jedi where, to his credit, he used his prodigious intellect and Force potential to ascend the ranks. He was personally tutored by Yoda and made it to about the age of 70 as one of the richest men in the galaxy and one of the most well respected Jedi. He would then have his mind blown and his powers multiplied by Sheev, and would spend 13 years as a politically significant lapdog for Sidious, a step-in in the absence of Maul who would be soon replaced by someone more capable.

Then you have Maul, who achieved a comparable level of power to Dooku in a quarter of the time with less resources, and after cheating death, would have Dooku dead to rights despite starting at the bottom both politically and financially. He was also far closer than Dooku ever was to threatening Sidious' position of power, and ultimately when you account for relativity and proportion, accomplished more than Dooku in less time with less resources.

So really, while all three are quite impressive, one squandered the power of a god, one accomplished what you would expect out of someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and one was able to rival both in terms of "galactic significance" in a shorter timeframe with less resources, and didn't spend all of his time as a Sith up until his dying breath as Sidious' *****, and actually made a fair amount of progress in threatening his designs.

I anticipate in a timeline absent of deities, plot devices and poor writing Maul would have done quite well for himself, indeed. It's sad that most grasp eagerly on the low hanging fruit that is making fun of Maul when it is actually possible to say intelligent things about his role in the story, especially when you remove the rapidly decomposing scrotums of Dooku and Vader from your mouth for more than a moment.

wink

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:22 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Quesin~
Restricted

Account Restricted

No doubt that is must be incredibly frustrating to see something you've worked so hard on {Maul, more specifically his level of power and skill in addition to his character} get turned into a joke so quickly. At this point, he's the next Bane, though I doubt that anyone will ever stoop to that level. But we'll see. The coming months are definitely gonna be interesting.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:39 PM
Click here to Send ~Quesin~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Quesin~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Nah a lot of people here have Legends Maul ranked pretty highly.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:43 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Maul was raised to be a Sith lord since he was a youngling, only after his death he really started to take his own path but at the time he had already all the power and knowledge instilled by the teachings that the strongest Sith of all time has imparted him.

Dooku freely chose to become a Jedi, to leave the Jedi and to do a risky gamble with his wealth and political power that would influence the galaxy for generations to come. No amount of "but he had them moneeyz" will change the fact he honed his abilities and followed his past through his lifetime never settling down until we was betrayed by a stronger more influential figure.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:44 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Peak Maul > Revan smile

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:46 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Quesin~
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist

That doesn't stop him from being a meme.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:47 PM
Click here to Send ~Quesin~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Quesin~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by ~Quesin~
That doesn't stop him from being a meme.

Well ILS has done a lot to raise Maul but quanchi isn’t doing him any favors.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:48 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

thumb up

Which is a feat unto itself considering how poorly he's been handled and how apparent it is that people would rather pick low hanging fruit rather than make halfway-intelligent comments about him.
Originally posted by Bentley
Maul was raised to be a Sith lord since he was a youngling, only after his death he really started to take his own path but at the time he had already all the power and knowledge instilled by the teachings that the strongest Sith of all time has imparted him.

Dooku freely chose to become a Jedi, to leave the Jedi and to do a risky gamble with his wealth and political power that would influence the galaxy for generations to come. No amount of "but he had them moneeyz" will change the fact he honed his abilities and followed his past through his lifetime never settling down until we was betrayed by a stronger more influential figure.
I don't think anyone was taking credit away from Dooku based on his own merit. I simply put his merit into the correct frame, which is that of someone with talent and ample opportunity and resources to nurture that talent over the course of a lifetime. It's quite evident that Dooku inherited as much as he worked for in life, whereas Maul despite his superior natural talent had to claw tooth and nail for every scrap of success he ever got.

I'm happy to give all three Sith their due, but if people are going to mindlessly slurp upon the fountain of sperm that is Dooku's tip while picking away at the low hanging fruit which is Maul's poor handling by incompetent writers, then I have no issues upsetting your somewhat delusional world view with some harsh truths.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 02:51 PM
quanchi112
Disney

I'm sure there were those who cared, like those in menial jobs living with relatives in small houses desperately clinging to some rebellious being with whom to belong smile
I still have the touch it would appear to inspire great upheaval and emotion.

smile

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:06 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Kurk
I can only wonder what Quanchi has to say about this. He praises Maul, but for what? Literally nobody cared about him; he carried no legacy.
He outlived those whom he cared for and cared for him. If your desire is to be loved across the board then you wouldn't be Maul so silly thread tbh. Kenobi cared though despite all the horrible things Maul did to him.

Last edited by quanchi112 on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 03:13 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:09 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

No doubt that is must be incredibly frustrating to see something you've worked so hard on {Maul, more specifically his level of power and skill in addition to his character} get turned into a joke so quickly. At this point, he's the next Bane, though I doubt that anyone will ever stoop to that level. But we'll see. The coming months are definitely gonna be interesting.
BTW, I'm not even sure what you mean. In your absence, DMB went on an incredibly successful campaign wanking Bane, earning him pretty universal respect, and if you hadn't noticed, two premier TOR wankers retired in the Maul vs Arcann thread, and no others stepped up to the plate to defend the new expansion's poster child.

So while the likes of me and DMB have successfully ran rather high-risk, high-reward campaigns which raised the standing of two characters who used to be universally mocked/lied about, you have unsuccessfully ran a low-risk low-fruit picking troll campaign which hasn't had a lasting impact on either character in the eyes of the majority.

The coming months will probably be more of the same; #teamswtor being beaten into a bloody pulp, and repetitive trolls losing their novelty. wink

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:11 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Yeah Maul > Arcann seems pretty set now.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:15 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah Maul > Arcann seems pretty set now.
A few little birdies have reported to me that this is the new consensus among some of the neutral posters and slightly less invested TOR fans.

Looks like hard work pays off.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:17 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

With Plagueis > Valk, Maul > Arcann and Vader > Revan, our victory will be more or less complete.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:19 PM
~Quesin~
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ILS
BTW, I'm not even sure what you mean. In your absence, DMB went on an incredibly successful campaign wanking Bane, earning him pretty universal respect, and if you hadn't noticed, two premier TOR wankers retired in the Maul vs Arcann thread, and no others stepped up to the plate to defend the new expansion's poster child.

So while the likes of me and DMB have successfully ran rather high-risk, high-reward campaigns which raised the standing of two characters who used to be universally mocked/lied about, you have unsuccessfully ran a low-risk low-fruit picking troll campaign which hasn't had a lasting impact on either character in the eyes of the majority.

The coming months will probably be more of the same; #teamswtor being beaten into a bloody pulp, and repetitive trolls losing their novelty. wink

If DMB has been successful in his attempt to raise Bane's standing among the members, I haven't really seen it. But even if he has, I wouldn't expect otherwise. At this point, the anti-Bane movement is, what, approaching 5 years old? The fact that it's still somewhat relevant, and has even spread to other forums {CV, for example}, isn't what I would call ''unsuccessful''. Its initiator was banned not long after it took pace, yet it was carried forward by other people. Pretty impressive and with more of an impact than probably anything in the last 10 years here. As to Maul, I haven't seen him getting raised either, really. People seem to have him just under Dooku, which they also did, like, since he was introduced in TCW.

But it's just funny seeing your dedication to Maul and your rage intertwine in this thread, that's all. Reminds me of 2013~2014 DMB, good times.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:32 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

If DMB has been successful in his attempt to raise Bane's standing among the members, I haven't really seen it. But even if he has, I wouldn't expect otherwise. At this point, the anti-Bane movement is, what, approaching 5 years old? The fact that it's still somewhat relevant, and has even spread to other forums {CV, for example}, isn't what I would call ''unsuccessful''. Its initiator was banned not long after it took pace, yet it was carried forward by other people. Pretty impressive and with more of an impact than probably anything in the last 10 years here. As to Maul, I haven't seen him getting raised either, really. People seem to have him just under Dooku, which they also did, like, since he was introduced in TCW.

But it's just funny seeing your dedication to Maul and your rage intertwine in this thread, that's all. Reminds me of 2013~2014 DMB, good times.
Indeed, much like Bane himself, you were the stepping stone for greater trolls such as carthage and stigma to carry the cause forward. Unfortunately though, unlike me, DMB, Ant, Tempest and other's efforts with specific characters, which have had permanent impacts on their standing, your low-enterprise trolling movement was simply a catalyst for further debate, and ended up raising Bane higher than ever before. You can claim not to be aware of any of this, but that's probably because much like Bane, you've been dead for a while. Again, I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding Maul; his standing compared to his own era's hierarchy hasn't changed (rather the era as a whole has ascended), but now it's pretty standard practice that any character short of your Kuns, Krayts, Vaylins and Revans get utterly shafted in a Maul vs thread, and unlike your own campaign with Bane, it required a modicum of intellect and perseverance for that to pay off.

But yes, it's funny seeing my rage pay off and your pride in your trolling come to an end. smile

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 03:37 PM
~Quesin~
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ILS
Indeed, much like Bane himself, you were the stepping stone for greater trolls such as carthage and stigma to carry the cause forward. Unfortunately though, unlike me, DMB, Ant, Tempest and other's efforts with specific characters, which have had permanent impacts on their standing, your low-enterprise trolling movement was simply a catalyst for further debate, and ended up raising Bane higher than ever before. You can claim not to be aware of any of this, but that's probably because much like Bane, you've been dead for a while. Again, I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding Maul; his standing compared to his own era's hierarchy hasn't changed (rather the era as a whole has ascended), but now it's pretty standard practice that any character short of your Kuns, Krayts, Vaylins and Revans get utterly shafted in a Maul vs thread, and unlike your own campaign with Bane, it required a modicum of intellect and perseverance for that to pay off.

But yes, it's funny seeing my rage pay off and your pride in your trolling come to an end. smile

But Bane isn't rated higher than ever before. He was borderline Sheev level before I started my thing, and now it appears that he's hanging around Maul level. So really, even 5 years on, the influence of the anti-Bane trolling is still lingering. As for Maul, that's still the same as before. He loses to Dooku+ characters and beats the rest. So nothing has really changed, except that Maul is getting more shit than ever because he's a good example of why Rebels is considered terrible. Ant's Revan campaign is the only other noteable one, but that probably owes as much to SWTOR itself becoming bigger with more/better feats as it does to him. Not only that, but generally, all other movements have been specific to that camp of people who support that movement, so to say {you weren't supportive and still isn't, of Ant's Revan campaign, for example}. The anti-Bane movement was shared between all camps alike. That's part of why it's so good. Hell, even SWL was rolling with it once. So to conclude, I won again. Some newer people might now know, but if they are influenced by the likes of Carthage, Stigma etc., that's automatically on me.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 04:00 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Carthage and his cohorts have this bizarre habit of conflating Canon and Legends, it's really weird.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 04:20 PM
Darth Thor

Well Maul obviously had a massive impact on Mandalores history at least.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2018 04:30 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote