KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect The Sentry

Respect The Sentry
Started by: Enzeru

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 11 12 [13]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tkitna

Is that a planet busting feat? Hard to tell.

By Stoic

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 01:06 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

New preview for Sentry #1:

Comicbook.com has released a new exclusive preview for the first issue of the upcoming Sentry on-going series:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/05...comics-preview/

https://imgur.com/a/sMa8EqK

The preview features 4 colored pages without the lettering. Some of the pages we already know, but there are also new pages, which reveal characters like Scout and Watchdog. The preview even reveals the Sentress, who we saw in the (as of yet) non-canon limited series "The Age of the Sentry".

Scout was Sentrys sidekick, who got his arm ripped off by the Void and had to retire. Watchdog was Sentrys super-powered canine, whose real name was Normie. When Normie got too old to fight crime, Sentry replaced him with a super-powered robot dog. The Sentress was Carol Danvers, before she became Ms. Marvel. In "The Age of the Sentry" story she had lost her Sentress powers by the end of the limited series.

The Sentry will be released on the 27th of June. Preorder it, buy it! I've already preordered three copies.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 06:17 AM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Yeah seen it the other day and posted it in my comicvine thread. Glad Scout and Watchdog is back. But I wonder who the women is? It CAN'T be Carol Danvers.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:32 PM
KidStranglehold is currently offline Click here to Send KidStranglehold a Private Message Find more posts by KidStranglehold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KidStranglehold

But I wonder who the woman is? It CAN'T be Carol Danvers.

Why not? In THE AGE OF THE SENTRY the Sentress WAS Carol Danvers.
If the story has the Sentry in a different reality (the TAOTS reality), then it is Carol. If it's just a dream sequence, then it still might be Carol. If it's Sentry having hallucinations, then it still might be Carol. When it comes to schizophrenia in media, a trope they usually do is to have the schizophrenic link people he knows to his hallucinations. We saw that in SENTRY VOL 2 and we saw that in Jeff Lemires run on Moon Knight.

I'm sure it will be interesting. I beliebe in Jeff Lemire. I already liked all of the comics I've read from him, but the very first panel we saw in this preview was again a homerun in my opinion.
I really, really like writers, who map their panels out in a way, so that they put emphasis on certain ideas and more importantly on the story in that very moment. Especially if it lines up with the dialogue. And I'm sure, that the dialogue will be good in the book. But the panels I have in mind are two of the last three panels on the first page. When you bring those opposing panels together, you get this:

https://i.imgur.com/Ih5nb9r.jpg

Lines up quite nicely and already tells a story with zero dialogue needed.

Old Post May 3rd, 2018 08:49 PM
Enzeru is currently offline Click here to Send Enzeru a Private Message Find more posts by Enzeru Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidStranglehold

Good point.

Old Post May 4th, 2018 09:18 AM
KidStranglehold is currently offline Click here to Send KidStranglehold a Private Message Find more posts by KidStranglehold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enzeru

A couple of Sentry news!

The cover and the solicit synopsis for Sentry #3 have been revealed:

(please log in to view the image)
https://i.imgur.com/wVQUX30.jpg

quote:

• Who is CRANIO?! One of the Sentry’s oldest villains has returned, but who is he and how did he end up in Sentry World?

• Meanwhile, Iron Man and the Sentry go head-to-head as Sentry struggles to free himself…

With Cranio appearing in the Sentry on-going book, "The Age Of The Sentry" limited series becomes canon. Or at least parts of it do. And that's kinda crazy, because it adds so much more potential material to the Sentry lore. That will have to be investigated further down the line. A lot will depend on what Jeff Lemire establishes.

Iron Man will make an appearance as well, which is really cool. With Iron Man / Tony Stark being big in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and him being absent in the comics for a long time, it gives Tony Stark fans a good reason to look into the Sentry book.

Sentry #3 will come out on the 22nd of August. Pre-order it, buy it! The story is written by Jeff Lemire with art by Kim Jacinto and Joshua Cassara.

As you can see the book is getting an additional artist. Now the question is, if Kim Jacinto didn't have enough time to finish the book, so that Joshua Cassara had to jump in... Or if they hired Joshua to draw alternate reality parts of the story, like for example The Age Of The Sentry stuff.
I'll be honest and admit, that I don't like when there is a sudden artist change during an issue. Especially if both artists have very different styles. It just breaks the immersion, if you ask me. In Sentry #1 and Sentry #2 Kim Jacinto has done everything, so we'll have to see how this turns out now.

Prior to this reveal Marvel has revealed an alternate cover for Sentry #3. It was one of the 20 alternate covers featuring the Fantastic Four:

(please log in to view the image)
https://i.imgur.com/e3yfquy.jpg

The interesting thing about this alternate Fantastic Four cover is, that's pretty much the only cover, where the Fantastic Four don't appear in their "superhero suits". They appear in formal wear and are smiling at the camera (Robert Reynolds point of view, one would assume), which further points at their relationship in the comics. They used to be old friends after all, even though we didn't see any of that during the Bendis era.

Jeff Lemire, the writer of the Sentry, has appeared on a podcast not all too long ago. He was asked about his Sentry book and shared a little bit of information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjblOjf7G6s
^ starts at 35:30

I personally liked what he had to say. While I love the concept of the Void and the dynamic between the Sentry and the Void, I did feel like the same story was told over and over again. It sounds like Jeff Lemire starts off with that dynamic, but immediately takes another direction and adds more to the Sentry. And that's awesome.

Old Post Yesterday 10:28 AM
KidStranglehold

Liking what I am hearing.

Old Post Yesterday 02:09 PM