KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » A short tangent on my life

A short tangent on my life
Started by: Gideun

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideun

A short tangent on my life

For all of my life, I have demonstrated narcissistic and egocentric traits, and this has typically manifested itself when I debate with other people. My family enjoys exchanging stories about how, when I was five- or six- or seven-years-old, I would constantly ask questions and debate with either my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles -- not necessarily about anything intellectually stimulating (I have been considered "gifted" all throughout my educational career, though I don't think I'm regarded as anything approaching "genius" or "prodigy") -- but about anything. And, a common fact for those who know me seems to be that I am undeniably stubborn and shackled by the strengths of my so-called convictions; by that, I mean, when I absolutely -- positively -- believe that I am right, and I am debating, there is no middle ground, and I have to convince the opposition that I am right. Now, obviously, this has not always worked; I've either been proven to be wrong, or people still refuse to accept what I consider to be an obvious truth. We could go on and on about where I believe this problematic trait derived itself from, but I didn't make this thread with the intent to simply vent on my frustration.

Since October 18th, 2005 (I was 14-years-old), I have been a member of KMC forums. For those three years, I debated in the Star Wars versus section. Admittedly, I have always been a fan of the Emperor since the very first day I watched the movies (for me, the key to a good sci-fi, drama, or action movie is a worthy villain), and so when I arrived, I was in for a surprise: Palpatine was considered an impossibly weak Sith Lord who accomplished his considerable goals through "luck" and by being the "benefactor of circumstance". So, I fought and fought and fought for three years, arguing to the contrary against a cabal of highly intelligent and much older users who were nonetheless gripped by unbelievable bias and dogma (they made tremendous arguments that Dooku, even, was superior to Darth Sidious).

Now, eventually, we managed to convince the rest of the forum about Palpatine's status as the most powerful Sith Lord and this cabal abdicated the forums entirely. But this new user, known as Nebaris (it was his first username) has been repeatedly been banned for being a sock after his original account was removed for rule breaking. Now, he's clearly very intelligent, but has taken the role of "devil's advocate" to a new extreme. We've all tried and tried for the past year to refute his constant assertions that Palpatine is actually a weak Sith Lord. The most recent thread is this (where he has only posted for the last few pages, the rest were posts made by the original cabal -- I am the user Gideon):

(add this site address here) /forums/showthread.php?threadid=400581&pagenumber=12#post10207759

...Basically, to cut it short, I've thrown everything I can at him and he attempts to argue it. Thus back to my original problem: I feel that I've failed somehow, and by not continuing to argue it, by "agreeing to disagree" (the failed tactic I tried here), I am conceding the argument itself, when I know I'm right. But I just lack the ambition, I guess, to argue it.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:36 PM
Click here to Send Gideun a Private Message Find more posts by Gideun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MoT-MoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

interesting, seems like u need psychological help tho

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:38 PM
Click here to Send MoT-MoT a Private Message Find more posts by MoT-MoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

this is legit the most pathetic cringepost i have ever read, how can one be so insecure about an internet debate over fictional characters lol and take that as some personal stuff lol

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:41 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

ayy lmao.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:45 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideun

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JKBart
this is legit the most pathetic cringepost i have ever read, how can one be so insecure about an internet debate over fictional characters lol and take that as some personal stuff lol

Please, I was only 18 at the time sick

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:46 PM
Click here to Send Gideun a Private Message Find more posts by Gideun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Successfully debating Turkish people is very impressive as I've found them to be incredibly stubborn on most topics.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:55 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideun

tempest sucks

Old Post Feb 19th, 2018 05:56 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

bump

Old Post Feb 25th, 2018 07:20 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

It’s always okay to voice how you feel. Star Wars is very special to me and I take it seriously.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2018 04:14 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote