KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Questions about Tarkin

Questions about Tarkin
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by relentless1
He may not be able to order Tarkin around but Tarkin certainly cannot order Vader around either; when he got Vader to stop choking out Motti it was a courtesy really
Filoni: "Because Tarkin's in charge. Outside of the Emperor, you'd be hard pressed to find somebody with more authority, especially militarily, than Tarkin. Tarkin outranks Vader. Vader has to listen to Tarkin."
-Source

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 02:32 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Darth Vader #12.... vader asks to make an example of Imperial officers, The Emperor says anyone but Tarkin, I have need of him... definitely makes it sound as if Tarkin is valued but he doesn't outrank Vader

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:41 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SimeonFromHell
Restricted

Account Restricted

Imagine Galan proving his point with legitimate sources, then still getting doubted multiple pages later lmao.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:45 PM
Click here to Send SimeonFromHell a Private Message Find more posts by SimeonFromHell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Darth Vader #12.... vader asks to make an example of Imperial officers, The Emperor says anyone but Tarkin, I have need of him... definitely makes it sound as if Tarkin is valued but he doesn't outrank Vader
He wasn't a Moff then; Just an admiral.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 09:51 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

...I'm genuinely perplexed by the willful ignorance surrounding the relative authority between Tarkin and Vader.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 10:07 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

As mentioned, the Vader comic series is set just a few weeks/months after the events of RotS... Before Tarkin had even attained Moff status, let alone Grand Moff status... but even that far back and Sheev STILL made it clear that he was out of Vader's 'jurisdiction'.

By the Rebels/ANH-era, however, Tarkin was indeed Vader's superior officer. This fact is quite incontrovertible, tbh.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 1st, 2018 at 03:28 PM

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 03:25 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've always wondered the same lol...Ive watched clips of Tarkin bossing around Vader, the grand inquisitor and even Thrawn, I was like wtf..next he'll be asking Sidious to bring him coffee.

SPOILERS

Reading the Vader comics Tarkin at the time was more highly ranked then Vader but then after the destruction of the Death Star Vader was put under the authority of the grand general. (Guy who warned Tarkin that the Death Star was vulnerable) after he ****ed up, Sidious gave Vader more authority and the executor star destroyer. The ex grand general got force choked fit his trouble.

In the newer comics I believe Vader was given even more authority and could kill anyone he wanted except Tarkin.

In return of the Jedi Vader was bossing around the grand moss that was in charge of the second Death Star

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:41 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sidious couldn't trust Anakin with big boy duties like overseeing the day-to-day military operations of a galactic empire. If he was in charge, everybody would be getting executed for forgetting to dot their i's.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I found this gem:

"He's so overwhelming in that first film, but you get to the point where you say, "Wait a minute, if he's so powerful, why doesn't he run the universe?" He even gets pushed around by the governors! They know the Emperor is the final word, so what happens is the same thing that happens in any corporation: Everybody worries about the top man, they don't worry about his goon. And by the time the Death Star is finished, it gives them the sense that they have a bigger, better suit than Darth Vader. In a standoff between the Death Star and Darth Vader, they have no question about who would win, and it's not this mumbo-jumbo Sith guy. So it's even more tragic, because he's not even an all-powerful bad guy, he's kind of a flunky."

This is from an interview with Lucas https://www.rollingstone.com/movies...-vader-20050602

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 08:35 PM
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

True that, he wasn't made full commander if the military IMO till later.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 09:33 PM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

-In Darth Vader v2 #12(set shortly after RotS), Vader was officially given the title/rank of 'Emperor's Voice', and also headed-up the Inquisitor program. He was able to punish/kill anyone in the Empire(no matter their rank), except Tarkin.

-By the time of Rebels/ANH, Vader commanded everyone in the Empire except Tarkin, who was well-established as Vader's superior officer.

-In Darth Vader v1 #1(set just after the events of ANH), Vader was demoted by Palpatine as a result of his failure with the Death Star, and put under the command of Grand General Tagge.

-By Darth Vader v1 #25(set shortly before ESB), Vader had finally redeemed himself to Palpatine, and was given back all of his previous power/authority. However, without Tarkin in the picture, he was now *the* highest ranking official in the Empire, barring the Palpatine himself. This is also when Vader was officially given more of a militaristic role: Sheev gave him control of the entire Imperial fleet, and command of the Executor.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 10:11 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 10:08 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

A more interesting question is had Tarkin survived the Death Star explosion whether Vader would have ended up outranking him.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 01:47 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Hard to say. Granted, Palpatine knew that Tarkin shared at least some of the blame in the Death Star's destruction, due to his arrogance of the weapon's touted superiority, but it was still Vader's fault that the Rebels were able to obtain plans for the Death Star in the first place. He was overly arrogant and allowed them to escape with the plans deliberately(even though Tarkin was counting on him to stop them):
https://i.imgur.com/tBsVdqD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/V2oTN6W.jpg

Had Tarkin survived the Death Star, they both would have been reprimanded harshly, but Vader would've undoubtedly got the shorter end of the disciplinary stick. Had he done his job right the first time(and stopped the Rebels then and there), the Death Star would have never been destroyed.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 02:09 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 02:04 PM
Zenwolf

Yeah, I can't believe Vader would just let the Rebels go with the plans...quite possibly the stupidest thing ever. Was a cool scene those last few minutes, but still.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 02:15 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Perhaps Carthage should consider adding Vader to his list of incompetent characters to troll.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 04:49 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

Originally posted by Galan007
(even though Tarkin was counting on him to stop them):
He was? i thought vader was just doing his own thing?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 01:11 AM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Mendax
He was? i thought vader was just doing his own thing?
Indeed. Tarkin was fully relying on Vader to stop the Rebel fleet while he handled the matter on Scarif.

Random Officer: "Sir, shall I begin targeting their fleet?"
Tarkin: "Lord Vader will handle the fleet. Target the base of Scarif..."
-Rogue One

Vader just let his arrogance in his own abilities blind him, and intentionally let the Rebels get away with the Death Star's plans -- honestly one of the single dumbest decisions/mistakes in SW history. As I said above: had Vader completed his task then and there and stopped the fleet, the Rebellion would have never obtained the plans, and the Death Star would've never been destroyed.

...Frankly, he's lucky that Palpatine just let him off with a simple demotion.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 4th, 2018 at 01:35 AM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 01:31 AM
ares834

Um... Vader didn't let the Rebels escape Scarif intentionally. The comic scans are clearly referring to ANH when Vader and Tarkin let the Millennium Falcon escape the DS with the plans.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 04:38 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Ah damnit, I was blurring lines and didn't catch that. ><

Still tho, he was just strolling along while the plans were at stake. Cool scene however.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 04:54 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ares834
Um... Vader didn't let the Rebels escape Scarif intentionally. The comic scans are clearly referring to ANH when Vader and Tarkin let the Millennium Falcon escape the DS with the plans.
Yep, you're right. I completely forgot about that.

Same end result, though -- the blame falls primarily on Vader. Tarkin only shares the blame because he trusted Vader enough to allow him to carry out that plan in the first place(against his better judgement, I might add.)

Tarkin: "You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk, Vader... This had better work."
-ANH

Frankly, that makes Vader look like even more of an inept buffoon than I first thought. Had Tarkin survived the Death Star's explosion, he might've even been able to spin the happenings in such a way that *only* Vader was reprimanded, tbh.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 4th, 2018 at 03:23 PM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2018 03:20 PM