KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Questions about Tarkin

Questions about Tarkin
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mendax
Hand of God

Random question-
where did Yularen fall in the Imperial pecking order?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2018 09:18 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mendax
Random question-
where did Yularen fall in the Imperial pecking order?
He was a Colonel. Senior rank in the ISB; mid-level rank in the Empire as a whole(just below General.)

That said, Yularen's status within the ISB held enough sway with the political figureheads that he could accuse damn near anyone in the Empire of wrongdoing(even if they outranked him), and subsequently arrest them, no questions asked. Governors, Senators, Admirals, etc. all fell under Yularen's umbrella in that regard -- he was basically the Empire's chief Internal Affairs officer(among much more.)

...But in your standard tactical/military engagement, he was subordinate to a great many.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2018 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Okay, so I'm guessing Tarkin was a Moff before grand Moff right? What rank was he before that?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 03:55 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay, so I'm guessing Tarkin was a Moff before grand Moff right? What rank was he before that?
Admiral; during TCW he was captain

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 05:26 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

He was an Admiral in the Republic. When the Clone Wars ended and Palpatine reorganized the Republic into the Empire, Tarkin was promoted to the rank of Moff.

ie. when Tarkin made a cameo at the end of RotS, he was already a Moff:
(please log in to view the image)

*He would become a Grand Moff a few years later.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2018 05:48 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The recent issue of Darth Vader helps narrow down Tarkin's promotion a bit.

The issue is set 3 years after RotS:
https://i.imgur.com/iUVbag7.jpg

By that time Tarkin was already a Governor and Grand Moff:

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 03:52 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

So doesn't that mean he became Grand Moff earlier than people originally said?

Is that comic more canon then the book?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2018 11:04 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So doesn't that mean he became Grand Moff earlier than people originally said?
Yes.

The Tarkin novelization is set 5 years after RotS. Darth Vader #13 is set 3 years after RotS. IOW, Tarkin was promoted to a Grand Moff at least 2 years earlier than the novel stated.

Is that comic more canon then the book?
There are no longer 'levels of canon' in Star Wars. When Disney acquired the franchise a few years ago, they deemed that all forms of SW media released after 04/25/14 are of equal canonicity. That said, the comics now hold just as much canonical weight as the films themselves.

So yes, the comic(ie. the more recent canonical information) essentially retconned Tarkin's promotional time-table by having it occur earlier than had previously been established.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 23rd, 2018 at 12:09 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2018 12:05 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

nah, that policy is just there to look good. its not used

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2018 12:12 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

In what way?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2018 12:24 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The movie novelizations being secondary to the films, for example.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2018 12:29 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
The movie novelizations being secondary to the films, for example.
Tbf, the film-based novelizations are a special case. Obviously the novels were never published with the intent of completely supplementing the film itself, thus are only canon where they align with what is seen on-screen. They can also expand upon the films, so long as no flagrant contradiction occurs.

For example, the information provided in TLJ novelization pertaining to Snoke is why we now know so much about he and the First Order's canon background/history. The novel tells us how Kylo canonically survived Chewie's blaster bolt to the abdomen in TFA. The novel tells us another canon adventure Rey had with Luke on Ahch-To, which was never shown/mentioned in the film. etc. etc.

But yes, in cases where the film and the film-based novel overtly contradict one another, we defer to the film's depiction... So let me amend my previous post by stating [what I thought was] the obvious: barring a select few cases, all forms of SW media are equalized under Disney's "one universe" policy. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 23rd, 2018 at 01:26 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2018 01:12 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

It essentially functions how it used to. The comics/games/novels/TV shows don't have the authority to retcon the movies, nor do the comics/games/novels have the authority to retcon the TV shows. The only place of retcon is between the standard C-Canon sources, which is how it's always been.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2018 01:35 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I'm not talking about the ability to retcon films. I'm talking about all forms of media now being EQUAL to the films when no contradiction occurs.

That definitely isn't how it used to be.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 24th, 2018 at 01:06 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2018 01:04 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

galan your more familiar with the imperial hierarchy than most so i have another question-

Is there a particular reason why some characters refer to Tarkin as "Grand moff" and others call him "governor"?

is it just the writers ways of reminding us that he holds both titles? i mean, I noticed that people like Pryce call him grand moff, while Thrawn calls him governor. the title switching happens all the time.lol

confused

Old Post Mar 27th, 2018 10:38 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Technically Tarkin's particular rank/title is somewhat situational, and is supposed to change in accordance with whatever issue(s) he is addressing at any given time. In all dealings with Palpatine, for example, he should be referred to as a Grand Moff. In military matters, however, he should be referred to as a Governor:
quote:
"To complement his new station, Tarkin designed and had made a gray-green uniform whose thick-belted, round-collared tunic featured four code cylinders and a rank plaque of twelve multicolored squares, six blue over trios of red and gold. In all dealings with the Emperor he was referred to as Grand Moff, but for ordinary interactions with military personnel he retained the honorific Governor."

-Tarkin

...But aside from Thrawn(and sometimes Vader), who typically did refer to Tarkin as "Governor" when they discussed military affairs, and "Moff" or "Grand Moff" when they discussed all other Imperial matters, no real distinction is usually made -- the titles/ranks are often used interchangeably. Simply put, Tarkin is Tarkin, and his position/status as the Empire's proverbial #2 was well-known to pretty much everyone in the galaxy either way.

Heck, even in this recent example Tarkin is referred to as "Governor" and "Grand Moff" in the very same sequence by his underlings:
https://i.imgur.com/GMWg4R2.jpg

As mentioned above: most writers tend to use the titles synonymously.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2018 11:21 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

ok thx.

but if he's just a governor in military matters then how does he still outrank Thrawn and Vader in those settings?

Old Post Mar 28th, 2018 03:51 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

As mentioned above, the 'Governor' title is primarily honorific in Tarkin's case.

Doesn't matter what you call the guy, he was still the Empire's second-highest ranking official in both political AND military affairs.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2018 04:04 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If there is still any doubt, this excerpt(from the Rebels Visual Guide) explicitly confirms Tarkin's standing within the Empire:

So once again: barring Sheev himself, Tarkin possessed more authority than anyone in the Empire(Vader and the Inquisitors notwithstanding.)

Old Post Mar 31st, 2018 08:23 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Putting this here for future reference:

-Vader: The Ultimate Visual Guide

Old Post Apr 12th, 2018 02:54 PM