KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Can someone be so kind to answer this TPM ? for me.

Can someone be so kind to answer this TPM ? for me.
Started by: FLIPMODE

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FLIPMODE

Can someone be so kind to answer this TPM ? for me.

I loved, all Epidsode 4-6, And totally followed them.

Ever since Episode 1 was coming out, I remember on the net (at that time), it's like everyone knew what was going to happen, before it came out. Anyway, I was'nt one of those people. I did'nt fall into Geekdom (NOT FOR THIS MOVIE ANY WAY, I HAVE OTHER THINGS TO BE GEEKY OVER, sw takes too much of your life.)

Anyway, heres my Confusion.

My confusion lies with Sidious, And Palpatine. Now unluckily for me, chatting away on the net prior to the opening, I watched TPM, with the Idea that Palpatine was really Sidious all along. And that Kind of ruined the movie for me, when later on people started to argue that this was not true. Not to mention JarJar.
So what's the deal? Are they the same guy? If not, who's under the hood and where did he come from?

Oh yeah, and by Episode 5, who's the guy in the hood in that movie? Same guy??

Everything else with all the movies, I pretty much follow.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2001 06:50 AM
Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

1. Yes, Palpatine and Sidious are almost certainly are the same person

2. Sidious is the Emperor from the Original trilogy.

3. I'll just move this to the Ep. I and IV-VI area...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 21st, 2001 10:23 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

1. and 2. are confirmed by the DVD commentary for all the non believers. GL says on the commentary that Sidious is introduced in in a hologram like he was in ESB, where we see him the first time in the original three movies. So Sidious=Emperor. And that Palpatine is the future Emperor is common knowlegde, so there you are. Proof is finally here for those blind to the obvious.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2001 08:45 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

And also in 5 they did use someone else to play Palpy. If you read the credits it will all come to you.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2001 10:01 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I find it amusing how some people take the Star Wars (or any film, for that matter) so seriously. ANd how it is so unimportant to others.

Now, if I was labled a geek about anything, it would be about Star Wars. My buds don't get into it at all. A lot of my friends have seen the original three, then saw TPM with me. And the end of the movie, I had to tell them that Anakin was Darth Vader as a child.

FLIPMODE asked a good question, but at the same time, one that seemed so elementary to most of us.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 05:19 AM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

OK, it's clear that Lucas didn't want to make the connection obvious. Otherwise he would have, so the Sidious-Palpy conenction is not essential to get the film. But insiders know he is or have been debating about them being one and the same.

The connection Anakin-Vader is a bit odd NOT to get. Vader's real name is mentioned several times in ROTJ. But then, once you see the series starting at Ep1, I'm sure there will be no confusion about Vader being Anakin. Unless you're really daft of course.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 08:15 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FLIPMODE

The young Anakin was basic knowledge for TPM. Im not THAT out of the loop. That would be like, me NOT seeing any of the original movies.

But the sidious/Palpatine thing was definitly not an Important statement shown in TPM. GL would have went more out of his way to make that clear. To the Common folk, he did not want that to be know. Will it be better explain in AOTC? Maybe I should'nt ask, seems like I may get too much info.

P.S.: Why dont palp and sidious even look the same? I tried looking, seemed like a more horrible looking person under the hood. Does he go through some sort of Transformation?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 07:06 PM
Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

He looks different, because I smacked him around!

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 07:10 PM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They are actually the same actor, just Ian puts on a nasty sneer in Sidious mode.

While it was by no means made obvious that they are the same person, not a huge amount of effort was made to keep it secret, either.

I have no doubt he will be fully unmaksed in a alter film.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 22nd, 2001 at 08:53 PM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 07:51 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yes, I think that was Lucas' plan. I never agreed with it myself, it could have added extra tension to the scenes with the queen. But that's just my HO OC.

And you don't need to get Anakin IS Vader since it's the first story.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2001 08:29 PM
peluffo

The John Williams's Score for the emperor is the same used for Darth Sidious, and I think we have there the last clue we needed to know Sidious Is the next Emperor. And in the scripts and novelization of Star Wars (the first, written by GL) he states that the emperor is called Palpatine, from where we can deduce that Sidious=Palpatine=Future emperor.

BTW, I Watch very carefully the scene where Amidala says to palpatine that she will back to naboo, and in the VERY last shoot of Palpatine (where the transition of images rolls up to change the Scene) i think to see a smile in the corner of Palpatine's mouth. I rewinded and see it frame by frame, and i'm pretty sure it is that way, but my eyes may be destroyed for seeing movies to close to TV set!!!stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 14th, 2001 03:31 AM
Click here to Send peluffo a Private Message Find more posts by peluffo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SilentMike

Read SW insider interview

If you check out the interview they did with Ian Mcdiarmid that should clear up all confusion he pretty much says their the same person and that Palpatine is very cunning in masking his true person he really explains all there is to him I found it somewhat amusing that people thought palpatine could be a clone everythings so obvious doh!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2001 05:20 AM
Click here to Send SilentMike a Private Message Find more posts by SilentMike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

yeah, well, Darth Sidious IS the emperor: on the DVD GL said that so...

if there is hard proof that DS=Palpa=Emperor than you have it, but it's already accepted, and also on the website...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2001 12:03 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

And if George says so.......

Old Post Nov 15th, 2001 01:52 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

..he can always say his wrong...

Old Post Nov 15th, 2001 04:11 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Flipmode, read some EU...its really good stuff...errr...most of it anyway.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2001 04:44 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

jeeeeeuj, ripp offs from the DS... sad

Old Post Dec 1st, 2001 05:41 PM
Julie
The Student

What that got to do with anything?

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2001 03:02 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

almost every book I have of SW is about a new superweapon made by some guys that are loyal to the Emperor...

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2001 01:44 PM
Julie
The Student

Ahhh I see. Gotta watch out for those Emperor lackys.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2001 08:47 PM