KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Kylo Ren Respect Thread

Kylo Ren Respect Thread
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 8 9 [10]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darthadi
My interpretation is that Luke being the son of the chosen one (so a Skywalker) had enormous potential and can became what his father was meant to be in the sense that he can surpass the emperor which suit Vader aparently can't. The true potential of his bloodline in Luke's case might not mean Anakin level, but still more than enough for Sidious.

Having Skywalker potential is a way to say enormous potential since even diluted by a generation or two, the potential would still be greater than pretty much anyone else (maybe with some odd exceptions like Rey because of the dyad)
Palpatine's comment heavily implies that Luke's potential was on par with Anakin's in the context of that scene, imo. He doesn't just specify that Luke(in particular) could surpass him or w/e... He mentions that Luke could reach the true potential of his entire bloodline.

To me, "bloodline" is just a blanket term for "Skywalkers." So the "true potential" of the Skywalker bloodline means Anakin by proxy, imo... Same with Legends, where GL commented that Luke had the potential to become what Anakin could have been.

I take the statement about Kylo being the "heir to the potential of the Skywalker line" the same basic way, tbh. /shrug

Rey's unprecedented potential quote is from the insider. Matt Martin said that the insiders are not reviewed by the story group and are editorial like the blog section on Starwars.com. So the quote doesn't have much canon value.
Martin wasn't even aware of several major revelations from the RoS novelization after it was released. Suffice to say, I don't exactly trust his Tweets these days... Seems like the guy often doesn't really know wtf is happening.

You are right that Luke's quote likely refers to potential, but it's unclear if he refers to everyone he ever met or only his students (the context was him teaching Rey), and he never met Anakin pre Mustafar anyway. ROTJ Luke is also not the most masterful force user so i don't know how good he was at sensing raw power back then.

This is possibly proof of Vader losing potential after Mustafar btw.
Don't get me wrong, power and potential are typically treated as two different things(Anakin, for example, had the *potential* to become vastly more *powerful* than he was.)

But in some cases(like with Luke's comments about Rey and Kylo in TLJ), latent/raw power also implies massive potential that had evidently surpassed what Luke had previously encountered.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 1st, 2021 at 08:51 PM

Old Post Feb 1st, 2021 08:38 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Obviously I'm not saying that my interpretation is the only valid one.
I'm just inclined towards it because of the Mortis stuff.
Your interpretation is certainly valid. thumb up

Just giving my two cents is all.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2021 08:39 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darthadi

I feel we both presented our opinions well enough. I don't think there is a point continuing this. Besides, this is still a Kylo Ren respect thread and we derailed it enough.

Just one thing about Martin. While he can be clueless about some new story beats (he said he didn't work on the movie/novel) he should still be reliable about "is this canon?" type of question since it is his job and his area of expertise.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2021 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Darthadi a Private Message Find more posts by Darthadi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Fair enough. thumb up

And sorry about the derail, Prime.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2021 08:52 PM
xPRIMEx

All good!

Old Post Feb 1st, 2021 09:26 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 12:46 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 12:42 AM
Zenwolf

Galan you might wanna reword that, cause he himself didn't wipe out the world and in all honesty I don't think the world was even harmed, it's just the strange artwork, I don't really see any reason why he would have the world wiped out and leave his men to die. In fact from the first panel, it looks like he headed to that one place down in the right, not that purple planet, cause they look exactly identical in color scheme.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 12:49 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 12:46 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The planet was shown a few different times before that, and it was perfectly normal/intact:
(please log in to view the image)

Cut to the final page, and the world is literally on fire:

We weren't shown *how* it happened, but it definitely happened.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 12:52 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
The planet was shown a few different times before that, and it was perfectly normal/intact:

Cut to the final page, and the world is literally on fire:

We weren't shown *how* it happened, but it definitely happened.

Given that the planet changes color twice, how do you know that it's even on fire there and it's not just another color change?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:02 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Because in the first two panels it's not on fire, but in the last panel it is?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:10 AM
xPRIMEx

It’s pretty clear that he wiped out the planet:

“I wonder if there will be anyone left to follow”

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 03:33 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
Because in the first two panels it's not on fire, but in the last panel it is?

Which you're sure that's fire? Because from the looks of it, the ship is already leaving while the planet was on fire from the panel.

I'm just skeptical on this as being something of razing a planet because the way it's presented is just completely strange.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 03:45 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 03:43 AM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Doesn’t make any sense but whatever

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 07:58 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
qwertyuiop1998
The Vampire

Yeah, The planet was definitely wiped out somehow. Though the entire scene doesnt make much sense

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 09:20 AM
Click here to Send qwertyuiop1998 a Private Message Find more posts by qwertyuiop1998 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Which you're sure that's fire? Because from the looks of it, the ship is already leaving while the planet was on fire from the panel.

I'm just skeptical on this as being something of razing a planet because the way it's presented is just completely strange.
It's very strange, and I can't explain it.

But yeah, I'd say the planet is definitely on fire.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 03:02 PM
xPRIMEx

What comic is that from?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 04:21 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

SW Adventures #2.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:04 PM
xPRIMEx

The new “Skywalker: A Family at War” book states “Ben, who took after Anakin Skywalker in his powerful force abilities”

Old Post Apr 17th, 2021 04:32 PM
xPRIMEx

Also in the article “Like Grandfather, like Grandson” on the official Star Wars website, the author (a jr creative executive) compares Kylo to Vader and says that their lightsaber skills are “equally as terrifying” as their force powers.
https://www.starwars.com/news/darth...father-grandson

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 08:10 PM