KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Snoke's power.

Snoke's power.
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

If they ever reveal Snoke's backstory, it should be something epic / significant to the overarching mythology.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 07:18 PM
Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
It can be... But it hasn't been. As of now, the quote from TFA is perfectly valid -- Snoke is not human.

It's not a link, it's a quote... From the novel.
Oh good! I will read that then! Thanks.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 07:25 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by The Ellimist
If they ever reveal Snoke's backstory, it should be something epic / significant to the overarching mythology.

Not really holding my breath for that.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 07:53 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

You seem not to show interest in Snok’e’s past Wolf.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:01 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If you think back to Palpatine's first two canon appearances ever, they parallel Snoke's to some degree.

-In ESB, Palpatine appeared briefly as a hologram. In TFA, Snoke appeared briefly as a hologram.
-In RotJ, Palpatine briefly appeared in the flesh and did some shit before he was killed by his apprentice. In TLJ, Snoke briefly appeared in the flesh and did some shit before he was killed by his apprentice.

When the original films were first released we knew almost nothing about Palpatine, aside from the fact that he was Vader's master and could shoot lightning from his hands. Fast-forward to now, and he has been expanded on ad nauseum, and is easily the most well-known/detailed Sith Lord in the mythos.

Same basic thing can be said about Snoke: as of now we know next-to-nothing about him -- but I have no doubt that his backstory will be [thoroughly] expanded on in the near future. I just hope his story is done well, because it does have potential to be fantastic given the whole "hails from the Unknown Regions" thing. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Sep 12th, 2018 at 08:14 PM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

It does, I like the fact that it relates so closely to Palpatine. Smoke seems to be a remake of Sidious which is the closest I am going to get of Palpatine coming back! This is obviously the best Disney morph they made to Star Wars.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:23 PM
Zenwolf

@Vict

It's because the way he was portrayed, it was just basically Palps 2.0 as Galan said, his death was really cheesy as well. Why do I wanna see the same thing twice?

Plus as I've tried to get into the new Disney stuff, a lot of it just doesn't interest me. Bits n pieces have my interest, but that's it and I really tried looking at it with an open mind. I'm just not holding my breath for Snoke's backstory being something huge, because....I mean come on were getting something called The Resistance...unless they get someone good on his backstory it's in the far back of my interests.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Sep 12th, 2018 at 08:30 PM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:27 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

From Parts Unknown

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:31 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

No.

In SW, humanoid is a very broad term that simply refers to most upright/bipedal species in the mythos. Rukh, for example, is classified as humanoid, and he obviously isn't near-human.

A true 'near-human' would be a character like Dryden Vos.
Oh ok. Thanks!

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 08:37 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

Originally posted by Zenwolf
@Vict

It's because the way he was portrayed, it was just basically Palps 2.0 as Galan said, his death was really cheesy as well. Why do I wanna see the same thing twice?

Plus as I've tried to get into the new Disney stuff, a lot of it just doesn't interest me. Bits n pieces have my interest, but that's it and I really tried looking at it with an open mind. I'm just not holding my breath for Snoke's backstory being something huge, because....I mean come on were getting something called The Resistance...unless they get someone good on his backstory it's in the far back of my interests.
Indeed, I understand and respect your perspective. I do agree that they repeat this, but I loved the character of Sidious so, I hope that they base Snoke off him, but change some of the main story lines of Snoke, everything shouldn’t be exactly the same. I do believe that his death was pathetic and that they were just trying to find a way to get rid of him. He was more powerful than everyone but Luke in the last Jedi, they had to kill him in a pathetic way. It was the only way. You know, because Luke is too scared to do it himself. They should have just kept him alive honestly.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 09:29 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I do not want Snoke to just be 'Palpatine 2.0'. That's ridiculous.

He has the potential to be something wholly original in this franchise, and I hope they keep him that way. The only one who can do Palpatine is Palpatine.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 09:46 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

I do not want Snoke to just be 'Palpatine 2.0'. That's ridiculous.

He has the potential to be something wholly original in this franchise, and I hope they keep him that way. The only one who can do Palpatine is Palpatine.
I didn’t say that, I said that he should be a remake. A replacement, but a good one. Own backstory, but needs to have a lot of the same abilities as Palpatine.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 09:56 PM
Zenwolf

So just be a Force User then, cause Palps doesn't really have any unique abilities to his own.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 10:04 PM
The Merchant

From all the info Snoke has on him, I think there is a possiblity he might be an ancient Knight of Ren or some warrior esque order from the Unknown Regions, who is interested in the Force as a whole though obviously prefers the Dark Side. He started his mission on collecting force antiquities from all orders including the Jedi and Sith some time or perhaps before the Prequel Trilogy, which also allowed hin to stumble into the Known Galaxy. He then waited for the events he might have seen through Precognition to occur and well we got what we goy.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 10:42 PM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Snoke knew an awful lot about Palpatine and Vader, along with the Empire's superstructure. He'd been surveying them/it for a LONG time, I'd wager.

There has to be a reason why he was fangirling over Vader, and why he basically remade the Imperial military from scratch, when he could have made any style of military in existence. Hell, even the planet used as a platform for Starkiller Base was once strip-mined by the Empire for its kyber crystals. So yeah, way too many parallels here...

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 11:02 PM
Zenwolf

Snoke knew an awful lot about Palpatine and Vader, along with the Empire's superstructure. He'd been surveying them/it for a LONG time, I'd wager.

There has to be a reason why he was fangirling over Vader, and why he basically remade the Imperial military from scratch, when he could have made any style of military in existence. Hell, even the planet used as a platform for Starkiller Base was once strip-mined by the Empire for its kyber crystals. So yeah, way too many parallels here...

Well...or just wanting to re-tread old ground to play it safe for the fans. None of the other militaries in SW ever really deviate, always seems to be similar in one form or another.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2018 11:17 PM
Freedon Nadd

I won't at all be surprised if Snoke is revealed to be a Grysk Master, tbh.

*Snoke hails from the Unknown Regions. The Grysk also hail from the Unknown Regions.

*The Grysks' physical features were left intentionally vague, but they were described as: "a wide-shouldered creature with angled brow ridges, a tapered skull, and deep-set eyes." While there was no mention of them being unusually tall like Snoke is, the other physical attributes certainly mesh with Snoke's features. Moreover, only the low-level underling Grysk were depicted in the novel -- but it was stated that they had 'Masters' that were overseeing everything that had transpired.

*Per the TLJ novelization, Snoke was intimately familiar with the Unknown Regions(along with the "terrors" that lurk within it), and was able to save the Imperial remnants that had fled there after the events of RotJ/Aftermath. The Chiss use the precog of their force-sensitive children to navigate through the UR, so perhaps the Grysk do as well... Perhaps Snoke is one of their force-sensitives -- that might explain why his psionic abilities/precog were so impressive. /shrug

*Snoke had evidently "watched the Empire rise and fall". The Grysk have been surveying the Republic/Empire since the Clone Wars, and I highly doubt they had stopped surveying it by the time the Empire fell.

*I would assume the Grysk have also been specifically surveying Palpatine and Vader in particular(especially after the events of Alliances, wherein Vader was wrecking droves of Grysk soldiers)... And that might also explain why Snoke was fangirling over Vader in TLJ.

He looks more like a Vagaari.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Sep 14th, 2018 02:42 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

That's a false parallel between Snoke and Sidious. Sidious was essential to the plot and it would've made sense to tell us how he took over the galaxy. We weren't introduced to him properly at first, since he was just part of the setting that we'd been dropped in and knew enough.

Snoke was different. Different to the audience, if not to the characters.

He was supposedly the reason the Galaxy became the way it did, although how that happened was never explained. He wasn't a beloved character, nor someone anyone who doesn't actively try to look for lore in the EU cares about. So we may get stories about his past, which I believe could be very interesting, but he's not going to be the next Palpatine by any means.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2018 08:21 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote