KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Luke and the Emperor

Luke and the Emperor
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mendax
Hand of God

Luke and the Emperor

So now that all is said and done, can we safely say that Luke was probably weaker than the Emperor and never really posed a threat to him directly, or is that still up in the air?

-referring only to the canon mythos

Last edited by Mendax on Mar 5th, 2018 at 04:02 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2018 03:50 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mendax
So now that all is said and done, can we safely say that Luke was probably weaker than the Emperor and never really posed a threat to him directly, or is that still up in the air?

-referring only to the canon mythos
Luke certainly had the potential to surpass Palpatine -- we found that much out during ESB:

Palpatine: "There is a great disturbance in the Force."
Vader: "I have felt it."
Palpatine: "We have a new enemy -- the young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker [...] He could destroy us..."

Clearly whatever latent power/potential Palpatine sensed from Luke was well beyond his own(and Vader's), which makes sense given GL's statements that Luke's potential = Anakin's(ie. the Chosen One.)

Whether or not Luke actually realized his full potential in canon, however, is more of a mystery. That said, the upcoming TLJ novelization(along with future novels/comics/shows/films/etc.) might possibly give us some answers in that regard, so we'll just have to wait and see. For now, though, it would be pretty hard to argue that he's > Palpatine, canonically. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 5th, 2018 at 04:33 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2018 04:18 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordOfTheLight

Luke did have the potential not just to surpass Sidious but to destroy him as well, and I think that is stated multiple times in SW.com outright.

Plus his TLJ feat was insane, despite the fact that he was greatly strained by it.

However for now, I don't think he has shown anything that puts him above Sidious in canon.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2018 04:29 PM
Click here to Send LordOfTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by LordOfTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

So midi-chlorians don't make you stronger or weaker. Happy Dance

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 5th, 2018 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Pretty sure Luke at the most powerful he gets in canon > Sidious. He may lack feats right now because TLJ just came out, but there’s no reason to think the Chosen One bloodline’s power has been retconned - indeed, just look at Ben Solo.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2018 09:02 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Unrecognized potential doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, though.

Ben Solo is indeed a prime example: massive raw potential(likely the greatest in canon, with Rey being his equal), yet I certainly wouldn't put him above Palpatine at this point -- potential be damned.

*Not saying that Luke never reached his potential, btw. We just don't know yet one way or the other.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Galan007
*Not saying that Luke never reached his potential, btw. We just don't know yet one way or the other.

We don't know but logically it makes sense given his immense growth curve seen in the OT and decades of progress afterwards. Luke's reservations had to do with his failure to raise Ben, not his lack of power.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 02:42 AM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by The Ellimist
We don't know
That's all I'm saying. We can speculate all we want, but the bottom line is that the extent of Luke's canon power is still mystery.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 6th, 2018 at 02:53 AM

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 02:50 AM
One Big Mob
Dead

We don't know but logically it makes sense given his immense growth curve seen in the OT and decades of progress afterwards. Luke's reservations had to do with his failure to raise Ben, not his lack of power.
He did get knocked out by a roof caving in on him.

It'd be like if Obi Wan dropped a light on Palpatine and ended the sith

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 02:59 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

That seems to trivialize the situation. It's like, "Oh, the Sith aren't a big deal. You can just pick them up and throw them down shafts."

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 03:05 AM
Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by The Lost
That seems to trivialize the situation. It's like, "Oh, the Sith aren't a big deal. You can just pick them up and throw them down shafts."
The difference is Palpatine has done everything in the force before hand. Luke so far has a handful of feats at his full power. One of which is apparently comparable to Palpatine getting thrown down kilometers into a reactor.

I'd say if Luke is supposed to be above Palpatine, he has done nothing so far to suggest it.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 03:34 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by One Big Mob
He did get knocked out by a roof caving in on him.

Lol

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 06:46 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

didn't Luke shut himself off from the force?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 08:06 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Meetra did too.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 09:17 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

Originally posted by One Big Mob
The difference is Palpatine has done everything in the force before hand. Luke so far has a handful of feats at his full power. One of which is apparently comparable to Palpatine getting thrown down kilometers into a reactor.

I'd say if Luke is supposed to be above Palpatine, he has done nothing so far to suggest it.

I am saying it says little about Luke's overall ability, just like Snoke's fate and Sidious' fate says little about their overall ability.

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 05:36 AM
Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

It's possible that The Emperor said "he could destroy us" because he rally people behind him like how Napolean rallied people behind him out of nostalgia of older times. Luke could be the beacon of hope in the dark times that people live in. Those who remember the Jedi will maybe not feel as threatened by the Empire anymore and be willing to rebel.

And when this was written, the Star Wars Universe was very different. What the galaxy was like was also different, so I'm willing to say that Luke was a threat to the Empire in the way that he was a remnant of the old world which the Empire had destroyed.

As far as Luke being more powerful than the Emperor, it doesn't seem likely in the original script. It also just doesn't make poetic sense. In what the expanded universe has become, it's possible that yeah, Luke, if left to train for a few more years, could have surpassed the emperor, but I don't think that's what the "he could destroy us" quote was reffering to.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 07:41 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Originally posted by Zentrex
It's possible that The Emperor said "he could destroy us" because he rally people behind him like how Napoleon rallied people behind him out of nostalgia of older times. Luke could be the beacon of hope in the dark times that people live in. Those who remember the Jedi will maybe not feel as threatened by the Empire anymore and be willing to rebel.

And when this was written, the Star Wars Universe was very different. What the galaxy was like was also different, so I'm willing to say that Luke was a threat to the Empire in the way that he was a remnant of the old world which the Empire had destroyed.

As far as Luke being more powerful than the Emperor, it doesn't seem likely in the original script. It also just doesn't make poetic sense. In what the expanded universe has become, it's possible that yeah, Luke, if left to train for a few more years, could have surpassed the emperor, but I don't think that's what the "he could destroy us" quote was referring to.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/RDLBrVtuAfyb6/giphy.gif

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 12:38 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Zentrex
It's possible that The Emperor said "he could destroy us" because he rally people behind him like how Napolean rallied people behind him out of nostalgia of older times. Luke could be the beacon of hope in the dark times that people live in. Those who remember the Jedi will maybe not feel as threatened by the Empire anymore and be willing to rebel.

As far as Luke being more powerful than the Emperor, it doesn't seem likely in the original script. It also just doesn't make poetic sense. In what the expanded universe has become, it's possible that yeah, Luke, if left to train for a few more years, could have surpassed the emperor, but I don't think that's what the "he could destroy us" quote was reffering to.

Not sure why we're coming to this conclusion just because of TLJ. Anakin's potential wasn't retconned, and it appears to have passed down his line given Kylo's power (and Luke's own astronomically fast progress in the OT).

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 07:22 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Not sure why we're coming to this conclusion just because of TLJ. Anakin's potential wasn't retconned, and it appears to have passed down his line given Kylo's power (and Luke's own astronomically fast progress in the OT).

That's not what I meant. I meant that when the movie was made (when the only expanded universe material was a few comics, one book, and the holiday special), the story was that the galaxy was different from the time of the Jedi, which was 30-ish years ago in that timeline. So ANYTHING which survived from that time was an immediate danger to the Emperor and what he had built.

And Luke in that timeline probably would never have surpassed the Emperor in terms of the Force.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 08:23 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

what is with you and your dr. Who gifs today?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2018 08:24 PM