KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Rakatan Star Destroyers vs Imperial Star Destroyers

Rakatan Star Destroyers vs Imperial Star Destroyers
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Rakatan Star Destroyers vs Imperial Star Destroyers

"When the Sith were led by Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the Sith armies used the ancient Star Forge to create a fleet of warships that rivaled modern Star Destroyers in size and power."

-- Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 09:58 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

As discussed, we've seen Malak's starfleet and he doesn't have ISD sized ships. This means that either:

1. The quote is wrong

2. The quote isn't referencing imperial star destroyers

3. The quote is referencing star destroyers that were destroyed offscreen or otherwise not shown anywhere

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 10:08 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

How do we know that? We only got ship size estimates in the RPG and those have been repeatedly incorrect.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2018 10:41 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

Funnily enough, Malak's ship was causing comparable level of explosions via, lazers to the 200GT quote for Star destroyer turbo lazers. While razing taris.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 12:33 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

@Zenwolf

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

He'll have an aneurysm.

Makes sense though, Rakatan tech is massively ahead of anything else we've seen outside of Iokath and the Gree.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 12:42 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

ISD stomps lol

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 12:43 AM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AncientPower
How do we know that? We only got ship size estimates in the RPG and those have been repeatedly incorrect.

We see them in KotOR lol. Even Malak's personal flagship is puny.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 01:29 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

The leviathan is 600 meters.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 01:45 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Haschwalth
The leviathan is 600 meters.

Yeah, so apparently Malak had these uber ISD-tier star destroyers but chose to go around on this 600 meter ex-Republic cruiser.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 01:49 AM
Haschwalth

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yeah, so apparently Malak had these uber ISD-tier star destroyers but chose to go around on this 600 meter ex-Republic cruiser.

Since when did size matter?
Different technology, would equate to different types of ships.
It's obvious throughout fiction, like Stargate.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 02:02 AM
The Merchant

I think this was in reference to the type of ships the Leviathan was, originally they were intended to be Rakatan war ships but later were retconnd to be Interdictors. An Interdictor does rival a a Victory Class Star destroyer in firepower and have the benefit of pulling ships out of hyperspace.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 02:52 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by The Merchant
I think this was in reference to the type of ships the Leviathan was, originally they were intended to be Rakatan war ships but later were retconnd to be Interdictors. An Interdictor does rival a a Victory Class Star destroyer in firepower and have the benefit of pulling ships out of hyperspace.

I figure you have a source? Because no source I've read states an Interdictor rivals a Victory, unless I'm missing a source that details the Interdictor. Every time I ask, I never get any source.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 03:07 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I figure you have a source? Because no source I've read states an Interdictor rivals a Victory, unless I'm missing a source that details the Interdictor. Every time I ask, I never get any source.

It doesn't even seem logical, since Interdictor SD is just Imperial-I with some weaponry removed, and gravity well projectors put in its place, lol.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 03:17 AM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by JKBart
It doesn't even seem logical, since Interdictor SD is just Imperial-I with some weaponry removed, and gravity well projectors put in its place, lol.

True, but the Immobilizer 418 is 600 meters long and could be called a Star Destroyer I guess.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser

The North Remembers

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 04:50 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

If I get the chance I'll go to my local book store and take a pic of thw source Wookipedia cites for that claim.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 05:33 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Lord Stark
True, but the Immobilizer 418 is 600 meters long and could be called a Star Destroyer I guess.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser

Under the class system, it wouldn't be classed as a Star Destroyer, it's a heavy cruiser according to the Anaxes War College System. Though the Interdictor-class Star Destroyer built by Kuat is indeed a Star Destroyer.

As far as the quote goes in the OP, if it's going off that system, then the only cruiser of the Kotor era at the time that would be classed as a Star Destroyer as far as size goes, would be the Centurion class.

A Star Destroyer size is from 1,000 to 2,000 meters.

A Centurion is sitting at 1,200 meters.

Now that quote doesn't specify any one Destroyer, there are multiple Destroyers in both size and weaponry.

So yes, the Centurion class does rival a Star Destroyer, that said however it doesn't do both. On one hand, it does outsize certain Destroyers but has fewer weapons. Even moreso it's outsized and outgunned from the majority of Destroyers seen.

So therefore, that quote isn't saying it rivals any one type of Destroyer, instead it's just in that class range and has firepower of a Destroyer.

That's the most logical sense I can make out of it.

@Merchant, k.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:00 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Aren't inexpugnable-class vessels largest in KoTOR era?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...=20140402152006

3100 m in TL.

---

KoTOR era Mandalorians also committed Star Destroyers (1200m in TL) to their war-effort against the Republic.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Feb 7th, 2018 at 07:06 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 06:54 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Aren't inexpugnable-class vessels largest in KoTOR era?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...=20140402152006

3100 m in TL.

---

KoTOR era Mandalorians also committed Star Destroyers (1200m in TL) to their war-effort against the Republic.

Well they are, but since the quote in the OP was referencing the Sith Empire under Revan and Malak, I was using only their ships.

But yeah, the Inexpundable-class tactical command ship is the biggest in diameter.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Feb 7th, 2018 at 07:12 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:10 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

So we can agree that the quote doesn't imply Malak has invisible, offscreen 1700 meter long ISD-tier warships.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2018 07:17 PM