KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Rise To Power

Rise To Power
Started by: JediRobin23

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Yup

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2006 08:26 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lord_radar1
A Padawan Learner

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Here, put it this way, if people are so afraid, due to terrorism, nuclear war, or even dictators in other countries, they will stop at nothing to protect their own safety. If things were to come to a point, where the lives of their families are in danger, and things can no longer be settled democratically, and extreme action is needed, then all power will go to one decision maker. Therefore the people will support this 'Emperor' to take action in order for their survival.

Hitlers rise to power was different, because his propaganda and strong rhetoric, was based on the hatred of Jews, who were the ones trying to make people all equal, and were accused of trying to take over. Hitler gained support by the people this way. It does have alot of similarities, but Palpatine was only fighting against a rebellion, while hitler was destroying races and those who didn't seem equal to him. Also, hitler never became ruler of the world to even have a rebellion.

Ok, first of all the lives of our families are already being put in danger.
- WTC twice.
- OKlahoma City
- Flight 93
- John Walker Lindh
- The bombings in Europe
- Numerous attacks that have been stopped before they happened.

Second, things could never have been solved democratically, it would take both sides of the conflict being democratic by nature to do that. Besides if they could have been solved that way we wouldn't be in Iraq now.

Third, if you think the President makes his decisions solely based on what he thinks is right you have a skewed and naive perspective. The President as well as the leaders of other Major Foreign Democracies make decisions based on what the representatives from each area support, talks to advisors, talks to there spouses, maybe even there dogs. Fact of the matter is they don't make the decision alone and in fact much of the power is in the hands of the Houses. Congress has to approve a declaration of war.

In other words, no one will ever rise to the level of power that Palps, Hitler, or Hussein had. The right to bare arms won't allow it. The free people of the U.S. would rebel against it too strongly.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 10:33 PM
Click here to Send lord_radar1 a Private Message Find more posts by lord_radar1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

So all you need is a 2/3 majority to change the constitution where Americans are NOT allowed to bear arms and a dictatorship is in amaking...

Old Post Sep 28th, 2006 06:40 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lord_radar1
A Padawan Learner

There are too many failsafe's written into our laws to have a single individual rise to power that way it's just not going to happen. Besides the real power lies in the people behind the scenes, so who ever is holding office is just a talking head for the most part. It's the party in the majority that holds the power.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2006 10:22 PM
Click here to Send lord_radar1 a Private Message Find more posts by lord_radar1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Any society will fall one day or another... even all those so-called fail-safe devices. Democracy is just another system for power to perpuate itself in one form or another. And in the end power will fail.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 10:34 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Thats rather pessimistic.

Is it better to have power and fail or to be powerless and do nothing.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 11:49 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

True. But power attracts the strangest of men...

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 11:43 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

laughing out loud would that be everyone?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 02:47 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Uh no...

Old Post Oct 1st, 2006 11:33 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Old Post Oct 1st, 2006 06:46 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Originally posted by Tangible God
A friend of mine once came up with a theory that the government is holding back the use of the electric car in order to become rich from the oil companies. While I'd disagree with such secrecy, if a government as unpopular as the Bush administration say, was found out to be doing such a thing, I can't help but see a violent revolution emerging.

The electric car was held back for business reasons. Its like how the big dog oil company can control the price of a barrel of oil by simply just playing with the tap. Should I open the tap and sell it at the global market price, or should I limit my supply to keep prices up. Its all artificial markets and thats how your american economy works. Gee, I wonder Why they invaded Iraq. If Saddam threatends to sell crude oil at a cheaper price, then he can f*ck over your whole economy. There is so much money invested in this energy thing. People in general protect their investments, and tend to go to war and kill the little guy so they can continue to be secure. When it comes to the big bucks, theres no f*cking around (billions). So, in that respect, you can justify your actions and be able to sleep at night (<--Sarcasm). Its about business, and succesful companies gotta be crooked to be successful companies.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 08:44 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Originally posted by lord_radar1
Ok, first of all the lives of our families are already being put in danger.
- WTC twice.
- OKlahoma City
- Flight 93
- John Walker Lindh
- The bombings in Europe
- Numerous attacks that have been stopped before they happened.

Second, things could never have been solved democratically, it would take both sides of the conflict being democratic by nature to do that. Besides if they could have been solved that way we wouldn't be in Iraq now.

Third, if you think the President makes his decisions solely based on what he thinks is right you have a skewed and naive perspective. The President as well as the leaders of other Major Foreign Democracies make decisions based on what the representatives from each area support, talks to advisors, talks to there spouses, maybe even there dogs. Fact of the matter is they don't make the decision alone and in fact much of the power is in the hands of the Houses. Congress has to approve a declaration of war.

In other words, no one will ever rise to the level of power that Palps, Hitler, or Hussein had. The right to bare arms won't allow it. The free people of the U.S. would rebel against it too strongly.

The president can make a decision based on the information that he receives. But, who is providing him with this information? The priority is the deciding factor in how we progress. To keep away from the philosopy lesson, a president can also be a puppet in a way, but what makes him different is he has the authority, but there are contributing factors that influence his decison making.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2006 09:13 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by JediRobin23
The electric car was held back for business reasons. Its like how the big dog oil company can control the price of a barrel of oil by simply just playing with the tap. Should I open the tap and sell it at the global market price, or should I limit my supply to keep prices up. Its all artificial markets and thats how your american economy works. Gee, I wonder Why they invaded Iraq. If Saddam threatends to sell crude oil at a cheaper price, then he can f*ck over your whole economy. There is so much money invested in this energy thing. People in general protect their investments, and tend to go to war and kill the little guy so they can continue to be secure. When it comes to the big bucks, theres no f*cking around (billions). So, in that respect, you can justify your actions and be able to sleep at night (<--Sarcasm). Its about business, and succesful companies gotta be crooked to be successful companies.
I'm also Canadian.

And exactly. That's how corporate America functions. I can't help but view it that the Capitalist West has become so morally corrupt that we'll ruin our environment and our own country for the sake of profits. It's a sickening thought, I pray I'm deluded.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2006 05:28 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Bit off topic folks.... this shoudl go to the political forum...

Old Post Oct 30th, 2006 12:52 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

We don't have a political forum.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2006 02:31 PM
queeq
Chaos

Oh... it's been removed. We used to have one, mods usually avoided it.
Well, then it should be in the GDF.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2006 04:20 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Ok.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2006 10:07 PM
queeq
Chaos

The politics have lessened.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2006 10:24 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

I guess theres no politics in star wars??

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 09:07 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

You guess wrong.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 09:17 PM