KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What if Palpatine surrendered to the B-team?

What if Palpatine surrendered to the B-team?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

What if Palpatine surrendered to the B-team?

Say he allows the jedi to arrest him. What evidence do they have against him? They literally have nothing to prove that he's a sith other than Anakin's word. This would likely anger the citizens of the Republic as they see the jedi as treasonous; the outlash would be even worse than post order 66, and Sheev would be idolized for standing up to the corrupt jedi.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 01:09 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I doubt the outlash would be worse. After all, Sidious spun the arrest as an assassination attempt which makes the Jedi look far worse then simply arresting him. Beyond that, the Jedi would be able to get their side out and likely they would garner some support. But, yes, Sidious would have walked free. Windu realizes this by the end of the duel, which is why he tries to kill him.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 01:34 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

thumb up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmOplRl30I

I love Filoni's commentary on the fight.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Mar 1st, 2018 at 02:15 AM

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 02:11 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

tbh it was stupid of Mace to "arrest" him in the first place. Should've just gone for the kill right off the bat.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 02:55 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
tbh it was stupid of Mace to "arrest" him in the first place. Should've just gone for the kill right off the bat.
Right...I'm sure that would've gone well for the jedi's already strained relationship with the masses.

Attack Palpatine's civilian secretary, incapacitate his guards, and then kill the Chancellor...all in the name of eradicating the Sith! Something that the average civilian doesn't give a rat's ass about.

Sounds pretty similar to modern day religious extremists.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 03:00 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

More like a Nazi TBH. Though it's never been exactly clear what the average citizen knows about Sith.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 03:32 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

I doubt that the Jedi Order is so retarded that they wouldn't be able to convince the courts of Palpatine's involvement in the war, regardless of the fact that he would be a Sith or not. Especially when with Palpatine gone, the darkness that clouded the force would be all but subsided. Giving the Jedi better clarity on how and what were the details of the war. Plus the fact that 3 Jedi Masters were killed in the battle clearly shows a lot on Palpatine's abilities and his intent as a Sith.

The average civillian doesn't enter the picture at all, the courts do. And worst case scenario, Mace would take the fall, as I highly doubt that the Jedi would be so retarded as to post this as a conspiracy planned by the entire Order, which not only is stupid but blatantly false since nobody aside from the team, the few Jedi in the temple, and Yoda even knew that Palpatine was the Sith Lord. Mace takes the fall and the Jedi Order is safe.

Any way you look at it, Ellimist is right. There is a reason even Obi Wan said that the Sith should be hunted down and destroyed without mercy. Mace recognized the danger posed by the Sith Lord, recognized the genius of Palpatine behind the war, and recognized just how much the Jedi Order would be better off without the man. And it certainly would be, in any circumstance. It is no rocket science.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 06:05 AM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

I like the fact how no one asks about the DROID ATTACK ON THE WOOKIEES?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 06:51 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Palpatine would have tried to be a model prisoner until one time he was pushed too far. You'd have the classic scene of him walking with his tray, only to get tripped and fall flat on his face. He looks up and see Dengar and his crew laughing at him. Knowing he could do nothing, he picked his food off the floor and ate by himself.
One day the showers ran red with rectal blood, and that's when Sheev knew he had to get his revenge or die trying.

It sets up a limited six issue comic run, with all star guests, and an even bigger surprise ally - let's just say the Wind blew in a Mace to give him a fighting chance - will Palpatine make it out alive? Will he get his revenge? Find out come April in The Emperor Strikes BackGets Raped

Old Post Mar 1st, 2018 07:07 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

In the republic they had freedom of religion so being a Sith couldn't have been used against him. Aldo by this time there were a lot if senators and likely judges in sidious pocket. I think he'd have just gone free

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 05:45 AM
Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Originally posted by The Ellimist

At that point they didn't have any evidence although would've found a lightsaber in his ropes when searching his corpse and other information around the office.

Plus before ROTS they were in the process of exploring the underground tunnels that lead to 500 Republica before the investigation was cut of by the Battle of Coruscant. Once allowed to resume that investigation they probably would've found more than enough evidence.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 06:40 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, Sheev would have undoubtedly walked, with Mace(and co.) ultimately being charged with high-treason for wrongfully arresting the Supreme Chancellor.

The only 'proof' the Jedi had at the time was Anakin's word... But it's doubtful that Anakin would have ever testified against Palpatine in the first place, but even IF he did, Tarkin(the likely choice for Palpatine's defender) would've eaten him alive on the stand.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:09 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Eh, I think the Jedi Council could have penetrated Sidious' mind and theres a decent chance that going over all his stuff with a fine comb and turning over every stone in his history would lead to sufficient evidence against him. Like has been pointed out, his lightsaber alone would be pretty compelling. From what I recall he has some pretty sinister stuff on his computer too.

Plus they could just test his midichlorians.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:17 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I don't think it was illegal to own lightsabers, and/or possess an abnormally high midichlorian count.

Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that Mace was technically arresting Sheev based on secondhand information/hearsay.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 07:26 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:23 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Trying to argue "I just happen to keep a Sith lightsaber up my sleeve!" and "I just happen to have the second highest recorded midichlorian count in history even though no Jedi has ever been able to sense that from me!" wouldn't play out imo.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:27 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

But Mace trying to justify arresting *the* top ranking official in the entire Republic based solely on secondhand information he heard in passing from another party would work out, iyo? I disagree.

I think it would be very easy for Tarkin to have Palpatine released and acquitted before any in depth testing/probing could be done to him, based solely on the fact that it was a wrongful arrest from the get-go... And it's equally possible/likely that Anakin would deny ever making such a claim to Mace. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 07:41 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:35 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Literally nobody other than the jedi cared if Sidious was a sith or not.

Their best bet would've been to search through Sheev's computers, meddling in secret files, and possibly uncover his transmissions to Dooku.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 07:48 PM
ares834

Oh, I’m sure the Jedi would find plenty of evidence of wrong doing on Palpatine’s part. The issue is, Palpatine was simply too powerful at this time. The Senate applauded when he declared himself Emperor for Christ’s sake. They aren’t going to kick him out of office regardless of what evidence the Jedi have.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 08:00 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

It's not just about Sidious being a Sith, its about proving that he orchestrated the war and was in cahoots (cahoooooooots I say!) with Tyranus the whole time. As much power as Palpatine may have had at that time, I doubt the senate would just look the other way on that. At the very least it'd probably reignite the war.

Originally posted by Galan007
But Mace trying to justify arresting *the* top ranking official in the entire Republic based solely on secondhand information he heard in passing from another party would work out, iyo? I disagree.

I think it would be very easy for Tarkin to have Palpatine released and acquitted before any in depth testing/probing could be done to him, based solely on the fact that it was a wrongful arrest from the get-go... And it's equally possible/likely that Anakin would deny ever making such a claim to Mace. /shrug

The Jedi have good cause to believe a Sith is in the senate colluding with Dooku. Palpatine outright saying "Yo, I'm that Sith" to Anakin would stand up for at least long enough to get more evidence.

Last edited by Nephthys on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 08:13 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 08:06 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Nephthys
The Jedi have good cause to believe a Sith is in the senate colluding with Dooku. Palpatine outright saying "Yo, I'm that Sith" to Anakin would stand up for at least long enough to get more evidence.
Good cause in what sense? Certainly not in the legal sense, imo.

What Mace did is akin to an FBI agent waltzing into the White House and arresting Trump because one of his buddies in the Bureau told him that Trump was really Kim Jong Un in disguise. Jedi or not, that's not how 'Democracy' is supposed to work.

That said, I have no doubt that the Jedi would be able to uncover damning information about Palpatine and get him convicted of political misconduct, IF they were able to legally detain him for an extended period of time -- thing is, I just don't see how they could possibly do so. Aside from the fact that most of the Senate and high-ranking officials within the Republic were Palpatine's puppets, and that Anakin probably would have denied ever making such claims to Mace, the 'evidence' that was used to arrest him initially would hardly hold up to any sort of legal scrutiny. As mentioned, it amounts to little more than secondhand information/hearsay.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 08:50 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2018 08:37 PM