KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » My Final Take on the Ritual of Ziost

My Final Take on the Ritual of Ziost
Started by: XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

My Final Take on the Ritual of Ziost

And yes, I said ritual.

So, as a thread created by member Selenial pointed out, Vitiate did perform some sort of ritual to consume all life on Ziost. This begs a few questions: which part of Ziost actually was a ritual? Does this diminish the impressiveness of Vitiate? Let's find out:

Which Part of Ziost Required a Ritual?

Answer: The part we don't see.

An important part of understanding Boyd's take on Ziost is reading what he actually agreed with:

quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL
Now this is just conjecture based on my own interpretations, but based on the JK story the ritual to consume the life in the galaxy required 2 things. A certain amount of deaths over a certain time and a huge amount of death in a short time, probably creating a disturbance in the force which Vitiate can use to feed or something.

On Ziost his spirit controls beings and then uses to kill other beings then posses more, it's a cycle until I think it reaches a point where he's able to consume the planet.

quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL
You know, this might actually be a good explanation for it. Hopefully someone will clear it up because from the Revan novel and every other source it always seemed to involve a force related ritual, no Zildrog at all, but I suppose it's possible that information could be retconned as Nyriss could've been wrong or not fully aware of what had happened.

quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Myrmicus
Force ritual and the use of Zildrog aren't necessarily excluding one another. Even if Vitiate used a particular mean to end people's lives, I think he would still need to perform a ritual in order to catch the spirits of the deads. In the end, no matter said murdering means, that's not what will be remembered. People who are Force Sensitive can feel the death of a whole world through the Force... if someone siphon the energy of the population of an entire planet, someone is bound to feel it. The latter is much more troubling than the former, since there are a lot of way to effectively kill entire populations in the matter of seconds, while there isn't that much appearence of one being eating said population.

The first and third quotes that Boyd affirmed are especially interesting. The first quote was in response to someone asking, "But then how do we explain Ziost?" The answer likens Ziost to the galaxy ritual, i.e. causing constant death over a period of time and massive amounts of death over a short time. Funny enough, Ziost fits the bill. Throughout the expansion, the Emperor is causing constant death and feeding in increasing amounts to expand his power. Eventually, his power grows to a point where he can end all life on Ziost, which as affirmed by Boyd, causes a disturbance in the force, allowing him to consume the spirits of those he had just killed. Notice the bifurcation between Vitiate ending all life on Ziost through the death wave, and consuming the spirits of the dead. Said bifurcation is noted throughout the entire third quote that Boyd agreed with. So tl;dr:

• The Emperor causes constant death over a period of time through his soldiers and monoliths, and he feeds on this constant death to continuously grow in power, thus allowing him to possess more people, create more monoliths, and cause more death.
  • The Emperor eventually reaches a point where he has the necessary power to kill everybody on Ziost, thus fulfilling the second ingredient of the ritual: massive amounts of death in a short period of time. Note that this ingredient isn't a ritual in and of itself.
  • The above 2 combined cause a disturbance in the force, thus allowing the Emperor to feed on the spirits of every life he had just killed on Ziost.

I think this starts to make more sense when you realize how the Emperor fed throughout the entire Revanite War and Ziost: invisibly. We never actually see the Emperor drain beings on-screen. The death wave that killed every being on Ziost wasn't the outcome of his ritual, it was an ingredient that allowed him to perform a ritual. This, at least in my opinion, shows that the death wave is indicative of the Emperor's own personal power, as it's essentially confirmed to not be a ritual in and of itself.

Does this diminish the impressiveness of Vitiate?

No. In fact, after sorting out this whole situation, it only made me raise the Immortal Emperor even higher. Regardless of what I said above, the fact remains: the Emperor required a ritual to consume all the dead spirits on Ziost. Doesn't this essentially pull him out of the discussion with the likes of Palpatine, or even Darth Nihilus? I beg to differ.

To quickly compare Nihilus and Vitiate, I would argue their positions are quite similar. As member DarthAnt66 pointed out, Nihilus uses his fleet to blast worlds into ruin, then devours their life energy. It's entirely possible (likely?) that the mass death caused by Nihilus' fleet caused a profound disturbance in the force, thus allowing Nihilus to feed. The difference is that instead of using a fleet, Vitiate causes constant and mass death under his own power. Not to mention the fact that Vitiate was heavily weakened/vastly pre-prime while doing it.

Another reason why this doesn't diminish Vitiate is the sheer depth of his drain when compared to just about any other force user. As we see with Vaylin, when he consumes an individual's spirit, it allows him to not only grow in power and immortality, but to actually control said individual's spirit and use it as a weapon, as shown in KOTET Chapter 9. The gains the Emperor receives from consuming spirits are tremendous: the population of a single city on Ziost gives him the power to rid the entire planet of life, when previously he was merely possessing soldiers and causing delirium. Where my raising of the Emperor comes into play is in the following implication: if the Emperor grew this tremendously in power from killing and consuming the individuals of a single city, how much more powerful would he be upon killing and consuming all life on the entire planet?

That's all. Feedback would be appreciated.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jul 14th, 2018 04:43 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unbowed

Doesn't Visas Marr explicitly state that Nihilus laying waste to Katarr was "not a thing done with machines"?

Old Post Jul 14th, 2018 06:43 PM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Not the point of the argument here.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jul 14th, 2018 08:16 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Yeah it always worked like this. The galaxy ritual was no different at all.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2018 11:33 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Strikes me as a bit of a queer tactic to ask for feedback on a thread titled "my final take on (insert issue)."

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 04:15 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Haschwalth

Wouldn't this imply Vitiate would of devoured all life in this galaxy via his own power.
He needed Millions dead from the war, and then Millions/death of a planet, to create said ritual. Wouldn't this imply, Vitiate had a decent amount of power, comparatively for the Galaxy Ritual, before he was stopped by the HoT.

Last edited by Haschwalth on Jul 15th, 2018 at 04:39 AM

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 04:37 AM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Retracted.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 04:40 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Strikes me as a bit of a queer tactic to ask for feedback on a thread titled "my final take on (insert issue)."

Fair enough.

Originally posted by Haschwalth
Wouldn't this imply Vitiate would of devoured all life in this galaxy via his own power.
He needed Millions dead from the war, and then Millions/death of a planet, to create said ritual. Wouldn't this imply, Vitiate had a decent amount of power, comparatively for the Galaxy Ritual, before he was stopped by the HoT.

As far as the galaxy ritual is concerned, I'm not sure whether any of this information makes it more impressive than it already was. Given that it required trillions of deaths over a long, long period of time and then billions (trillions if we go by Belsavis iirc) of simultaneous deaths, I suspect that would cause an enormous disturbance in the force for Vitiate to use to feed on the galaxy. Not necessarily indicative of his off-the-cuff power.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 09:38 PM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

If that's not indicative of his off-the-cuff power, then why is Ziost?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 10:32 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

I never said consuming the spirits of the dead on Ziost was indicative of his off-the-cuff power. The point of this thread was suggesting that everything we see on Ziost (the possessing soldiers, creating monoliths, and killing everybody on Ziost) was indicative of his off-the-cuff power, actions that allowed him to consume the spirits of the dead.

Last edited by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ on Jul 15th, 2018 at 10:44 PM

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 10:40 PM
Selenial
I Choose Violence

No, but the Galaxy ritual required deaths to trigger a ritual that would then kill everyone else and feed on their essences. An easy parallel exists between that and Ziost, Vitiate possessed a population and had them murder each other to fuel a ritual that then wipes out and consumes the rest.

What information did you see that convinced you to set aside the obvious parallels in the story and assume the wave that destroyed the planet was entirely separate from the ritual to consume, unlike the past larger attempts? I'm just not quite seeing it.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 11:07 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

[QUOTE=16653482]Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I never said consuming the spirits of the dead on Ziost was indicative of his off-the-cuff power. The point of this thread was suggesting that everything we see on Ziost (the possessing soldiers, creating monoliths, and killing everybody on Ziost) was indicative of his off-the-cuff power, actions that allowed him to consume the spirits of the dead. [/QUOTE

Okay, so by extension would you also contend that killing all life in the galaxy and *not* consuming their souls is also something indicative of vanilla Vitiate's off the cuff power?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 11:13 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Damn, look at that guy's quote fail. That's just embarassing.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jul 16th, 2018 at 12:49 AM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 12:45 AM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Selenial
No, but the Galaxy ritual required deaths to trigger a ritual that would then kill everyone else and feed on their essences. An easy parallel exists between that and Ziost, Vitiate possessed a population and had them murder each other to fuel a ritual that then wipes out and consumes the rest.

The only issue I have with this is that we already know what Vitiate used the population for: to accumulate power for his own reserves. Now, with Boyd's comments, we can also add, "fulfilling first ingredient for the ritual," but there's no reason to believe that the deaths the Emperor was causing on Ziost through his possessed soldiers and monoliths were fuel for the ritual in and of themselves, especially given that we know for a fact that the Emperor was consuming their energies himself to become more powerful. It's corroborated by Lana and by the codex:

quote:
However, he did gain power enough to flee the jungle moon and survive. Now that he has found in Ziost a suitable target to replenish himself--now that he appears to grow more powerful by the hour--what now? When will his unforgiving depletion of Ziost end? And when it does end, what fate will befall the rest of the galaxy?

Given that you yourself are likening Ziost to the galaxy ritual, just as Boyd seems to, then some common themes would need to be established, like:

-constant death over a period of time (his initial actions on Ziost)
-massive amounts of simultaneous deaths (the death wave)

It's important to note that this notion isn't just coming out of my ass, it's what Boyd agreed to on that thread with quotes from users like:

quote:
It's no conflict. Vitiate used Zildrog to destroy Nathema, then fed on the death. Zildrog "devoured" the living, Vitiate "devoured" the dead, and the death was simply the catalyst.

quote:
Even if Vitiate used a particular mean to end people's lives, I think he would still need to perform a ritual in order to catch the spirits of the dead...there are a lot of way to effectively kill entire populations in the matter of seconds, while there isn't that much appearance of one being eating said population.

And I would argue Nathema is the much more obvious comparison to Ziost, as opposed to the galaxy ritual.

The only real alternative would be another explanation for the massive amounts of simultaneous deaths, but to say it was just the deaths of the population via soldiers and monoliths that fueled the ritual makes it rather not like the galaxy ritual, which would make Boyd rather full of shit, which brings us back to square one.

Originally posted by Selenial
What information did you see that convinced you to set aside the obvious parallels in the story and assume the wave that destroyed the planet was entirely separate from the ritual to consume, unlike the past larger attempts? I'm just not quite seeing it.

I never said that the wave was entirely separate, in fact I said that the death wave was one of the two major ingredients for the ritual, essentially the catalyst that caused a profound disturbance in the force, thus allowing Vitiate to feed. The way I see it, Vitiate was performing the role Zildrog had performed on Nathema: "Devouring" the living. As explained in the aforementioned quote, Zildrog ended all life on Nathema, which presumably caused a profound disturbance in the force that allowed Vitiate to feed off of the extinction. IIRC even the codex describes the galaxy ritual as Vitiate "feeding off the extinction" of the galaxy.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 04:18 PM
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Okay, so by extension would you also contend that killing all life in the galaxy and *not* consuming their souls is also something indicative of vanilla Vitiate's off the cuff power?

I would, but the issue is that there seem to be fundamental differences between the galaxy ritual and Nathema, and by extension, Ziost.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 04:22 PM
Haschwalth

Also would like to point out that, Wraths Vision of the Galaxy Ritual only consumed everyone's souls in Drumond kaas, not their bodies like Ziost/Nathema.

Which would mean, Vitiate's Ritual Galaxy Ritual could still follow the same logic, with the Trillions of deaths being the catalyst, for a massive force disturbance, in which Vitiate could of consumed the Galaxies souls. And by extension screw over the suns. This is some insane galactic level soul ****ery.

Would also wager this force disturbance to be beyond Plageuis/SIdious's ****ing with the force Pre TPM

Last edited by Haschwalth on Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:32 PM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 11:30 PM
Click here to Send Haschwalth a Private Message Find more posts by Haschwalth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoke123

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLE5EU33mR4
even the stars are consumed, vitiate is good indeed.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 01:32 AM
Click here to Send snoke123 a Private Message Find more posts by snoke123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoke123

I want to know what kind of technique valkorion, used to do this:
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 04:49 PM
Click here to Send snoke123 a Private Message Find more posts by snoke123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

quote:
I think this starts to make more sense when you realize how the Emperor fed throughout the entire Revanite War and Ziost: invisibly. We never actually see the Emperor drain beings on-screen. The death wave that killed every being on Ziost wasn't the outcome of his ritual, it was an ingredient that allowed him to perform a ritual.

Of course he did?
Doesn't everyone know that? I thought it was pretty bluntly stated in the lore.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 06:43 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Of course he did?
Doesn't everyone know that? I thought it was pretty bluntly stated in the lore.

Believe me, just about nothing regarding Ziost is bluntly stated in the lore.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2018 08:55 PM