KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Kylo Ren Respect Thread

Kylo Ren Respect Thread
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scizard
I believe the "much like" is referring to the formidable part. Kylo Ren has formidable lightsaber skills, as does Luke, as does Vader.

If that’s what it meant then it would just say he has formidable lightsaber skills. Including Vader and Luke implies that his skills are comparable. Why is this so hard to understand?

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 05:25 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Like I said earlier:

Originally posted by ares834
It doesn't necessarily indicate that at all. Could it? Sure. But it could also mean exactly what it literally says which is that Kylo has formidable lightsaber skills. I see no reason to believe that Kylo is on their level based of this interpretation of this quote alone.

What you are advocating is nothing more than an interpretation of a quote. It's impossible to say either way.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 05:35 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

I think some of you were misunderstanding me here. I wasn’t saying that Kylo is equally as skilled as Luke and Vader. But by including Luke and Vader it does imply that Kylo is around the same level, and it definitely contradicts the idea that Kylo is a trash duelist as many people think. That’s all I’m saying.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 05:37 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

And what I’m saying is that the quote doesn’t necessarily imply that. There are two equally valid interpretations of the quote:
1. Kylo’s saber skills are roughly as formidable as Luke and Vader’s
2. Kylo’s saber skills are formidable
The “much like” doesn’t have to indicate parity between their skills but instead could simply be indicating that all three have formidable saber skills.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 05:44 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Yeah I get what you’re saying, but personally, I wouldn’t make a comparison like that unless there was some level of parity.

For example, Cin Drallig possesses formidable lightsaber skills, but I wouldn’t say “much like Yoda and Anakin, Cin Drallig possesses formidable lightsaber skills.” They’re on a completely different level so it doesn’t make sense to include them in the conversation.

That’s why I think the second option you listed doesn’t really work here.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Dec 7th, 2020 at 05:59 AM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 05:45 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Just checking in to see if anyone has found anything new to add here. rock big grin
Nothing crazy, but The Star Wars Book lists Psychometry as one of Kylo's abilities:
https://ibb.co/cwz0Q6L

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 7th, 2020 at 08:15 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 08:11 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

Originally posted by Galan007
Imo, the VD is clearly using Luke and Vader as a measuring stick/comparison for Kylo's skill, hence "much like". Does that mean Kylo is *as* skilled as they were? No. But I do think the intent is that he is at least in their tier, which would still put him pretty high up the totem pole.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reluctance to accept Kylo as a Vader-level swordsman given his depictions in the films -- but even with that, most supplementary material tends to wank the bejesus out of his power/skill. In short: I think that's just the level Disney just wants him to be at. /shrug

This

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 08:37 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Gramatically it reads like Kylo's skills are formidable like Anakin and Luke who's skills are also formidable. It's likely just using Anakin and Luke as examples of formidable because they're well known and related to Kylo.

And I wouldn't say Cin Drallig has formidable skills because he gets stomped by Anakin. I'd say formidable puts him in the tier where he's not gonna have any problems against inquisitors, gungans etc.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 01:20 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

That’s the thing though, what are formidable lightsaber skills? Without including Luke and Vader it wouldn’t really mean anything. But like Galan007 said, it seems to use Luke and Vader as a measuring stick to establish what formidable lightsaber skills are, indicating some level of parity between the three.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 07:11 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

It's literally just saying they have formidable skills as well. It doesn't need to define what formidable skills there are. It's too assuming to suggest that Kylo is on the same tier as Luke and Anakin, especially when the story group have a different opinion on who's where in terms of power scaling.

If you want to assume that this puts him on the same tier as Luke and Anakin that's for you to decide but that's not what the statement is saying. I mean I'd love for it to state that Kylo was on the tier of Luke and Anakin, but it just doesn't say that.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 07:46 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

The quote is open to interpretation so you’re entitled to you’re opinion. I realize what the quote literally says, but it sounds like it’s indicating some parity between the three giving us a rough estimate of where Kylo should be placed at as a duelist. Along with all of Disney’s other Kylo wank it just seems like that’s the level that he is meant to be at.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 08:34 PM
xPRIMEx

By saying they all possess formidable skills, that in itself indicates some level of parity. Does it mean they are all equally skilled? Of course not, that’s not the point I’ve been trying to make. It seems like you all think that’s what I’m trying to say. But you wouldn’t say that unless Kylo was around the same level.

That’s all I have to say, I feel like I’m beating a dead horse right now.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Dec 9th, 2020 at 09:01 PM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 08:54 PM
Scizard

https://image.prntscr.com/image/V06...f_Z2oaATPtw.png

Kylo Ren described as having 'too much' power.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2021 02:21 AM
xPRIMEx

Nice, thanks thumb up The link doesn’t work though. What’s the source and what exactly does it say?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 02:55 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Rebel95
The quote is open to interpretation so you’re entitled to you’re opinion. I realize what the quote literally says, but it sounds like it’s indicating some parity between the three giving us a rough estimate of where Kylo should be placed at as a duelist. Along with all of Disney’s other Kylo wank it just seems like that’s the level that he is meant to be at.

I disagree as the movies went out of their way to state Kylo is no Vader.

In any case as I have already mentioned earlier in the thread lightsaber skills =/= lightsaber prowess, as force augmentation is a huge factor in Saber combat.

So not only is the quote open to interpretation, but even if we take it favourably as Kylos saber skills being = to ROTJ Luke and Vader, that still wouldnt be enough to make him their equal in Saber combat.

The Luke quote is more convincing as that says Luke was Vaders equal in both Saber skills and the Force.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 03:54 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Been meaning to ask but where is this Force augment relating to saber combat coming from?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 03:58 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Been meaning to ask but where is this Force augment relating to saber combat coming from?

Are they not related ?

I mean when Sidious saber blitzed the 3 Council members was that mostly down to skill?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 05:16 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

“Lightsaber skills” seems pretty self explanatory. Besides it’s not like Kylo doesn’t have the power to augment himself.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 06:43 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Are they not related ?

I mean when Sidious saber blitzed the 3 Council members was that mostly down to skill?

I mean they can be sure, but is in 100% all the time? Is what I’m asking.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 06:50 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
“Lightsaber skills” seems pretty self explanatory. Besides it’s not like Kylo doesn’t have the power to augment himself.

He would have to have parity in the Force as well to augment himself to their level, which we cant just assume.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2021 10:45 PM