KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » why TLJ WAS NOT a movie of feminism or equality

why TLJ WAS NOT a movie of feminism or equality
Started by: aalyasecura95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
aaylasecura95

why TLJ WAS NOT a movie of feminism or equality

hello i have returned to talk about the last jedi and its implications on feminism and equality. many have been saying that this is a milestone for equality and white males have been going crazy about it which is usually a good sign. however after seeing the last jedi shortly after it was released and reflecting since then i think this is a whitewashed view of the film. yes the film made many steps to include women and the other cultures but there is a long way to go before true equality.

let's first look at the main protagonists of the last jedi. luke, rey, finn and rose. first this may seem like equality because we have two minorities and two white ppl. however this ignores that the white luke and rey were far more significant in the story. for example many have pointed out that finn and roses storyline was basically pointless and didn't change much. and this is unfortunately correct and probably explained by rian johnson who once joked about just having finn in a coma for the entire movie. that shocking quote alone reveals that this movie was not the liberating move as it was advertized. so basically the two main and significant protagonist remained white whereas the minority characters were relegated to the background. now you may point out that the main protagonists listed above have a gender balance and that makes it okay? unfortunately that is not the case. rey's role as an empowered woman was greatly diminished in this movie. this was partly due to luke's potrayal in the movie where he snubbed and mansplained to rey and was reluctant to train her despite earlier training a white male kylo and an entire academy. the way he treated her was disgusting and unlike the luke we know. and then there was the end of the movie where kylo literally says that rey is a nobody and that she did not have any special origins. both luke and anakin got special origins but rey is excluded.

now it is a more pleasant picture when we look at the more minor protagonists. for example poe is demonstrated as the embodiment of toxic masculinity but he is put down by admiral holdo who is portrayed as a strong and smart woman who all women can relate to in having to deal with ******* men. also leias so called superman scene was very empowering and her thwarting of poe's dumbass coup was a high point. however these factors do not outweigh the sidelining of the minorities and diminishment of rey as an empowered woman.

and unfortunately the inadequacies are further laid bear when we look at the antagonists of this film. both kylo and snoke are white men who attempt to use rey as a tool. the interactions between kylo and rey also suggest the start of a relationship which could further threaten reys status as an independent woman. captain phasma is a woman but she is horribly sidelined and killed off in a disgusting act. the codebreaker DJ is also a white male and he exploits and manipulates the two minority characters in the film which makes them appear idiotic and makes there important mission a failure. general hux is also a white male in a position of power with no equality among the first order ranks. however the first order is meant to be a replica of the nazis so this is not to be expected.

perhaps my biggest problem with the last jedi is that it ultimately did not make up for star wars decades of white male domination and unfair treatment towards women. in the original trilogy, leia was only one of four women who had a speaking role and even she was grossly sexualized in rotj. equality got better in the prequels with female characters like padme but even she was treated creepily by anakin and was depicted as powerless against him. star wars made a step forward in the force awakens and rouge one via a female protagonist but that protagonist was still white and also there was still a insufficient level of diversity in the rest of the films. the last jedi was ultimately a step forward but not enough to make it a truly feminist movie. those are my thoughts on the last jedi and thank you for reading.

love and kindness:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHp69F7vrLU

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:07 PM
Click here to Send aaylasecura95 a Private Message Find more posts by aaylasecura95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

True. But we're far more interested in Legends and comparing characters' capabilities here.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:15 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aaylasecura95

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Geistalt
True. But we're far more interested in Legends and comparing characters' capabilities here.
that is true but i saw some TLJ threads here and thought that this was a topic of great misunderstanding.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:16 PM
Click here to Send aaylasecura95 a Private Message Find more posts by aaylasecura95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SimeonFromHell
Restricted

Account Restricted

holy CHRIST this is retarded

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:18 PM
Click here to Send SimeonFromHell a Private Message Find more posts by SimeonFromHell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Re: why TLJ WAS NOT a movie of feminism or equality

Originally posted by aalyasecura95
hello i have returned to talk about the last jedi and its implications on feminism and equality. many have been saying that this is a milestone for equality and white males have been going crazy about it which is usually a good sign. however after seeing the last jedi shortly after it was released and reflecting since then i think this is a whitewashed view of the film. yes the film made many steps to include women and the other cultures but there is a long way to go before true equality.

let's first look at the main protagonists of the last jedi. luke, rey, finn and rose. first this may seem like equality because we have two minorities and two white ppl. however this ignores that the white luke and rey were far more significant in the story. for example many have pointed out that finn and roses storyline was basically pointless and didn't change much. and this is unfortunately correct and probably explained by rian johnson who once joked about just having finn in a coma for the entire movie. that shocking quote alone reveals that this movie was not the liberating move as it was advertized. so basically the two main and significant protagonist remained white whereas the minority characters were relegated to the background. now you may point out that the main protagonists listed above have a gender balance and that makes it okay? unfortunately that is not the case. rey's role as an empowered woman was greatly diminished in this movie. this was partly due to luke's potrayal in the movie where he snubbed and mansplained to rey and was reluctant to train her despite earlier training a white male kylo and an entire academy. the way he treated her was disgusting and unlike the luke we know. and then there was the end of the movie where kylo literally says that rey is a nobody and that she did not have any special origins. both luke and anakin got special origins but rey is excluded.

now it is a more pleasant picture when we look at the more minor protagonists. for example poe is demonstrated as the embodiment of toxic masculinity but he is put down by admiral holdo who is portrayed as a strong and smart woman who all women can relate to in having to deal with ******* men. also leias so called superman scene was very empowering and her thwarting of poe's dumbass coup was a high point. however these factors do not outweigh the sidelining of the minorities and diminishment of rey as an empowered woman.

and unfortunately the inadequacies are further laid bear when we look at the antagonists of this film. both kylo and snoke are white men who attempt to use rey as a tool. the interactions between kylo and rey also suggest the start of a relationship which could further threaten reys status as an independent woman. captain phasma is a woman but she is horribly sidelined and killed off in a disgusting act. the codebreaker DJ is also a white male and he exploits and manipulates the two minority characters in the film which makes them appear idiotic and makes there important mission a failure. general hux is also a white male in a position of power with no equality among the first order ranks. however the first order is meant to be a replica of the nazis so this is not to be expected.

perhaps my biggest problem with the last jedi is that it ultimately did not make up for star wars decades of white male domination and unfair treatment towards women. in the original trilogy, leia was only one of four women who had a speaking role and even she was grossly sexualized in rotj. equality got better in the prequels with female characters like padme but even she was treated creepily by anakin and was depicted as powerless against him. star wars made a step forward in the force awakens and rouge one via a female protagonist but that protagonist was still white and also there was still a insufficient level of diversity in the rest of the films. the last jedi was ultimately a step forward but not enough to make it a truly feminist movie. those are my thoughts on the last jedi and thank you for reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:19 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aaylasecura95

Originally posted by SimeonFromHell
holy CHRIST this is retarded
can you explain how??? have you ever taken a class or lecture in sociology or gender studies??? because i have attended many and i actually know about this stuff.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:20 PM
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hello,

Can I ask you to kindly leave these forums? The subforums of SW are very right-winged, and there is a common hate for feminists present. You won't find any success swaying people here to your ideas, probably the same with us regarding you.

There is no mutual benefit to come from our interaction. You won't find a positive reception from us, and you certainly won't positively view us. Your continued stay here would only bring both sides paine, agony and despiur.

I would kindly ask you to browse General Discussion subforums perhaps, which are known for a broad memberbase.

Regards,
Head Admin

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:23 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aaylasecura95

Originally posted by JKBart
Hello,

Can I ask you to kindly leave these forums? The subforums of SW are very right-winged, and there is a common hate for feminists present. You won't find any success swaying people here to your ideas, probably the same with us regarding you.

There is no mutual benefit to come from our interaction. You won't find a positive reception from us, and you certainly won't positively view us. Your continued stay here would only bring both sides paine, agony and despiur.

I would kindly ask you to browse General Discussion subforums perhaps, which are known for a broad memberbase.

Regards,
Head Admin
excuse me but i will not be silenced by right wingers and white males. i have dealt with their kind before. and if you actually researched feminism then you would not hate it.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:25 PM
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Very well then, if you continue to post here despite the warning, I wish you luck in enduring the paine to come.

They are angry because they have been forced to recognize that their hour has arrived; that the time has come to surrender power to Shimrra and the new order."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:26 PM
Click here to Send JKBart a Private Message Find more posts by JKBart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wow, so that explains why I didn't feel butt-hurt after watching this movie.

You know aaylasecura95, I often wonder how a snowflake like yourself stumbled upon this cesspit of a website. I applaud you on being able to put up with us.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:27 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

okay guys kill this with fire
permission granted

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:27 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

-

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 05:38 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:28 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

you may fire when ready

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:28 PM
aaylasecura95

Originally posted by Kurk
Wow, so that explains why I didn't feel butt-hurt after watching this movie.

You know aaylasecura95, I often wonder how a snowflake like yourself stumbled upon this cesspit of a website. I applaud you on being able to put up with us.
well if you noticed i actually left the forum for a while because i was frustrated. however i have returned to make a stand. there are many myths about feminism particularly in star wars that need to be addressed.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:29 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

-

Last edited by Jaggarath on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 05:38 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:32 PM
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

laughing

Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Now you will experience the full power of this fully armed, and operational forum!

(please log in to view the image)

Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKBart
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:33 PM
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Just know that no matter how much crap we give you, the Islamic world hates you more.

Love,
a bearded Irano-German

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:35 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:35 PM