KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » ufc/pride

ufc/pride
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (257): « First ... « 255 256 [257]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime
Thinking About You

Masvidal vs Usman is the fight we all wanted but not the way we wanted it. Burns got COVID, and Jorge is replacing him on a week's notice. I can't imagine he'll be at 100%. Seems weird too, as Jorge was the breakout star of welterweight. He definitely could have waited for a more favorable situation than this.

Anything can happen but this doesn't look good.

I'm always watching.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:55 AM

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 12:50 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime
Thinking About You

Edit

I'm always watching.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 12:54 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime
Thinking About You

Jorge/Usman --- Yeah, I already spoke on this. Look, Usman totally was the favorite regardless, but still Jorge visibly stepped off the gas in rounds 2-4, as he wasn't sure of his stamina with only a week's preparation. He was quite effective when he did attack though, and stuffed a surprising amount of takedowns. Just have to wonder if he had a full camp, how would this fight change. Good work on Usman though.

Jose/Petr-- Near the end of his career, Jose remembered he has really good kicks. Unfortunately, he's just a step behind the elite guys now. He looked great while it lasted, but fighters like Petr are the future... and the new champ. I really wish Jose had tried moving up in weight rather than down. A bigger weight cut must be even harder as you age.

Rose/Jessica-- This was was a more advanced version of what we expected from the first fight. Rose being super technical and fluid and mostly neutralizing Jessica's power through movement. Jessica did land a massive shot in round 3 that nearly ended the fight though.

Holloway/Volkanovski-- Fights like this or Stylebender/Whitaker always pain me because I love both guys. It was a championship performance all around. Max utilized his full arsenal of kicks instead of just boxing like before, and got multiple knockdowns. Volkanovski showed his championship mentality by mixing in takedowns once the feinting wasn't yeilding the same dividends. It was a high level example of MMA striking that I'd recommend for anyone. Split decision for Volkanovski, and I'm not mad at the decision.

<3 Max though. Super young and already reached legend status, and greatest featherweight of all time. A rare technician who can also brawl when he wants. I see him still being a huge problem for the division, and easily capable of being champ again. Hawaii just produces badasses.

Paige/Amanda-- Paige needs to hit chicks with those warheads on her chest. thumb up
Shame it ended so early for her, but Amanda is a skilled girl. Considering the armbars we've seen Paige wriggle out of like a noodle, it's impressive Amanda snapped it on so quick.

I'm always watching.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 14th, 2020 at 02:06 AM

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 02:00 AM
Old Man Whirly!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
Jorge/Usman --- Yeah, I already spoke on this. Look, Usman totally was the favorite regardless, but still Jorge visibly stepped off the gas in rounds 2-4, as he wasn't sure of his stamina with only a week's preparation. He was quite effective when he did attack though, and stuffed a surprising amount of takedowns. Just have to wonder if he had a full camp, how would this fight change. Good work on Usman though.

Jose/Petr-- Near the end of his career, Jose remembered he has really good kicks. Unfortunately, he's just a step behind the elite guys now. He looked great while it lasted, but fighters like Petr are the future... and the new champ. I really wish Jose had tried moving up in weight rather than down. A bigger weight cut must be even harder as you age.

Rose/Jessica-- This was was a more advanced version of what we expected from the first fight. Rose being super technical and fluid and mostly neutralizing Jessica's power through movement. Jessica did land a massive shot in round 3 that nearly ended the fight though.

Holloway/Volkanovski-- Fights like this or Stylebender/Whitaker always pain me because I love both guys. It was a championship performance all around. Max utilized his full arsenal of kicks instead of just boxing like before, and got multiple knockdowns. Volkanovski showed his championship mentality by mixing in takedowns once the feinting wasn't yeilding the same dividends. It was a high level example of MMA striking that I'd recommend for anyone. Split decision for Volkanovski, and I'm not mad at the decision.

<3 Max though. Super young and already reached legend status, and greatest featherweight of all time. A rare technician who can also brawl when he wants. I see him still being a huge problem for the division, and easily capable of being champ again. Hawaii just produces badasses.

Paige/Amanda-- Paige needs to hit chicks with those warheads on her chest. thumb up
Shame it ended so early for her, but Amanda is a skilled girl. Considering the armbars we've seen Paige wriggle out of like a noodle, it's impressive Amanda snapped it on so quick.
Still got to watch it. Will watch this weekend.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2020 01:33 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!

Originally posted by Trocity
Nobody more deserving to be in the Hall of Fame than Rush. The definition of a martial artist, always a total professional. A guy who didn't even wrestle in high school throwing around college wrestlers. No outside of the octagon controversies, never popped for PEDs. A clean career.

He is the greatest MMA fighter of all time imo.
i agree, st pierre also comes across as a top bloke. He is a top geezer. For me his fight with Bisping cemented that coming back from retirement and fighting a very good fighter and making him look average. Class, interesting fact if you read Bispings autobiography, he has lots of stories over the years about what a top guy and fighter St pierre is.

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Jul 16th, 2020 at 02:51 PM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2020 02:48 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime
Thinking About You

Warning

Whittaker vs Till was fun. It's another one where I love both guys, so it's hard to pick a side. I love that they were playful leading up to fight. No Conor shenanigans. No Jon Jones controversy. They were just there to test their skill and probably went out partying afterwards.

Darren is an interesting striker. If you break it down, he's a pressure fighter, but he's actually pretty low volume. Some labeled him a counter striker possibly because of that. In fact, he doesn't deal well with when people can put him on the retreat. All his losses were when people came at him.

Which is where Whittaker comes in. Robert has incredibly effective entries, even having success against Stylebender in moments. It was a good fight from both guys, but Whittaker's offense is just really intelligent and he's got a chin for when he does slip up. It was too much to handle in the end. You can even look up the fight stats. Whittaker's strikes were evenly distributed to the head and body/legs. Darren mostly head hunted, and got outlanded in all but round 1.
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Still got to watch it. Will watch this weekend.

Definitely check out Max/Volkanovski at the very least. Petr vs Jose is important too, although depressing as Jose is clearly reaching his end.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
i agree, st pierre also comes across as a top bloke. He is a top geezer. For me his fight with Bisping cemented that coming back from retirement and fighting a very good fighter and making him look average. Class, interesting fact if you read Bispings autobiography, he has lots of stories over the years about what a top guy and fighter St pierre is.

thumb up Bisping is underrated. Before GSP, Bisping's losses were all pre-USADA, and he won his two rematches which were post-USADA. Not accusing anyone, but just sayin' lol. Especially Vitor.

Bisping has become a phenomenal analyst too. He's one of my favorites, along with DC and Cruz. I listen to his podcast some. He had a rep for being a douche during his early-mid career, but Bisping is actually pretty likeable. Doesn't take himself too seriously.

I'm always watching.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 31st, 2020 at 08:43 AM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:32 AM