KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Did Obi Wan Stop Himself From Killing Anakin?

Did Obi Wan Stop Himself From Killing Anakin?
Started by: king_arthur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
king_arthur

Did Obi Wan Stop Himself From Killing Anakin?

Obi Wan said it himself, he said he couldn't kill Anakin because he was like a brother to him. Yoda told him he must do it, the sith must be destroyed. Obi Wan never did what Yoda told him to do, he left Anakin for dead, but never destroyed him, if anything he left him more angry than ever before. So did Obi Wan hold back from killing Anakin because he just couldn't kill his "brother"?

Last edited by king_arthur on Jun 3rd, 2005 at 10:03 AM

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 09:50 AM
Click here to Send king_arthur a Private Message Find more posts by king_arthur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

From the screenplay:

OBI-WAN looks in horror as ANAKIN becomes engulfed in flames. OBI-WAN can't watch him as he struggles to climb the embankment, covered in flames.
He runs back to Padme's ship as ANAKIN drops, smoldering, near the top of the lava pit.

I believe Obi-Wan thought Anakin was as good as dead. And if Yoda had done his job... he would be.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 09:54 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

Obiwan couldn't bring himself to kill Anakin, even though he was consumed by Darth Vader. Obiwan knew he should have, but he couldn't

The fate of the galaxy lies with the Empire.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 09:57 AM
Click here to Send Robin Darkside a Private Message Find more posts by Robin Darkside Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bubbapilot
Smuggler

I just finished reading the novel, and while I know it is not entirely canon, it does a nice job of explaining somethings that the movie didn't.

Below his feet, Darth Vader burst into flame.
"I hate you," he screamed.
Obi-Wan looked down. It would be a mercy to kill him.
He was not feeling merciful.
He was feeling calm, and clear, and he knew that to climb down to that black beach might cost him more time than he had.
Another Sith Lord approached.
In the end, there was only one choice. It was a choice he had made many years before, when he had passed his trials of Jedi Knighthood, and sworn himself to the Jedi forever. In the end, he was still Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he was still a Jedi, and he would not murder a helpless man.
He would leave it to the will of the Force.
He turned and walked away.

The book then goes on to say that he started running because if he hurried he could honor the memory of Anakin and their friendship by saving Padme.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 01:34 PM
Click here to Send Bubbapilot a Private Message Find more posts by Bubbapilot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SS_181st_Snow
Flyer of the Wraith.

I'd'a walked down and sliced him in half again, to make sure he's dead. Remember, a Jedi is NEVER helpless. Actually, if I were Anakin, when I'd've jumped to the high ground, the first thing I woulda thought about was "Tuck-And-Roll".

HEIL BARON VON RICHTHOFEN! HEIL THE LUFTWAFFE!

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 01:37 PM
Click here to Send SS_181st_Snow a Private Message Find more posts by SS_181st_Snow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bubbapilot
I just finished reading the novel, and while I know it is not entirely canon, it does a nice job of explaining somethings that the movie didn't.

as long as the book doesn't contradict the movie, it's canon

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 05:28 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ccoo

In the book, it read like a combination of showing mercy and thinking Anakin would die on his own, and he definitely heard Palpatines ship approaching. Obiwan would not have the same mistake happen with Luke, remember that is why he doesn't tell Luke that it is his dad, it would be too emotional.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 07:07 PM
Click here to Send ccoo a Private Message Find more posts by ccoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SS_181st_Snow
Flyer of the Wraith.

True. Luke was but a whiney little prick-farmer until he became a Jedi.

HEIL BARON VON RICHTHOFEN! HEIL THE LUFTWAFFE!

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2005 07:11 PM
Click here to Send SS_181st_Snow a Private Message Find more posts by SS_181st_Snow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vanquish

Ya, the problem is, Obi wan is maybe the most Pure Jedi besides Yoda. There is no way a real Jedi could walk down to him and finish him off. Jedi's that aren't so pure, like Anakin or Windu or something probably could have done it easy. But Obi wan didn't have it in him. He beat Anakin, but he didn't kill him. At that point, there was nothing he could do. The code, that obi wan follows to the letter, will not allow him to finish the job.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 05:02 AM
Click here to Send Vanquish a Private Message Find more posts by Vanquish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
green dude

Obi-wan let his feeling get into this one but in the end they learn Qui-gon Jnn has learned the true way of the force that you cannot ignor fellings and rules you must have both to keep balance. big grin

But Obi-wan couldn't Anikan was down hopeless and defenceless it would be wrong and no point of killing someone when their down theres no honour in that. sad

But Obi-wan like all us humans have feelings we cling to people possesions we start to hate or like them thats what makes us human well one thing anyway. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 05:41 AM
Click here to Send green dude a Private Message Find more posts by green dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Malentous
Sith Lord

Originally posted by Tulak Hord
True. Luke was but a whiney little prick-farmer until he became a Jedi.

yea i agree whit that 1 i just dont get why luke could be a supirior Jedi and being a full grown man (wel at least over 18 years) , and anikan being a boy and yet being to old to get a training , why would they ever train luke .... o yea "hes the choosen 1" ugh/

nothing realy against that Tulak Hord , but that just made me think about this smile so no worries.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 06:08 PM
Click here to Send Darth Malentous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Malentous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Is it possible that Obi Wan knew he was still the chosen one, so felt maybe he would still fulfill his destiny, so maybe felt he should leave his death to the will of the force?

Also, it's against the Jedi code to kill an armed man, though I think that moment should have been an exception.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2015 12:36 AM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Well that was pointless.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2015 03:36 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hehehe, thanks for your contribution, Lucien. wink

Old Post Jan 30th, 2015 08:30 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Originally posted by Bubbapilot

Below his feet, Darth Vader burst into flame.
"I hate you," he screamed.
Obi-Wan looked down. It would be a mercy to kill him.
He was not feeling merciful.
He was feeling calm, and clear, and he knew that to climb down to that black beach might cost him more time than he had.
Another Sith Lord approached.
In the end, there was only one choice. It was a choice he had made many years before, when he had passed his trials of Jedi Knighthood, and sworn himself to the Jedi forever. In the end, he was still Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he was still a Jedi, and he would not murder a helpless man.
He would leave it to the will of the Force.
He turned and walked away.

And THAT little expository is why the book is so much better than the movie. In my opinion anyway.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2015 06:35 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

In the book you have quite a clear idea what's going on. In the movie... not so much.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2015 07:25 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Indeed

Old Post Feb 8th, 2015 10:36 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by ~JP~
And THAT little expository is why the book is so much better than the movie. In my opinion anyway.

While I do like the film, the book is soooooooo much better!! We understand everything that's going on in Anakin's head in the book. It's much more deep & meaningful.
It annoys me when people say "the book is just the same as the film written", because it is so much more than that!

BTW, while on topic, does anyone know if the ROTS book is canon to the Star Wars universe? I really hp it is! Is it canon?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2015 09:01 PM
Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yes, novelisations of the films are canon.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2015 07:22 AM
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by queeq
Yes, novelisations of the films are canon.

Awesome! I'm so glad!

Old Post Feb 9th, 2015 09:30 AM