KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Star Wars...which movie should I watch first?

Star Wars...which movie should I watch first?
Started by: Spartaz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spartaz

Star Wars...which movie should I watch first?

Hi guys!

I decided to watch the Star Wars saga and see what's all the fuss about. Can anyone recommend me which movie should I watch first? I read the movie from 1977 is actually chapter 4?!? and the movie from 1999 is chapter 1?!?

Explaination and recommendation would be appreciated!

-Stranger on the net, Spartaz

Last edited by Spartaz on Jun 13th, 2005 at 09:06 PM

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 08:56 PM
Click here to Send Spartaz a Private Message Find more posts by Spartaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

episode 4-- start with the older ones first - then watch the new ones...

you'll love all the star wars movies happy

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 08:57 PM
Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bubbapilot
Smuggler

I agree, while the Prequel Trilogy may be more advanced cinamatically, the Original Trilogy sets the story better.

Plus you'll go from new digital quality movies to not quite as good quality if you go in order.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 09:07 PM
Click here to Send Bubbapilot a Private Message Find more posts by Bubbapilot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartaz

So I should go by year and not by episode? gotcha!

Thanks!

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 09:09 PM
Click here to Send Spartaz a Private Message Find more posts by Spartaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nimbus006
Accuser

i agree

By: Juk

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 09:24 PM
Click here to Send nimbus006 a Private Message Find more posts by nimbus006 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Go with the original trilogy first. The prequel trilogy just ruins whatever surprises the original trilogy has.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 12:59 AM
Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Solo

Hello, OT by far

"Everything that has a begining....."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 05:17 AM
Find more posts by Sith Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

make sure you come back and tell us all what you thought of the saga yes

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 12:58 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gentmax

I agree with everyone.
Here is my reasoning:
If you start with Episode I not knowing anything at all about the saga, I don't think you will maintain the interest to continue on.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 01:08 PM
Click here to Send gentmax a Private Message Find more posts by gentmax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mossman

Personally, if I had the chance, I'd do it the same way all over again exactly the same - 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3.

But I'd be interested to see how someone who watched the films 1-6 for the first time felt about the saga.
Maybe this chap should give it a whirl.
Be our guinea pig.

smile

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 02:55 PM
Click here to Send mossman a Private Message Find more posts by mossman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Travizzle
Step Off

Here's how it should go: episode 4, episode 5, episode 6, episode 1, episode 2, then episode 3.

Every feel like being evil?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 03:51 PM
Click here to Send Darth Travizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Travizzle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

no, episode 2, clone wars, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1 because only ep 1 ends with no cliffhanger as if it's a prequal to all of them about how Anikin heard about being a jedi.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 04:34 PM
Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Hey lets watch them: 6,5,4,3,2,1 Too!!! C'Mon.... its like reading a book from the middle to the end, then the begining to the middle.... this poor chap is going to ruin his first go at star wars by ruining the ending by the end of the second movie? lame Happy Dance

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 04:35 PM
Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ones
Death Eater

i saw it in this order: 1,4,5,6,2,3

Harry Potter and the Triwizard Cup Spider-man 3

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 09:51 PM
Click here to Send The Ones a Private Message Find more posts by The Ones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I saw them 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. Which I still think is the best way to watch them...

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 09:53 PM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sicky666
IA!

Re: Star Wars...which movie should I watch first?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Spartaz
Hi guys!

I decided to watch the Star Wars saga and see what's all the fuss about. Can anyone recommend me which movie should I watch first? I read the movie from 1977 is actually chapter 4?!? and the movie from 1999 is chapter 1?!?

Explaination and recommendation would be appreciated!

-Stranger on the net, Spartaz

Well you should start with thinking on your own, it is easy to ask and an answer will be given. But then you will do as others think, I think you just should make your own decision.

being nothing at all; divinity in peace.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 10:49 PM
Click here to Send Sicky666 a Private Message Find more posts by Sicky666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whill Mindspin

1 2 3 4 5 6

I'm an old school fan who actually saw the original trilogy in the theater as they each came out 77 - 83. I have a radical opinion: newcomers should watch them in chronological order. A friend of mine recently borrowed my DVDs. She and her 5 kids had never seen any Star Wars films. They watched Eps 1 & 2, went to the theater to watch 3, then watched the classic trilogy, all in the space of a week. They all loved the entire saga experienced in the order that it happened.

What was my rational? Well, the surprises of Ep 5 were great in 1980, but nowadays you have to be stranded on a deserted island to not already know what Yoda looks like and who Luke's father is, even if you've never seen the movies. When you watch the prequel trilogy first, you have the surprise of finding out who Darth Sidious is - he really is a phantom menace to the viewer until Ep 3. I knew who Darth Sidious was when I watched Ep 1, but I think the prequel trilogy would have been more enjoyable if I didn't find out who Darth Sidious was until Ep 3.

And I would have liked to have been surprised by what happens to Anakin in Ep 3, but I knew all along. And watching them in order makes Luke's final confrontation with the Sith Lords in Ep 6 more edge-of-your-seat. Will Luke follow the same path as his father? It's more tense when you have watched Eps 1-5 in order before the climax of the entire saga.

Last edited by Whill Mindspin on Jun 19th, 2005 at 02:30 AM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 02:24 AM
Click here to Send Whill Mindspin a Private Message Find more posts by Whill Mindspin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CrazyOcelot

Hi,
If you do happen to see them in a chronological order and happen to be a bit odd like me, don't leave a gap between 3rd and 4th as I am being forced to do - I keep crying about the 3rd damn movie

Old Post Jun 20th, 2005 05:41 PM
Click here to Send CrazyOcelot a Private Message Find more posts by CrazyOcelot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ccoo

I would definitely watch them 4,5,6,1,2,3. They were made in that order, so what will happen is you'll get all the suprises in 4,5,6. Then when you watch 1,2,3, it will answer certain questions that were left unexplained in the originals. I always feel you should watch anything the way they were made, if Lucas would have made 1,2,3,4,5,6, then I'd probably say watch it in that order. Plus 4,5,6 are way better, so you won't say after watching Episode I, "what is all the fuss about?"

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 03:25 PM
Click here to Send ccoo a Private Message Find more posts by ccoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ClockWorkOrange

The viewing of the films I am most partial to would be watching Episode lV, Episode V, then you watch Episodes l, l, and lll then Vl. I think it would be the most suiting because you learn at the end of The Empire Strikes Back that Darth Vader is infact Luke's father and Leia his sister, then you go back and learn about Anakin and how he was seduced by the dark side. If you watch it in chronological order from l, ll, lll, lV, V, Vl then it just spoils four five and six because you already know who his father is at that point and, that Leia is his sister so it honestly ruins the experience. If you watch it by the release date then the big finale is seen halfway through your marathon and you end up with a somewhat dissatisfactory about the whole thing which puts you in a pretty down mood. And which would you raher have it end with the death of Padme Amidala and Anakin transformed completely into Darth Vader or how Luke and Vader have a lightsaber duel in which Luke refuses to kill him and then after Palpatine attacks him with lightning Darth Vader, showing that there is still some good in him, saves Luke and kills Palpatine and then later dies after asking Luke to take off his mask so he can gaze upon him with his own eyes and at the end rebels proudly celebrate as peace is now restored to the force and Luke cremates his father and he then sees the spirits of his beloved watch over him? They both sound quite good but I'd rather watch the second one. Well there you have it, if watching this wonderous saga you should then watch it by this order l, ll, lll, lV, V, Vl.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2012 02:18 AM
Click here to Send ClockWorkOrange a Private Message Find more posts by ClockWorkOrange Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote