KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » *spoilers* do you like Disney's answer to Rey's parents?

*spoilers* do you like Disney's answer to Rey's parents?
Started by: redpill

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

And don’t forget it all depends on a certain point of view....smile

Old Post Jan 4th, 2018 04:03 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Right? I don't see why people feel this is suddenly some new and special thing.

Though I find the explanation for her power growing to be a little dry and unimaginative.
If Force users could be anyone, then that means there's nothing inherently special about that person to merit the gift of Force use. And there's nothing an insecure audience member hates more than being subversively told their fantasy stand-in (the Jedi/Sith characters) aren't inherently special. Because that means they couldn't be either.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2018 05:17 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

I take no issues with Rey being a nobody. The only thing is that TFA really doesn't build it up to be that way. Not that it's a huge deal I guess, because it isn't, but the movie does build her up to be someone.

(Maz has lived long enough to see the same eyes in many people, she knows Rey's eyes....the lightsaber was first Anakin's, then Lukes....and now it calls to you." During the force vision scene after the Knights of Ren are standing in the rain over the dead bodies we see Rey presumably being abandoned on Jakku...) It feels like there's all some huge connection.

It could be that I'm just seeing what I want to see, but after TLJ, which I did in fact love, it feels like so many things from TFA were all for nothing.

I like George.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2018 04:33 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I agree with that. There doesn't seem to be any kind of show runner here. Like Rian jutted changed the things he didn't like some things JJ set up so clearly to be fulfilled.

But maybe 'subverting' expectations is the new Disney policy. And that is also why movies are not going to win from tv series. TV series can't do that, it'll get stale quickly. They actually have to work from story and characters.

Let's see how JJ is going to 'adjust' Rian's work now.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 11:56 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Sith Master X
It could be that I'm just seeing what I want to see, but after TLJ, which I did in fact love, it feels like so many things from TFA were all for nothing.
I'm in favour of that. As enjoyable as TFA was, it still felt like it was just going to be one of those "Hero becomes who they who were meant to be" destiny stories. I've seen those, don't want another. At least in this franchise.

I don't mind the set-up that it's going to be a special person learning how special they are by dint of birth... and the rug gets pulled and they learn the bleak truth that they're a nobody... who still becomes someone special. Set-up, fall down, get back up anyway. Cool beans.

The actual reason-- that Abrams' script was essentially a standalone work in a planned trilogy, leaving Johnson to write his own follow-up sans an ultimate goal-- notwithstanding.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 04:16 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

A bit like the OT.

Except Empire is a masterpiece.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 07:49 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Anyone else finding the overwhelming antipathy toward Luke's fleeting moment of temptation about Ben to be just a smidge... stupid? Like... people seem to REALLY need Luke to be utterly and irrevocably just and pure post-RotJ. Like that one instance of resistance with the Emperor means he'll never ever ever ever have another moment of doubt or weakness again... somehow? No matter how brief it was, he needs to be f*cking perfect?

And here I was thinking people didn't want a Mary Sue.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 10:45 PM
Darth Thor

^ Not only did I or have an issue with that, I actually preferred Kylo’s version of the Story. Because that would have explained Luke’s exile. Running from the guilt of what he did and what he created.

But didn’t like the actual explanation for his exile. Shouldn’t take him so many years to reach the realisation that Kylo needs to be stopped and the Jedi are always needed.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 02:12 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Remember watching anh, then learning about the force, the esb introduces new stuff, then if Luke was actually a Jedi at the beginning of Rotj. Thinking that becoming a Jedi was the ultimate thing.....

Luke didn’t become a Jedi until he confronted and saved his father.....

Then, we forgot about that.....

Old Post Jan 14th, 2018 12:22 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Anyone else finding the overwhelming antipathy toward Luke's fleeting moment of temptation about Ben to be just a smidge... stupid? Like... people seem to REALLY need Luke to be utterly and irrevocably just and pure post-RotJ. Like that one instance of resistance with the Emperor means he'll never ever ever ever have another moment of doubt or weakness again... somehow? No matter how brief it was, he needs to be f*cking perfect?

And here I was thinking people didn't want a Mary Sue.

Where’s that other cliche... nothing new can top the OT.........
There is nothing new in ep 8 except the hologram projection.....
The story?.....what new story........

I hope they slow down the action in a ‘solo’ movie. So sick of fighters battling....

Old Post Jan 14th, 2018 12:37 AM
Kickballjedi

Originally posted by queeq
I think the whole point of Rey's parents being nobodies is that Force users can pop up anywhere. The ways of the Force are once again mysterious. And that is fine.

The Force works in mysterious ways?

I came up with a new theory recently- Schmi was a random slave on Tatooine and the story (as told by Sidius in RotS) is that Plagueis created life from Midichlorians. There's been some debate but I believe Anakin was the life created by Plagueis (no Father per Schmi- highest midichlorian count, etc). What if Plagueis (some have suggested Snoke was actually Plagueis) created life again, using a random dirt farmer on Jakku? Result: Rey.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2019 09:29 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Originally posted by Kickballjedi
The Force works in mysterious ways?

I came up with a new theory recently- Schmi was a random slave on Tatooine and the story (as told by Sidius in RotS) is that Plagueis created life from Midichlorians. There's been some debate but I believe Anakin was the life created by Plagueis (no Father per Schmi- highest midichlorian count, etc). What if Plagueis (some have suggested Snoke was actually Plagueis) created life again, using a random dirt farmer on Jakku? Result: Rey.

LOL @ Snoke being Plagueis

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 02:20 PM
Click here to Send CaveDude33211 a Private Message Find more posts by CaveDude33211 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CaveDude33211

Originally posted by Darth Luminous
Unless she's a new Chosen One...

The Prophecy of the Chosen One was fulfilled.

No new Chosen Ones.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2019 02:21 PM
Click here to Send CaveDude33211 a Private Message Find more posts by CaveDude33211 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Originally posted by Sith Master X
I take no issues with Rey being a nobody. The only thing is that TFA really doesn't build it up to be that way. Not that it's a huge deal I guess, because it isn't, but the movie does build her up to be someone.

(Maz has lived long enough to see the same eyes in many people, she knows Rey's eyes....the lightsaber was first Anakin's, then Lukes....and now it calls to you." During the force vision scene after the Knights of Ren are standing in the rain over the dead bodies we see Rey presumably being abandoned on Jakku...) It feels like there's all some huge connection.

Rey's vision goes to the night at the temple, which is the key conflict between Luke and Kylo that she becomes involved in TLJ. It goes to the day she was permanently abandoned by her parents, which Maz already tells her ('they're not coming back') and Kylo forces her to admit it in TLJ. Lastly it goes to the forest, where she truly realizes her powers, and once again Kylo is there too. Kylo is the main figure in her vision.

When Maz says that someone is coming to her and the belonging she seeks is ahead of her, she's speaking about...Kylo. Rey thinks it's Luke, but it's really Kylo.

====================

Anyway, my main issue wasn't Rey's parents not being from being a special lineage, but rather how in like a month or two (whatever timeframe TFA + TLJ happened back to back) she has the fighting aptitude and Force strength of a Jedi who has trained for years.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post May 30th, 2019 01:57 AM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Episode IX is retconning this, Rey's parentage will be explained differently

Old Post May 31st, 2019 07:40 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Episode IX is retconning this, Rey's parentage will be explained differently

Not exactly. Kylo Ren did tell her the truth (from a certain point of view wink ) but it wasn't the whole story. Now that we have the whole story, I say yes, I'm happy with it. Despite Rey's noble, heroic nature, they was something wild and dangerous about her as a force wielder in the previous two films. Now we know why.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 14th, 2020 11:13 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider
Not exactly. Kylo Ren did tell her the truth (from a certain point of view wink ) but it wasn't the whole story. Now that we have the whole story, I say yes, I'm happy with it. Despite Rey's noble, heroic nature, they was something wild and dangerous about her as a force wielder in the previous two films. Now we know why.

Nah it was a complete retcon. A response to the fan backlash.

Colin Trevorrows Episode 9 script had been leaked and it confirms she was always intended to be a nobody.

And darkness in her would have been down to her strong force connection to Kylo.

Besides... why would her grandfather she never knew have anything to do with how good or bad she is. That makes no sense at all.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 12:51 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like anything to do with Daisy Ridley.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 02:11 PM
Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Nah it was a complete retcon. A response to the fan backlash.

Colin Trevorrows Episode 9 script had been leaked and it confirms she was always intended to be a nobody.

And darkness in her would have been down to her strong force connection to Kylo.

Besides... why would her grandfather she never knew have anything to do with how good or bad she is. That makes no sense at all.

I wasn't expecting Palpatine's return but it does makes sense because he was there at the beginning, so he should be there at the end.

The OT was about the heroic rise of Luke Skywalker. When you add the PT to it, it becomes about the Rise, Fall, and Rise again of Anakin Skywalker. But now when you add the ST, it becomes about the intertwining of two family trees, the Skywalkers and the Palpatines.

You want to make films about heroes who are nobodies, that's what future films are for or the anthology films like Rogue One. Episodes 1-9 are definitely about family connections. Episode 1 started with a nobody (Anakin), the next trilogy was about the journey of his progeny (Luke and Leia), and the trilogy after that proved to about Palpatine's progeny, Rey. It creates a perfect parallel.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 05:22 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider
I wasn't expecting Palpatine's return but it does makes sense because he was there at the beginning, so he should be there at the end.

The OT was about the heroic rise of Luke Skywalker. When you add the PT to it, it becomes about the Rise, Fall, and Rise again of Anakin Skywalker. But now when you add the ST, it becomes about the intertwining of two family trees, the Skywalkers and the Palpatines.

You want to make films about heroes who are nobodies, that's what future films are for or the anthology films like Rogue One. Episodes 1-9 are definitely about family connections. Episode 1 started with a nobody (Anakin), the next trilogy was about the journey of his progeny (Luke and Leia), and the trilogy after that proved to about Palpatine's progeny, Rey. It creates a perfect parallel.

Im glad that worked for you. And I envy you for that.. Because I wish All 9 worked for me.

Im just pointing out a few facts though. Fact 1: Rey was intended to be a nobody, they panicked and retconned that for the final film. Fact 2: There were also no plans to bring back Palpatine for this film. That again was another panic move. Fact 3: This was never intended to be the end of the Skywalker saga, until (yet again) they panicked and retconned it to be that.

So because there was no intention of retconning later when beginning this trilogy, the trilogy does not flow well IMO. Because... well... it wasnt planned out.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2020 07:36 PM