KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")

Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
It's not like Disney put out an official press release that directly compared Project Luminous to the Avengers.

To be fair though Disney would never officially admit that. Only an inside source could tell somebody thats what they have in mind.

But yeah if you take out the Avengers/superhero emulation it sounds fine in principle.

Even pulling a bit from the superhero genre is fine, as Star Wars has always pulled from different genres but made something unique to itself which inspires filmmaking in general.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 05:26 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by ares834
**** Disney.

This.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 05:31 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
To be fair though Disney would never officially admit that. Only an inside source could tell somebody thats what they have in mind.

But yeah if you take out the Avengers/superhero emulation it sounds fine in principle.

Even pulling a bit from the superhero genre is fine, as Star Wars has always pulled from different genres but made something unique to itself which inspires filmmaking in general.
thumb up

If the leaks are legit and this really is where they're heading with Project Luminous, then it could be good IF(key word) done right... Really good, imo.

We'll see what happens, though. Disney is supposed to be making an official announcement about it sometime this month.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 07:23 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ StarWars.net is the source and is a fairly reliable one.

I also like the idea that the odd cameo from Yoda will be the only link to the PT/OT.

Will Force them to be creative for the next films.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 08:58 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Most of the reliable sources are connecting "High Republic" to Project Luminous, so yeah, it seems pretty legit as of now.

Yoda is the only known/canon Jedi who would be alive in that period, so I'm sure he'll play some sort of role(possibly Yaddle as well, but I'm not sure when she was inducted into the Order.) And like you guys said: it is also possible that Maz could make an appearance, as she is older than even Yoda(and force-sensitive to boot.)

All the other Jedi involved will pretty much *have* to be new characters, which is great. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 6th, 2020 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 09:12 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hutchy1345

I'm pretty excited for this I have to say. A good creative team behind it, a new period of time forcing creativity and preventing us being let down compared to legends content and having jedi with different abilities... Adds another dimension when you have jedi (like in that windu comic) that are really unique. All we need now is the announcement of a mix of Dave filoni, Jon favreau and Kevin Feige leading this next wave of star wars content.
Rumours of a game for 2021, I wonder what that will be?

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 10:35 PM
Click here to Send hutchy1345 a Private Message Find more posts by hutchy1345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by hutchy1345
a new period of time forcing creativity

Yep, and great thing is this Republic stands for the next 400years. So they cant have a Death Star just blow it up and create a new Rebellion/Resistance. Or have the Sith in charge again as they are staying hidden for the next 400years.

They would literally have no choice but to go in a new direction.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 11:25 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

True. thumb up

And setting it largely in the Unknown Regions gives them wiggle room to do pretty much anything they want with the story... Because even by the time of the PT, there was virtually no information about the Unknown Regions. It wasn't until Thrawn entered the fray that more info about it started surfacing.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 6th, 2020 at 11:55 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 11:52 PM
hutchy1345

The whole dark side gods thing sounds quite insane.... I hope they don't make it too over the top though.
As for the sith, I can't see us getting too much about them even though it would be cool to see

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 11:53 PM
Click here to Send hutchy1345 a Private Message Find more posts by hutchy1345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The leak mentions 3 different types of enemies.

The "Sith gods" are just one of them.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 11:59 PM
ares834

I'm not liking any comparisons to the MCU or Marvel in general. A big part of the problem I had with the ST is how they treated the Jedi and the Force and if they are basically super heroes in this series then they will once again misunderstand the Force/Jedi.

With that said, I will have to see how they do it. The idea of having some Jedi explore the Unknown Regions during a previously unexplored era does sound interesting. Keep Maz the **** away though.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 01:07 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Keep Maz the **** away though.

I was about to say that...

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 01:23 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

**** Disney.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 01:26 PM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I'm not liking any comparisons to the MCU or Marvel in general. A big part of the problem I had with the ST is how they treated the Jedi and the Force and if they are basically super heroes in this series then they will once again misunderstand the Force/Jedi.

With that said, I will have to see how they do it. The idea of having some Jedi explore the Unknown Regions during a previously unexplored era does sound interesting. Keep Maz the **** away though.
You're right. It's all about the execution.

It has great potential, but then so did the ST. /shrug

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 01:40 PM
Darth Thor

The only reason the whole Avengers comparison worries me is because weve seen other studios try to copy Marvel and f*** up big time.

That said, Star Wars has always been inspired by different genres, so if a new Star Wars adds in a bit of the superhero genre, then theres nothing wrong with that.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 02:18 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Hey, they have Feige on their side now, don't they? They should be fine with this approach.

It worries me for the other reason - they don't really need to do it.

They should just adapt some EU stories. SW Legacy, Dark Times, Kyle Katarn... hell, whatever they want, they can always modify it to match the rest of their new universe or even call it an "Elsewords/What if" stand-alone film, if they really want to.

I always loved EU. New canon is taking time to develop properly and it still relies on the old stories.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 02:27 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ As long as Feige is in charge and not Kennedy trying to be a Feige.

And theres no EU to draw from. Kennedy confirmed that!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 02:35 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

laughing out loud

Serious talk now. I heard it was actually Lucasfilm's / George's decision to "end" their canon before the Disney deal?

So Disney had to start from a scratch, as that was their agreement?

But then, they keep using stuff such as Force Heal, Kyber crystals, Thrawn, Naga Sadow and so on.

So how does it work, exactly?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 02:37 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Serious talk now. I heard it was actually Lucasfilm's / George's decision to "end" their canon before the Disney deal?

So Disney had to start from a scratch, as that was their agreement?

But then, they keep using stuff such as Force Heal, Kyber crystals, Thrawn, Naga Sadow and so on.

So how does it work, exactly?

No George only told them they Have to keep His Canon as Canon. His Canon being the films and TCW series Only.

He never said they cant use the old EU to make new stuff.

Its theirs now, they can do what they want with it.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 02:54 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

No George only told them they Have to keep His Canon as Canon. His Canon being the films and TCW series Only.

Ah. Okay.

He never said they cant use the old EU to make new stuff.

Its theirs now, they can do what they want with it.

Makes sense, they own everything, after all.

But whose decision it was to start a "Post-Crisis" era of Star Wars? Disney's and only Disney's?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2020 03:09 PM