KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Mace Windu confirmed as the Jedi Order's greatest swordsman

Mace Windu confirmed as the Jedi Order's greatest swordsman
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
qwertyuiop1998
The Vampire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by juggernaut74
What did it say about Ventress?
https://ibb.co/Y3cRqHc

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 12:38 PM
Click here to Send qwertyuiop1998 a Private Message Find more posts by qwertyuiop1998 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by juggernaut74
What did it say about Ventress?
https://i.imgur.com/N1TZp0t.jpg

{edit}
qwerty ninja'd me.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 12:40 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Some Dooku hype please needs to have more than this clown Maul

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 02:29 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by Sheev
When will this myth die? Yoda was never shown disarming Sidious in the movie. And very recent evidence from Galaxy of Adventures actually SHOWS Sidious still holding his saber as he was throwing senate pods at Yoda and STATES he is powerful enough to beat Yoda in a saber duel.

Haters will have a problem with this, but in sabers- Mace>Sidious>Yoda

I don't care what some shitty cartoon says. In the movie Sidious was obviously not holding a lightsaber and was trying to keep his distance from Yoda. Why would he do that if he was capable of defeating him in a duel?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 02:41 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Psychotron
I don't care what some shitty cartoon says.
Your feefees aren't canon. Sorry.

Originally posted by Psychotron
Why would he do that if he was capable of defeating him in a duel?
Same reason he put his sabers away against Maul and clowned him with the force instead.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 05:57 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Not that I disagree with Mace being the strongest in sabers, I like him a lot. But tbh I would take these out of universe statements too seriously. For instance, I remember that in the dark disciple’s announcement by Disney Dooku was described as “The dark side most powerful warrior” or something like that. But I’m pretty sure we all consider Sidious>Dooku. It’s hype to say they’re very strong

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 06:30 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

But it isn't just some random quote meant to hype an upcoming book or whatever. It's a canon statement that cites Mace as the greatest swordsmen of the Jedi.

So as far as saber skill goes, he is above all the other Jedi. Which I dont have a problem with when you consider his saber battle with Sidious. If he legitimately beat Sidious he honestly SHOULD be #1, so this book just cements that.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:16 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Your feefees aren't canon. Sorry.

What about the script? I'd certainly favor that over a cartoon that, shall we say, is a very liberal version of the events that happen in the films. Not that it necessarily contradicts the script either way.

Same reason he put his sabers away against Maul and clowned him with the force instead.

Obviously not. Sidious can't "clown" Yoda with the force as he could Maul. But more importantly, he did so to Maul because he wanted him alive so that he could use him as bait to draw out Talzin as we see in SoD. On the other hand, he wanted Yoda dead.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:57 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by ares834
What about the script? I'd certainly favor that over a cartoon that, shall we say, is a very liberal version of the events that happen in the films. Not that it necessarily contradicts the script either way.
I honestly doubt that the unseen moments of the original script still qualify as canon these days. Just like any comments Lucas made when he was in charge can be (and have been) overridden by Disney. Anything released before the 2014 reboot is dubious.

Regardless GOA is still the most recent telling of the events, so it should still outweigh anything else that didn't happen on screen. and since Sidious was never disarmed on screen, GOA is not contradicted in this case.

Obviously not. Sidious can't "clown" Yoda with the force as he could Maul. But more importantly, he did so to Maul because he wanted him alive so that he could use him as bait to draw out Talzin as we see in SoD. On the other hand, he wanted Yoda dead.
I'm just saying there's precedence for Sidious putting his saber away during an active saber battle and using his force powers instead.

So just because he is clashing sabers with Yoda in one scene, and then throwing pods at him after the next cutscene, it doesn't mean he was disarmed. Especially when GOA still shows him with his saber right before he chucks the pods at Yoda, and also says that Sidious is powerful enough to beat Yoda in a lightsaber duel.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:09 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

And the script was written by Lucas himself. Personally, I'd certainly still consider it canon and I wouldn't consider GOA capable of overwriting it. But, like I said, it doesn't matter because it doesn't contradict the script. Sidious can still be wielding his saber in that scene and disarmed afterwards.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:18 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

And the script was written by Lucas himself. Personally, I'd certainly still consider it canon and I wouldn't consider GOA capable of overwriting it. But, like I said, it doesn't matter because it doesn't contradict the script. Sidious can still be wielding his saber in that scene and disarmed afterwards.
Lucas's word isn't God anymore. If new canon contradicts his word, then new canon is what we go by.

In GOA Sidious still has his saber as he begins lifting the pods to throw at Yoda. In the movie we see Sidious begin to actually throw the pods at Yoda before ultimately defeating him in the same scene. Yoda never had a chance to disarm Sidious once the pod throwing began.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:24 PM
ares834

We don't see him throw the pods only lift them. At which point we see Yoda jump directly to Sidious. The events of the script can easily follow from there. There is no contradiction.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:45 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

These days I do think Palpatine is intended to be a better swordsman than Yoda, if only by a very narrow margin. However, I also understand the reluctance to accept the canonicity of GoA... To a certain point.

That said, I do not believe that Palpatine randomly decided to start hurling Senate pods at Yoda for the lulz -- I think that once he got some breathing room, he wanted to try and keep it that way. Palpatine may have been a [marginally] better swordsman, but the cramped quarters of a damn Senate pod would have undoubtedly favored Yoda's size and style.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

@ Galan what does this canon source say about: Vos , Maul, and Mother Talzin ?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 10:58 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ozz81
@ Galan what does this canon source say about : Vos , Maul, and Mother Talzin ?
Originally posted by Galan007
The only leaked entries provided were for Mace, Yoda, Anakin, and Asajj... And aside from Mace's accolade, there's really nothing worth mentioning from the others.
The guidebook itself isn't slated for release until October. So unless they leak more pages, we won't have any further info until then.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 31st, 2020 at 11:03 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 11:01 PM
ozz81

Originally posted by Galan007
The guidebook itself isn't slated for release until October. So unless they leak more pages, we won't have any further info until then.

Cool I see thanks . Oh yeah another thing I’m not sure about is Mace still alive or ? Reckon they will bring him back etc ?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 11:11 PM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

No.

Pretty much every canon source(inc. SW.com) states that Mace died.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 11:17 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

For what it's worth, "Absolutely everything you need to know" also states that Mace was the Jedi's greatest battlefield warrior.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 11:25 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

ikr? It was so much better when people could pillage random quotes from 30 year old RPG books and the back of cereal boxes to use as "evidence" lol. roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 06:29 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

It's not even whether Yoda is a superior duelist or not, who would want to risk getting into a saber duel with him..? It's way too dangerous and far safer to make space and abuse the force especially when your nature of the force is far more offensive and destructive.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 08:37 AM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote