KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why resisting Nihilus's Force Drain by simply being more Powerful Won't Work...

Why resisting Nihilus's Force Drain by simply being more Powerful Won't Work...
Started by: lDarth Nihilusl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lDarth Nihilusl
Lord of Hunger

Why resisting Nihilus's Force Drain by simply being more Powerful Won't Work...

Hello everyone,

There have been some misconceptions in the past arguing that Nihilus may not be able to Force Drain someone who is more powerful than he is simply due to superiority. In this thread, I will be going through this and showing why this is not true by drawing on 2 cases: The Dark Reaper events and Abeloth’s fight with Luke/Krayt.

1. The Dark Reaper

The Dark Reaper’s events bring in a lot of evidence that show that Force Drain is not something that you can just resist by simply being a powerful Force user and that you need to learn how to resist it. Note the following dialogue:

quote:
Obi Wan: “How was the Reaper defeated?”

Mace Windu: “A fallen Jedi knight named Ulic Qel-Droma taught the Jedi how to withstand the Reaper’s effects. After the war, all information about the Reaper including Ulic’s secrets were lost.”

-Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Video game)

The above mentions that the Jedi had to be taught a certain technique to be able to resist the Reaper’s Force Drain effects and notes that ‘Ulic’s Secrets’ were lost, which includes the technique that he taught to resist the effects.

This is further supported again when Anakin meets Ulic. Note the following:

quote:
Anakin: “Ulic Qel-Droma you defeated the Dark Reaper during the Sith war. Show me how to stop it again.”

Ulic Qel-Droma: “Yes I can teach you to harness the power of the Force around you making you immune to the Dark Reaper’s effects for a short time but this knowledge comes at great risk.”

Anakin: “I am willing to take that risk.”

Ulic Qel-Droma: “The knowledge you seek is very powerful Anakin Skywalker. Use it carefully or it will lead you to the dark side.”

“When Count Dooku learned of the Dark Reaper, he sought to capture it in his war against the Republic. He based his operations on Raxus Prime while he searched for the Force Harvester. Anakin Skywalker, however, discovered the secret to defeating the Dark Reaper from a hologram of Ulic Qel-Droma on Rhen Var.”

-Star Wars The Complete Encyclopedia

Again, the above dialogue and quote make it very clear that Anakin had to be taught a certain technique by Ulic which then allowed him to harness the Force around him in order to resist the Reaper’s effects. Ulic also talks about the ‘knowledge’ that Anakin seeks further showing that Force Drain cannot simply be resisted regardless of how powerful you may be. You need certain knowledge and technique.

Finally, note the following before Anakin confronts the Reaper:

quote:
Obi Wan: “Anakin I am on my way with reinforcements. Wait for me before you try to tackle that thing.”

Anakin: “Don’t bother Master. Anyone who comes near the Reaper will be killed instantly. I am the only one who is immune. Besides, you heard Master Yoda. It’s my destiny.

It is clearly noted that Anakin is the only one who is capable of destroying the Reaper and that anyone else would be killed instantly as Anakin is the only one that is immune. This means that Yoda, Mace and Obi Wan would not be able to stop the Reaper further indicating that resisting Force Drain is something that has to be taught and that simply being a very powerful Force user is irrelevant to being able to resist this type of Drain. Otherwise, Yoda and Mace would have been able to tackle the Reaper. Yet, Anakin is the only one that is capable, despite being inferior to Yoda and Mace, since he is the only one that was taught such knowledge/technique. This makes it very clear that knowledge and technique is required to resist Force Drain.

2. Abeloth’s Fight

The following fight shows that even someone as extremely powerful as Abeloth can be Force Drained, without proper knowledge/technique to resist Force Drain, by someone who is way inferior such as Krayt.

quote:
“Then Luke felt an icy twinge between his shoulder blades. The twinge became a sting, and he began to feel something cold flowing down the center of his back. His first thought was Abeloth, that she had sunk a tentacle into his spine—until the lashing of her tentacles slowed and she began to shudder.

Luke did not understand until an eternity later, when the stranger rolled up on his feet and jerked them all to a halt. The Sith seemed to be growing stronger as Abeloth grew weaker, and there were wisps of dark fume swirling off his shoulders and head. It did not take a Jedi Grand Master to understand that Luke was being betrayed by a Force-draining technique.

“Despite the Sith’s words, the cold stinging inside began to subside, and Luke realized the stranger was not pulling as hard. Abeloth continued to struggle, slipping a pair of tentacles around Luke’s throat and trying to tear herself free. But she was growing weak faster than Luke."

The draining seemed to continue for days; then the stranger threw back his head and screamed in anguish, and it suddenly seemed that only a breath had passed. Shiny black Force energy began to pour from the Sith’s wounds into the lake, spreading outward around them in an oily slick so hot the water began to steam and hiss. Still, the stranger continued to drain Abeloth, and Luke realized that he was not being betrayed—the Sith was suffering as much damage from the attack as was Luke.”

-- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse

The above describes Krayt as using a ‘Force-draining technique’ with Abeloth beginning to get weaker and weaker as her tentacles being to slow down, she starts to shudder and continues struggling as Krayt seems to get stronger through his Force Drain. Krayt continues to Drain Abeloth for what ‘seemed to continue for days’. Krayt, despite being a clear vast inferior to someone like Abeloth, is able to continually Drain Abeloth despite being in anguish. This clearly shows that being powerful does not mean that you would be able to resist Force Drain even to someone who is way inferior in power. Again, this further shows that knowledge and technique is needed.

As a matter of fact, Krayt even begins Force Draining Luke who is vastly superior to him as well:

quote:
“Then she was gone, leaving the stranger and Luke with nothing between them but twenty centimeters of space and the stump of the Sith’s hand, now pointed at Luke’s chest and still drawing Force energy, draining it not from Abeloth now, but directly from Luke.

They stayed like that for an eternity, a void of cold nothingness growing inside Luke as the stranger continued to hang in the air above, draining him. It seemed to Luke that the Sith’s betrayal was premature, that they at least ought to make certain Abeloth was truly dead before they turned to fighting each other … but that was not the way Sith did things.”

-- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse

Luke being a clear superior to Krayt and yet he is still getting Force Drained by him and a ‘void of cold nothingness’ begins to grow inside Luke and it seemed like they stayed ‘for an eternity’. Luke being a vast superior did not somehow allow him to resist Krayt’s Force Drain which further disproves the idea that Force Drain can somehow be resisted by being a powerful or more powerful Force user than the person applying it.

3. The Force Drain

Finally, I will just be showing, without too much detail, that Nihilus, Krayt and the Dark Reaper all Force Drain in a similar fashion; by absorbing and consuming Force Energy.

quote:
(Nihilus)

"Darth Nihilus was known as the Lord of Hunger and was noted for his ability to literally consume the Force energy of his victims, which was used to sustain his own life energies. It was rumored that he could consume the Force energy of an entire planet.

―The Complete Encyclopedia

"As much as one may use the Force to bolster the wills and strengths of others, the reverse is possible, though not often used. Instead of sending one's will through connections in the Force, instead such connections are drawn upon, fed upon, and drained completely."

- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

quote:
(Krayt)

“The Sith seemed to be growing stronger as Abeloth grew weaker, and there were wisps of dark fume swirling off his shoulders and head. It did not take a Jedi Grand Master to understand that Luke was being betrayed by a Force-draining technique.

“Then she was gone, leaving the stranger and Luke with nothing between them but twenty centimeters of space and the stump of the Sith’s hand, now pointed at Luke’s chest and still drawing Force energy, draining it not from Abeloth now, but directly from Luke.

- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse

quote:
(The Dark Reaper)

"The heart of the Dark Reaper was the Force Harvester, a large mechanical sphere that stripped the Force from all living things and stored their life energies until needed by the Dark Reaper"

"The harvester was designed to drain the energy of the Force from any living beings, regardless of whether they were Force-sensitive or not."

- Star Wars The Complete Encyclopedia

"An ancient power source for the Dark Reaper, left over from the Sith War, the harvester absorbs the Force from every living thing in its range."

- Prima's Official Strategy Guide

Notice the underlined parts where Nihilus, Krayt and the Dark Reaper all sap Force Energies from their victims indicating that a similar Force Draining technique is being used in all cases.

All of the above points make it very clear that being a more powerful Force user than the person applying Force Drain is irrelevant to being able to resist such Drain. Knowledge and technique is required to resist such Drain irrespective of superiority.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 12:37 AM
Click here to Send lDarth Nihilusl a Private Message Find more posts by lDarth Nihilusl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I will never understand people's obsession with this retarded character, and wanting him to be the greatest in the mythos.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 01:53 AM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lDarth Nihilusl
Lord of Hunger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Trocity
I will never understand people's obsession with this retarded character, and wanting him to be the greatest in the mythos.

I don't know why you are so triggered over a thread or bothered to comment if you hate the character so much... Anyways ...

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 03:54 AM
Click here to Send lDarth Nihilusl a Private Message Find more posts by lDarth Nihilusl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Nihilus is just an Ooradryl wannabe.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 07:31 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Who can resist Nihlius' drain?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 04:08 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Imagine your iconic badass power being that you kill people by succing their dick through the force lmao

I am darth nihilus! I will SUCK YOU OFF o0o0o0o0o...

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 04:15 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Well that would explain why he has so many obsessed fans.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 04:44 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lDarth Nihilusl
Lord of Hunger

I mean if you have a problem with something I am saying then gladly give a counter-argument to what is being said instead of just typing whining comments. Simply screaming 'obsessed fans' does not invalidate anything that these 'fans' are saying.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2020 06:29 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Good thread and write-up. thumb up

Force Drain (also identified as Drain Force) have similar intrinsic properties irrespective of the wielder.

Force energy = Life energy in Star Wars mythos (philosophical ramblings of Darth Traya can confuse some fans)

The most powerful and lethal expression of Force Drain in recorded history was produced by Vitiate on Ziost. This expression consumed biological matter itself.

Zildrog could surpass all though.

I see parallels with acids in this theme.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Nov 14th, 2020 at 01:38 PM

Old Post Nov 14th, 2020 01:34 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lDarth Nihilusl
Lord of Hunger

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Good thread and write-up. thumb up

Force Drain (also identified as Drain Force) have similar intrinsic properties irrespective of the wielder.

Force energy = Life energy in Star Wars mythos (philosophical ramblings of Darth Traya can confuse some fans)

The most powerful and lethal expression of Force Drain in recorded history was produced by Vitiate on Ziost. This expression consumed biological matter itself.

Zildrog could surpass all though.

I see parallels with acids in this theme.

Thank you friend thumb up.

However, I don't agree that Force energy = Life energy. I think they are different. For example, non-Force sensitives have pretty much no Force energy(very small and hence no significant connect to the Force) and yet they are very alive and well. There is also the normal Life Drain which saps specifically life energies and we have seen it used multiple times through the mythos and yet no one has ever lost their connection to the Force through such Drain (contrary to Kreia who lost her Force powers after Nihilus Force Drained her). Life energy seems to be more internal and within one's body while Force energy seems to be one's connection/energy to the Force itself.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2020 04:40 AM
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by lDarth Nihilusl
Thank you friend thumb up.

However, I don't agree that Force energy = Life energy. I think they are different. For example, non-Force sensitives have pretty much no Force energy(very small and hence no significant connect to the Force) and yet they are very alive and well. There is also the normal Life Drain which saps specifically life energies and we have seen it used multiple times through the mythos and yet no one has ever lost their connection to the Force through such Drain (contrary to Kreia who lost her Force powers after Nihilus Force Drained her). Life energy seems to be more internal and within one's body while Force energy seems to be one's connection/energy to the Force itself.

The Force have two aspects to it - Cosmic and Living.

"The Living Force is generated by the energy of living beings throughout the galaxy. This is the Force at its most immediate and instinctive level. It is this aspect of the Force which allows for many of the impressive abilities that fueled the aura of legend around the Jedi and Sith, and that still excites the galaxy's imagination. The ability to trick minds of other beings, to sense their presence, and to manipulate physical objects all come from the Living Force." - Star Wars: Force and Destiny - Core Rulebook

The aforementioned is possible due to Midichlorians which are a part of the biology of every living being in Star Wars and the source of biological life itself (i.e. cell reproduction). Good explanation in the following link: https://www.starwars.com/news/so-wh...-midi-chlorians

Many living beings have a low Midichlorian count but some have a high Midichlorian count which make them "Force-sensitive." Every living being contributes to The Living Force nevertheless.

"Ultimately, all energy from the Living Force passes to the Cosmic Force. This includes not only the energy of the Living Force at a particular point in time, but the energy of all living beings that have every lived in the galaxy. For this reason, Cosmic Force transcends normal conceptions of time and space. In this way, it also connects all things in the galaxy together: not only what is, but what was and is yet to come." - Star Wars: Force and Destiny - Core Rulebook

Force energy = Life energy and more.

Force Drain is a perversion of the aforementioned in that it makes a living being, or even those who are killed, contribute to the WIELDER instead.

Force Drain is a perversion of the original 'sever Force' technique.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Nov 16th, 2020 at 10:11 AM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2020 10:09 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote