KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")

Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Worried Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")

Promo Trailer #1:

Promo Trailer #2:

quote:
Star Wars: The High Republic, which has previously been referred to as "Project Luminous", will be set in an era when the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order are at their zenith, about 200 years before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. This period on the Star Wars timeline will not overlap any of the filmed features or series currently planned for production, giving creators and partners a vast amount of room to tell Star Wars stories with new adventures and original characters.

"We are so excited to be opening up such a rich, fertile era for our authors to explore," says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "We'll get to see the Jedi in their prime."

"Star Wars: The High Republic features the Jedi as we've always wanted to see them -- as true guardians of peace and justice. This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi and the Galactic Republic are at their height. But of course, into this glorious new era something wicked this way comes," says Lucasfilm publishing creative director Michael Siglain. "This initiative will give readers young and old a new corner of the galaxy to explore through rich, meaningful stories. Plus, readers will learn what scares the Jedi."

"This was a golden age for the Jedi, and also a time of galactic expansion in the Outer Rim. So expect there to be rich tales of exploration; charting out the galaxy, meeting new cultures, and discovering what pioneer life in the Outer Rim was like. This is an incredible sandbox for our storytellers to play in, both within publishing and beyond, and we can't wait to see the great fiction they build within it," says Lucasfilm vice president, franchise content and strategy James Waugh.

(please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 10th, 2021 at 06:35 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 09:19 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Well.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 09:21 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

**** Disney.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 11:38 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I just don't get what angle they're going to play here. Is the point of this 'event' to... Remove the force from the galaxy, or create an 'alternate' force, or..?

This may be what finally removes any semblance of interest I still have in Disney canon.

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:54 AM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 12:30 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Ok I'm calling it, they are gonna introduce Artifical Force Users. But it seems to me...that it's gonna be more based from technology, rather than The Force.

I'm seeing pretty much Reborn/Shadowtroopers from the Empire Reborn under Desann. The difference is, technology is what's probably gonna fuel them with The Force rather than having the actual Force being imbued into them by a powerful Force User or an ancient sith artifact.

Or perhaps Galan as you said, an alternate Force...which yeah...that I wouldn't like.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Oct 7th, 2019 at 12:50 AM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's just it: the teaser is so vaguely written that they could go any number of worrisome ways with it.

This could be really, really bad. Hope not, but I have virtually no faith in them at this point. Soule is the only potential light in the darkness there for me, but even he can only do so much.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 01:37 PM
Zenwolf

Is there a specific date for this? Also taking place in which era?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 01:49 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

There is virtually no info available for Project Luminous. In fact, that teaser is about it.

Soule has also be teasing it the last few months, but all he's saying is that it's going to be BIG. They've been very tight-lipped about it.

That said, no idea which era it will be set in, and no idea *when* in 2020 it'll begin. Rebellion era seems unlikely, though, as Soule is going to relaunch the SW comic series soon, and set it in the post-ESB/pre-RotJ era... But again, there's nothing concrete yet.

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 7th, 2019 at 01:59 PM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 01:56 PM
Zenwolf

Hmm...to me it might sound like it might take place after the ST is done since it’s finishing up. Might be doing this to make up for the lack of Force Users we haven’t seen.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2019 02:10 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

These are, as of now, unconfirmed rumors, so keep that in mind while reading. That being said, this is supposedly the premise of Project Luminous...

"Supposedly, Disney is also feeling that its current path with movies has flaws, and has, therefore, started designing a huge project years ago, which would result in making the future of the Star Wars franchise similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Our informant said that the new, connected multiplatform story will be set 300-400 years BEFORE the Skywalker-saga. The plot would involve a group of Jedi setting out to explore the Unknown Regions of the Galaxy (Timothy Zahn's Outbound Flight might come into mind, which also deals with the Jedi exploring what lies outside the edges of the Galaxy). According to our informant, the Jedi would get involved in numerous adventures and conflicts with three different types of enemies, the darkest being ancient evils, Sith gods of some sort.

As far as we know, these stories would be separate, but also connected, similar to the MCU. The more one would see, the more it could be enjoyed, with the different plots culminating in the style of the Avengers movies. The main Jedi characters would also have different strengths and powers, similar to superheroes.

Although Project Luminous is said to be launched in 2020, our informant said that its first product will be a video game in 2021, but could provide no information about its content and its developers."

-Source

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 6th, 2020 at 05:24 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 01:30 PM
Darth Thor

Im all for inter connectivity between different mediums of canon. But trying to emulate Avengers sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 01:46 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Sounds like it's only going to "emulate Avengers" in the sense that several different stories will interweave into a single, unified crescendo event. That formula sounds fantastic to me. And it's going to be set in the unknown Regions where they can literally do anything with the plot that they want (enter the "Sith gods")thumb upthumb up

There's also no way we won't see a middle-aged Yoda in this, which will also be cool.

Last edited by Sheev on Jan 6th, 2020 at 01:55 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 01:51 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sheev
Sounds like it's only going to "emulate Avengers" in the sense that several different stories will interweave into a single, unified crescendo event.

And Jedi with different powers to try and emulate superheroes.

Theres clearly potential there but Star Wars has always been a franchise that mixed up different genres to do its own thing. Its never emulated one specific franchise, so that sounds worrying.

Of course a lot will depend on whose in charge at this stage. If its Feige, then of course hed be the perfect guy to emulate his own formula.

If its Kennedy, I can see this going horribly wrong.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 02:14 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Different Jedi have ALWAYS (even in Legends) had particular strengths in different areas of the Force, and have often been recruited specifically FOR that strength when a mission calls for it. Even the Disney haters should be able to admit that this is NOT a new concept.

I imagine Kennedy's tenure with SW (at least where large-scale events are concerned) is done. The front-runners of this Project are Gray, Ireland, Scott, Soule, and Older. And I fully expect Feige to be brought in as co-president to help produce this story.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 02:26 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Different Jedi have ALWAYS (even in Legends) had particular strengths in different areas of the Force, and have often been recruited specifically FOR that strength when a mission calls for it. Even the Disney haters should be able to admit that this is NOT a new concept.

I get that. Im just worried that they are actively trying to emulate superheroes. And specifically bringing them together like a superhero team. Star Wars has always bee its own thing, if you just make it a 2nd rate Marvel franchise, then audiences will treat it as such.

But like I said, there is potential if done right, and certainly if this is what Feige is doing for Star Wars. Feige is a big Star Wars fan as well.

I imagine Kennedy's tenure with SW (at least where large-scale events are concerned) is done.

I sure hope so. Ive already heard youtubers giving her massive credit for achieving an average of a billon dollars per film for the Disney Star Wars films.

Instead of pointing out shes lost almost half the audience since its Force Awakens debut.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 6th, 2020 at 02:39 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 02:35 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, if this is indeed the route Project Luminous is headed, then I don't see Jedi being treated as Avengers-esque superheroes, but rather, specific Jedi being recruited for the special/unique abilities they might have, which could be useful in a mission to uncharted space with completely unknown threats lurking there.

Similarly to what Mace did here:
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

As Sheev said: Jedi putting together teams like that is not a new concept at all -- it happened frequently in Legends as well. If people choose to perceive it as an "Avengers ripoff" or whathaveyou, then that's just their own ignorance of the franchise bleeding through.

...Now if they have the leader yell "JEDI ASSSSEEEMMMMMBLEEEEE!!!!" or some shit, then that's another matter entirely. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 04:13 PM
Darth Thor

^ That would all be fine if the article you posted didnt specifically mention Avengers and superheroes. Really depends where there head is at. If this is a natural extension of the lore inspired by the EU, or if its Disney/Lucasfilm panicking and asking Feige to come in and turn this franchise into the Star Wars equivalent of Avengers lol

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 04:35 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's just what the person who wrote the article likened his informant's leaks to. It's not like Disney put out an official press release that directly compared Project Luminous to the Avengers.

This guy compares it to the Avengers format, because several different stories will ultimately mesh into a single, large-scale event. Difference is, these stories will all be taking place across various forms of media -- from games, to novels, to comics, to films... It's a very bold premise that I can honestly get behind if done right(like you said.)

He also compares the Jedi to superheroes, because each member of the team(s) will have special powers that are unique to them and help balance the collective. But again, specific Jedi being recruited to a team due to the unique abilities they possess isn't a new concept at all. They did stuff like that in Legends, and they have previously done it in canon... This would just elevate the idea a bit. /shrug

...But I'm sure the anti-Disney folks will run with the "Avengers ripoff" comparison nonetheless.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 6th, 2020 at 05:20 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 04:54 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Ok I'm calling it, they are gonna introduce Artifical Force Users.

That was already done in the Jedi Knight series.

Edit: nvm, I see you're familiar with the concept already thumb up

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 04:54 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Galan007
That's just what the person who wrote the article likened his informant's leaks to. It's not like Disney put out an official press release that directly compared Project Luminous to the Avengers.

This guy compares it to the Avengers, because several different stories will ultimately mesh into a single, large-scale event. Difference is, these stories will all be taking place across various forms of media -- from games, to novels, to comics, to films... It's a very bold premise that I can honestly get behind if done right(like you said.)

He also compares the Jedi to superheroes, because each member of the team(s) will have special powers that are unique to them and help balance the collective. But again, specific Jedi being recruited to a team due to the unique abilities they possess isn't a new concept at all. They did stuff like that in Legends, and they have previously done it in canon... This would just elevate the idea a bit. /shrug

...But I'm sure the anti-Disney folks will run with the "Avengers ripoff" comparison nonetheless.
Yep. It's easier for them to troll just because they hate disney, then it is for them to know what they're actually talking about.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 05:08 PM