KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Kylo Ren Respect Thread

Kylo Ren Respect Thread
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

Kylo Ren Respect Thread

I decided to start putting together a respect thread for one of my favorite characters who surprisingly doesn't get a lot of respect: Kylo Ren. Let me know if you know of any more good feats/accolades for me to add. Hopefully now my guy will get some more respect!

Kylo subdued Luke with the force

Kylo casually subdued 3 of Luke’s Jedi students with the force.

Kylo collapsed two massive statues on Elphrona after easily fending off the same 3 Jedi students, killing one of them.

Kylo defeated Ren

Kylo defeated the Zillo Beast. A feat that Vader himself was not able to achieve.

Kylo displays possibly more control over his force powers than previous Jedi/Sith when he freezes the blaster bolt:
“Kylo is not only showing that he can use the Force in this shot, he’s also showing us that he has an impressive amount of control over his powers—perhaps a larger amount of control than those who came before him.”
-starwars.com

Kylo Ren is one of the most powerful combatants in the history of Star Wars:
“Kylo Ren has a lifetime of training and practice, is one of the most powerful combatants in the history of Star Wars, and is the leader of the Knights of Ren.”
-starwars.com

Kylo’s lightsaber skills are comparable to Luke’s and Vader’s:
“Much like his grandfather and uncle before him, Kylo Ren possesses formidable lightsaber skills. He puts his talents in combat to use by annihilating Luke’s jedi students.”
-The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary

Kylo displays greater force power/durability than Asajj Ventress when he is able to stand and fight after being shot by Chewie's bowcaster. Asajj was shot by a far less powerful blaster and had to be carried away from battle.

Everything I’ve posted so far has taken place at least 1 year before the events of TROS. During this year Kylo’s powers only continued to grow:

Kylo was continuing to grow stronger:
“There’s no light left in Kylo Ren, he’s only growing stronger”
-The Last Jedi

Snoke no longer senses conflict or weakness in Kylo, instead he senses resolve and strength:
"My worthy apprentice, heir apparent to Lord Vader. Where there was conflict I now sense resolve. Where there was weakness, strength. Complete your training and fulfill your destiny!"
-The Last Jedi

The Royal Guards that Rey fought in TROS were more formidable than the Praetorian Guards:
“Several figures stepped forward, draped in crimson, similar to Snoke’s guard, which she and Kylo had defeated together. Rey had a feeling these guards would prove more formidable adversaries.”
-The Rise of Skywalker Novelization
The fact that Rey was able to dispatch these guards more quickly and easily than the Praetorian Guards suggests that she and Kylo grew far more powerful in the year between TLJ and TROS. Kylo also casually subdued one with a gesture.

Furthermore, we also know that the Knights of Ren are comparable to Inquisitors:
“The Knights are force-sensitive, but to a certain degree. In past generations, they would have been perfect stock to become Imperial Inquisitors—if they could be tamed.”
-The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary
Kylo was able to defeat the Knights very easily once he obtained a lightsaber, and since we know that the Knights are comparable to the Inquisitors, this should scale Kylo well above Cal Kestis, Kanan, Ezra, and most likely even Maul and Ahsoka.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 06:30 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

I left out a bunch of his obvious/well known feats from the movies against Rey, and included only the ones that can be used to scale him.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 06:31 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

“Much like his grandfather and uncle before him, Kylo Ren possesses formidable lightsaber skills. He puts his talents in combat to use by annihilating Luke’s jedi students.”

Are we taking this to be Kylo Ren's skills are like Vader's/Luke's? Because as much as I'd like it to be that, I don't read it like that.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 09:12 AM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

It directly compared his lightsaber skills to theirs, so yeah, they’re comparable.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 02:42 PM
Darthadi

The quote doesn't say that their skills are comparable, only that they all have formidable lightsaber skills. This doesn't mean that their skills are equally formidable tho.
To give you an example: Both Yoda and someone like Fisto have formidable skills, but Yoda is still much more powerful and skilled.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 02:53 PM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

It directly compares his skills to Luke and Vader, they’re literally comparable.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on May 21st, 2020 at 03:07 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2020 03:01 PM
xPRIMEx

You wouldn’t compare Kit Fisto to Yoda, or Ventress to Sidious, for example.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 03:03 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

"Much like his grandfather and uncle before him..." does seem to imply some kind of parity, tbh.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on May 21st, 2020 at 03:11 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2020 03:08 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

The only comparisson is this: They are all skilled. Nowhere it is said they are comparable skilled.
Too give you another example:
"Much like Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos, Donalt Trump is one of the richest man in the world."
This is indeed true as all of them are billionaires, but this doesn't mean Trump is as rich as Gates or Bezos. In fact he is not even close

Old Post May 21st, 2020 03:17 PM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Agree to disagree. Like Galan said, “much like” implies parity. In my opinion the quote is implying that Kylo’s lightsaber skills are comparable to Luke’s and Vader’s, otherwise it would not use them as a comparison.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 03:51 PM
xPRIMEx

By the way, I’m not saying Kylo is as good a duelist as Luke or Vader, I’m just saying he’s comparable. For example, Obi Wan and Maul are comparable. Anakin and Dooku are comparable. Kit Fisto and Yoda are not really comparable. There has to be some level of parity.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on May 21st, 2020 at 04:15 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2020 04:12 PM
Darth Thor

Except Luke and Vader are not equals themselves.

In any case, it's only talking about saber "skills". Obi-Wan and Anakin were pretty equally skilled, but they were not equals overall as saber duellists.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 04:15 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

As of RotJ they were. Galan’s posted a quote saying so.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 04:17 PM
xPRIMEx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor

In any case, it's only talking about saber "skills". Obi-Wan and Anakin were pretty equally skilled, but they were not equals overall as saber duellists.

I swear there could be a quote saying “Kylo Ren is the most powerful combatant in the history of Star Wars” and y’all would find a way to deny it

Last edited by xPRIMEx on May 21st, 2020 at 04:24 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2020 04:21 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Yes because his best feats are dealing with Clowns of Ren, and Rey. Too little to judge yet. Even Anoon Bondara was said to be one of the strongest Jedi of the Order but we was weaker than a lot of Jedi

Last edited by Total Warrior on May 21st, 2020 at 05:16 PM

Old Post May 21st, 2020 05:14 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

We should wait for more feats, that’s it

Old Post May 21st, 2020 05:14 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
In canon, Luke's lightsaber skill was equal to Vader's as of RotJ:
"Father and son were now equally strong with the Force, and equally skilled with their lightsabers."
-Jedi vs. Sith
(2016)

Though you could [rightly] argue that Luke's skills had increased significantly by the time he began training Kylo, but that's neither here nor there...

Imo, the VD is clearly using Luke and Vader as a measuring stick/comparison for Kylo's skill, hence "much like". Does that mean Kylo is *as* skilled as they were? No. But I do think the intent is that he is at least in their tier, which would still put him pretty high up the totem pole.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reluctance to accept Kylo as a Vader-level swordsman given his depictions in the films -- but even with that, most supplementary material tends to wank the bejesus out of his power/skill. In short: I think that's just the level Disney just wants him to be at. /shrug

Old Post May 21st, 2020 05:20 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Originally posted by Galan007
In canon, Luke's lightsaber skill was equal to Vader's as of RotJ:
"Father and son were now equally strong with the Force, and equally skilled with their lightsabers."
-Jedi vs. Sith
(2016)

Though you could [rightly] argue that Luke's skills had increased significantly by the time he began training Kylo, but that's neither here nor there...

Imo, the VD is clearly using Luke and Vader as a measuring stick/comparison for Kylo's skill, hence "much like". Does that mean Kylo is *as* skilled as they were? No. But I do think the intent is that he is at least in their tier, which would still put him pretty high up the totem pole.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reluctance to accept Kylo as a Vader-level swordsman given his depictions in the films -- but even with that, most supplementary material tends to wank the bejesus out of his power/skill. In short: I think that's just the level Disney just wants him to be at. /shrug

thumb up

Old Post May 21st, 2020 05:22 PM
ares834

Originally posted by Galan007
"Much like his grandfather and uncle before him..." does seem to imply some kind of parity, tbh.

It doesn't necessarily indicate that at all. Could it? Sure. But it could also mean exactly what it literally says which is that Kylo has formidable lightsaber skills. I see no reason to believe that Kylo is on their level based of this interpretation of this quote alone.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 05:25 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's open to interpretation, sure.

But imo, that quote is describing how "formidable" Kylo's skills are, by drawing a direct comparison with Luke and Vader. That's what "much like" implies to me.

Old Post May 21st, 2020 05:32 PM