KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What will happen to Thrawn?

What will happen to Thrawn?
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mendax
Hand of God

What will happen to Thrawn?

There is plenty of evidence either way pointing to Thrawn either surviving or not surviving the series.

Evidence for survival:

-Thrawn is mentioned as outliving Galen Erso by Filoni in an interview.
-The Thrawn book is an immediate prequel to Rebels. The 2nd book, following both Thrawn and Vader, would thus have to either take place after the events of Rebels or would have to be shoehorned into Rebels.
-They would not bring back such a beloved character just to kill him off in two seasons.

Evidence for not surviving:

-Bendu tells Thrawn that he sees his demise; obviously, that's an issue that would most likely be tackled within Rebels itself, instead of a future series.
-Where's Thrawn by the events of OT?
-Thrawn is being set up as Hera's arch-enemy. Would they really have a series in which two enemies survive? Not to mention that the show's younger audience will not like this seemingly evil person not getting his comeuppance.

So what do you think? I really want him to survive and become an officer of the early FO in the next series if it takes place between the OT and ST.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 12:17 AM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

As you said, the Vader / Thrawn book is set after Rebels, so he will definitely survive the show.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 12:22 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^Afaik, it hasn't yet been revealed exactly what era Thrawn: Alliances will take place in. While we do know that one of the side-stories will detail Thrawn's past 'adventures' with Anakin during the Clone Wars, we also know the novel will "continue to follow the rise of Grand Admiral Thrawn to the heights of Imperial power" -- suggesting that it will take place sequentially with the Rebels-era.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mendax
Evidence for survival:

-Thrawn is mentioned as outliving Galen Erso by Filoni in an interview.
Tbf, it is possible(and moreover likely) that Filoni was talking about the legacies of Galen and Thrawn there, considering the latter's in-depth knowledge/exploration of the Unknown Regions quite possibly allowed the Empire to retreat their(and subsequently form the FO) in the wake of RotJ. /shrug

Evidence for not surviving:

-Bendu tells Thrawn that he sees his demise; obviously, that's an issue that would most likely be tackled within Rebels itself, instead of a future series.
-Where's Thrawn by the events of OT?
-Thrawn is being set up as Hera's arch-enemy. Would they really have a series in which two enemies survive? Not to mention that the show's younger audience will not like this seemingly evil person not getting his comeuppance.
There's also Rukh- he killed Thrawn in Legends, after all... Though I suspect he is just a giant red herring here. /shrug

So what do you think? I really want him to survive and become an officer of the early FO in the next series if it takes place between the OT and ST.
With a Thrawn comic series currently taking place + a second self-titled novel slated for release later in the year, I will be very surprised if Thrawn is killed-off in Rebels, tbh.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:44 AM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

Let's hope they fvcking at least accept the post-OT EU lore.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 12:45 AM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

We'll see what happens

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Originally posted by Galan007
^Afaik, it hasn't yet been revealed exactly what era Thrawn: Alliances will take place in. While we do know that one of the side-stories will detail Thrawn's past 'adventures' with Anakin during the Clone Wars, we also know the novel will "continue to follow the rise of Grand Admiral Thrawn to the heights of Imperial power" -- suggesting that it will take place sequentially with the Rebels-era.

Tbf, it is possible(and moreover likely) that Filoni was talking about the legacies of Galen and Thrawn there, considering the latter's in-depth knowledge/exploration of the Unknown Regions quite possibly allowed the Empire to retreat their(and subsequently form the FO) in the wake of RotJ. /shrug

There's also Rukh- he killed Thrawn in Legends, after all... Though I suspect he is just a giant red herring here. /shrug

With a Thrawn comic series currently taking place + a second self-titled novel slated for release later in the year, I will be very surprised if Thrawn is killed-off in Rebels, tbh.
Ah, true. Didn't even think about Rukh.

So do you think Thrawn has a deeper motive or agenda then serving the empire, or do you think he's content serving as a grand admiral for a racist organization?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 06:24 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

I think he dies by Agent Kallus’s hand

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 06:36 PM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I guess he dies post Rebels. I mean, he never appeared after the Battle of Endor, otherwise with his genius and charisma he would easily took control of the imperial army instead of Rax, and would’ve likely done a better job. So I guess he was either killed or captured between 0-4 ABY.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 06:39 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So do you think Thrawn has a deeper motive or agenda then serving the empire,
I know he does.

The only reason Thrawn involved himself with the Empire in the first place, was to see if they might eventually become trusted allies against some of the threats that lurk in the Unknown Regions... And if Thrawn's assessment revealed that the Empire could not be trusted, it would be destroyed:
quote:
"There are evil things in this galaxy," said Thrawn. "Far more evil than the Empire, and far more dangerous to all living beings. We know of some, while of others we have heard only rumors. We needed to know whether the Empire that was rising from the ashes of the Clone War could be an ally against them, or whether it should instead be collapsed into an easy prey."

You see, Thrawn's loyalty ultimately lies with his people -- with the Chiss Ascendancy. If he ever felt that the Empire was a threat to his people, he had no qualms walking away from it:
quote:
"You serve the Empire," said Nightswan. "And this project, whatever it is, represents a great deal of Imperial resources."
"I do indeed serve the Empire," Thrawn said. "But I also serve the causes of the Chiss Ascendancy. If I deem [the Death Star] to be a threat against them, I might find it necessary to reconsider my path."

But when it comes right down to it, Thrawn has very noble hopes for the Empire:
quote:
"The tone of a government is set by its leader," Thrawn said. "But Emperor Palpatine will not live forever. When it comes time for his authority to be handed to another, my position as a senior officer will allow me to influence the choice of that leader."
"And do you expect that new leader to spread light into the darkness?" Asked Nightswan.
"There is hope that he will," Thrawn said. "But if evil is victorious, that hope will be extinguished. Forever."

or do you think he's content serving as a grand admiral for a racist organization?
Thrawn is 'content' in the sense that the Empire has provided him with everything he's needed over the years to help carryout his true goals(ie. protecting the Chiss), yes... But as I mentioned above: the best interests of his people will always come before the Empire.

As for the 'racist organization' bit: Thrawn is a seasoned/proven Grand Admiral now(and arguably *the* best tactical mind in the entire Empire) -- he is also one of Palpatine's personal favorites. Very few would be stupid enough to openly throw any racist/speciest BS his way. However, even before he held this level of power/authority within the Empire, Thrawn had no issues dealing with the aforementioned haters, as Tarkin himself noted:
quote:
"Interesting about Commander Thrawn. He was on Coruscant just a few weeks ago, explaining himself to yet another court-martial panel." Tarkin commented.
"What did he do?" Arihnda asked.
"Burned off a vein of scarn spice on some alien's territory," Tarkin said. "Direct and efficient. Not as politically astute as some would have liked, however."
"What was the outcome?" Asked Arihnda.
"He was cleared, of course," Tarkin said. "The High Command doesn't especially like him, but they find it difficult to argue with his results. The Emperor seems to have taken a fancy to him, as well..."

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 17th, 2018 at 07:24 PM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 07:22 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Interesting. In Legends that greater* evil was the Vong. In Canon...Snoke?

*ofc Thrawn does not appear to grasp the true nature of Palpatine.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 08:08 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Interesting. In Legends that greater* evil was the Vong. In Canon...Snoke?
Thrawn implied there were/are several threats lurking in the Unknown Regions that represent far greater threats than the Empire, so possibly both..? I read that Filoni planned to canonize the Vong but never got the chance to do so before TCW ended, soooo maybe just maybe. /shrug

Originally posted by The Ellimist
*ofc Thrawn does not appear to grasp the true nature of Palpatine.
At this point Thrawn does not suspect that Palpatine is an extremely powerful Sith Master, no(Thrawn's only had two brief conversations with him, after all.) That said, Thrawn is still very skeptical of Palpatine, which is why he never shared the locations of any Chiss bases/systems when he was helping map the Unknown... And also why he sent Eli Vanto on a special mission to parlay with the Chiss Ascendancy, unbeknownst to anyone else in the Empire.

Frankly, the novel gave the impression that Thrawn is using the Empire far more than the Empire is using Thrawn.

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 17th, 2018 at 08:34 PM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 08:28 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

*On a related note: I suspect that Thrawn will deduce Vader's true identity when they team-up in the upcoming novel(he fought alongside Anakin in the Clone Wars-era, after all)... And from that Thrawn will be able to connect the dots and discern Palpatine's true identity/role as well.

What happens after he figures this out is anyone's guess...

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 17th, 2018 at 08:48 PM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 08:45 PM
MoT-MoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

whos thrawn

Old Post Feb 17th, 2018 08:49 PM
Click here to Send MoT-MoT a Private Message Find more posts by MoT-MoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

So in light of the finale what do you guys think now? is Thrawn dead or alive?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 08:23 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Filoni already confirmed that he survived.

Filoni: "I have a lot of theories about it and what I think happens and where they are. I'll say this much, they're not dead. Both of them survive, both Ezra and Thrawn I would say survive it."

...Which is no great surprise. With an upcoming novel, a current ongoing comic book mini, and the potential for a great deal of storytelling potential on the horizon, I don't think anyone expected Thrawn to be killed-off... In Rebels at least.

If anything, this presented an opportune chance for Thrawn to 'defect' from the Empire, and possibly rejoin the Chiss Ascendancy. /shrug

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 6th, 2018 at 08:34 PM

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 08:28 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thrawn has too much class to die like that. It makes sense though; the only thing that Thrawn wouldn't be prepared to counter are magic space force-whales.

Also if you rewatch the scene you can see the glass fragments from the broken windows levitating in the air right before they jump to lightspeed. Could it be that Ezra was maintaining a bubble of atmosphere?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That'd be about the only logical way he and Thrawn could have survived, given the breaches in the Chimaera's hull.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 09:11 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

Originally posted by Galan007
Filoni already confirmed that he survived.

Filoni: "I have a lot of theories about it and what I think happens and where they are. I'll say this much, they're not dead. Both of them survive, both Ezra and Thrawn I would say survive it."

...Which is no great surprise. With an upcoming novel, a current ongoing comic book mini, and the potential for a great deal of storytelling potential on the horizon, I don't think anyone expected Thrawn to be killed-off... In Rebels at least.

If anything, this presented an opportune chance for Thrawn to 'defect' from the Empire, and possibly rejoin the Chiss Ascendancy. /shrug
oh thank god, lol.

but now i cant help but wonder where in the hell Thrawn and Ezra were for all that time?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 09:17 PM
Flyattractor

Probably rip off the end ot Heir Trilogy now that that they have also ripped off the little assassin guys from that as well as Thrawn.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 07:04 AM
Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Ezra will be a canon Joruus C'Baoth.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 07:30 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote