KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S MATRIX GAME: 'DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE'- The Storyline and the Philosophy Choice

USH'S MATRIX GAME: 'DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE'- The Storyline and the Philosophy Choice
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
General Zink
Bane

Don't forget that BB is a vet too, and he's on the Non-Philosiphy thing.

I'm fine with where I am.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 05:59 AM
General Zink is currently offline Click here to Send General Zink a Private Message Find more posts by General Zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

lol coeus we dont have any gunners left tho

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 09:33 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yeah, so long as each Path has ONE Veteran we are ok.

And it might work better with the dedicated gunners going combat. Phil has people who CAN shoot; that'll do.

And that's right, Jedi... (goes to get walking stick to poke people with)

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 12:53 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Castor
Castor, Natural

Man, ive been gone for a few days and everythign takles off...sorry guys, between work and wrestling, ive been swamped. Ill try to post everyday at school tho....

Philosophy All the Way.....d3f.

"Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to."

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 04:05 PM
Castor is currently offline Click here to Send Castor a Private Message Find more posts by Castor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

NP, Vince, thanks for making the effort!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2003 04:08 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Yup!, I was thinking about switching to philo but i looked at the ppl playing so ill stay right where i am
as we all can see in the CTF mission someone is gonna hafta cover my ass cuz when left alone i get worked!!

Old Post Nov 19th, 2003 12:05 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Zink
Bane

Muahahahahaha! stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 19th, 2003 06:11 AM
General Zink is currently offline Click here to Send General Zink a Private Message Find more posts by General Zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, whilst I am talking about the storyline...

Some elements of it may appear simiular to the set-up in Reloaded and Revolutions. Not the main plot- that would be silly- but elements of it.

In its defence, the plot was written pre-Reloaded, considerably so! So this is more coincidence than anything else- or like-minded thinking perhaps? Regardless, when Reloaded came out only very minor adjustments were needed and much of the plot fitted in very well indeed- my brother was most pleased!

Anyway, I just wanted people to bear it in mind. If you think it was a plot based on what is seen in Reloaded, that's an illusion! It is based on the original film with slight adjustments post-Reloaded.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 20th, 2003 01:27 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

We now have:

Burn- Non-philosophy
Ares- Non-philosophy
Hephaestus- Philosophy
Mors- Non-philosophy
Rade- Philosophy
Virus- Philosophy (preferred but not essential)
Coeus- Philosophy
Cloud- Non-philosophy
Fire- Philosophy
Castor- Philosophy
Celsius- Philosophy

7-4 now... Philosophy plotline is somewhat at the limit, I think!

BtVS

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2003 02:26 PM
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Geez! What's wrong with Combat?

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2003 04:08 PM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'd be interested to know motives, actually. Do people think Combat will be less interesting? I would hope it will not be so. Actually, a 6/5 split would work nicely if anyone else feels like changing...

BtVS

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 02:04 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, folks, as you are about to engage with the Storyline, here are some final points!

1. Length.

This storyline for the Matrix is considerably smaller than for my other games. Star Wars was a set of five Episodes each meant to be as 'long', plot wise, as one of the films- and some considerably over-ran (and would have been cut to buggery by GL...). My LOTR game is based on actual Tolkien plots that could technically go on forever, because that man didn't half waffle on in text...

This game, however, is on a far more Matrix scale. The main plotline is probably about the same length as Reloaded/Revolutions. I am not saying it is actively short- because fighting can take a while, as you have seen- but... well.. let me put it like this...

With the slow start due to the faltering nature of the RP area and less pisters taken into account, my Star Wars game has lasted two years (actually been going about 31 months) and it now appraoching the end, at which point I will ask people if they want a new storyline, because more can be done if they want.

I would not be at all surprised if the Matrix storyline reaches that point in six months. Future storylines can always be made if the will is there- for a start, your Oracle predictions won't all be done in this storyline, that would be near impossible, and besides, it would leave your characters without plot hooks! Future storylines might not have a Philosophy path though- that storyline has not been easy to create. Not that there would be NO Philosophy at all, so perhaps it would be more correct to say that both Paths would be done at once in future storylines currently being considered.

But yes, this storyline is not huge, though I hope it is engaging. I would say there are about half a dozen major fight scenes- plus whatever smaller fights you guys get yourselves into!- though admittedly scenes on a very large scale, as there are so many of you! Quite often I will probably split you guys up so, say, 4 of you handle one part of a fight scene at a time, so we have three smaller fights all making up one big fight, to keep things running more smoothly than one apocalyptic uber battle going on every five minutes.

2. Ignorance

It has to be very much borne in mind that, as said before, this game is done from the perspective of the first Matrix film. Nowm, us as human beings have learned a great deal in Reloaded and Revolutions, but this is almost entirely info not available to your characters.

This isn't just obvious stuff about the One, the Architect, the Prophecy and the Cycle of Zion and the Matrix versions. It is smaller things as well. You guys have not heard of the Merovingian. You do not even know there are renegade programmes- as far as you guys are concerned, it is Rebels vs. Machines and nothing else.

The people who get a small get out clause on this are Veterans, who have seen a lot of things over time. But even then, a Vet certainly does not have the scripts to the films to hand. They can say they have heard rumours and talk of programmes who do not seem to serve the Machines, or who ran away from Agents. They might even have seen something that was obviously a Machine but did not fit their agenda (and after all, everyone suspects the Oracle is one such thing). But you would't know what it WAS; a Vet cannot say "Oh yeah! That's a werewolf! Get me some silver bullets!". It doesn't work like that. All in all, best to find out things for yourselves (as, after all, this plot is aiming to be at least somewhat distinct).

3. Style

I cannot enforce style. But it is ALWAYS nice if people play to the style of the films. That should be easy as you are all fans. This is normally about focussing on the small things, which are always a valid part of the role-playing experience. I mean, why bither giving Veterans a Relic? It won't help them beat up things or solve problems. But it is style, and it aids character. These things are just as important as good plot from me, and sensible play from you. So if any of you want to obsess about your shades, your philisophical outlook on life, or that your guns must always be gold-plated, please feel free!

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 23rd, 2003 at 02:32 PM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 02:30 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

or perhaps that you guns are allways loaded the same way and check them obsessivly??

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 04:20 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Very much so...

BtVS

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 04:26 PM
Fire

well I mark all my survived encounters with an agent on the "teeth" of my chainsaw (3 so far), and I normaly take a Katana which has a silver handle and is covered with silver like paint, or a small layer of silver if poss. (NOT METAGAMING-ASK STORM I DISLIKE GOLD,SILVER LOOKS A LOT BETTER)

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 07:47 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, here is the latest news:

Burn- Non-philosophy
Ares- Non-philosophy
Hephaestus- Philosophy
Mors- Non-philosophy
Rade- Philosophy
Virus- Philosophy (preferred but not essential)
Coeus- Philosophy
Cloud- Non-philosophy
Fire- Philosophy
Castor- Philosophy
Celsius- Philosophy
San- Philosophy

8/4?
UH-OH! WARNING! WARNING!

Ok, it might be nice if a philo switches to combat...

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 29th, 2003 at 11:47 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 02:46 PM
Peach
mordrem

I think I'd like to switch over to combat, actually...^^;

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 05:36 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

that'd make it 7 to 5

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 05:44 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oooh... that'll help. Any reason, TM?

BtVS

Old Post Nov 29th, 2003 11:47 PM
Peach
mordrem

Not really, actually...I just thought that my character, now that I've got all the downloads and everything worked out, would be more suitable for combat. Plus I love a good fight ~.^

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 30th, 2003 12:51 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote