KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Where's R2

Where's R2
Started by: theEvilJedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
theEvilJedi

Where's R2

It seems that Kenny Baker won't be playing R2-D2 anymore.The man who created the droid will be replaced by technology for the remaining two episodes.sad

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 06:18 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Oh well, more time to sit by the pool and smoke his bong wink ...I would think he'd be okay with it..considering that they're making R2 bungee jump.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 06:22 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

I don't even know why they ever needed him.R2 was controlled by remote and Baker just made it wobble.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 06:23 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I think they had to have him do the "facial" stuff...

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 06:26 AM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tom Gon Jinn

There was a picture of the 'proper' R2 on the Official Site's Newsletter, and it looked really clean, as if it was about to be filmed.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 02:56 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

That was before they flung him off of a crane.

Anyway, I think a lot was assumed both by the fans and Kenny based on what was said at the Disney Weekends.

Kenny said that George Lucas had told him that he would noy have anyone else play R2-D2. In point of fact he has stuck to that as the droid appears to have been filled with all the electronics to make him run without a human "pilot."

So, "from a certain point of view" he has lived up to his word...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 04:04 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xizor

I don't think it's imprtant to have someone inside the little trash can.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 06:35 PM
Click here to Send Xizor a Private Message Find more posts by Xizor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Maybe, maybe not, but I do feel that it's rather sad that no one at Lucasfilms called Kenny and explained it to him. I think, from the IMDB report I saw, that the reason he was upset wasn't that he'd was not in the movie but that no one had told him that he wasn't in the movie.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2000 11:06 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

The fact that IMDB say that R2 will be CGI is worrying. He will look completely different. I wish Lucas would leave things alone. Why mess with perfection?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2000 01:45 AM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I think IMDB have the head up somewhere on the whole CGI issue. I'm guessingf they've just packed the little guy out with electronics to make a completely remote control, go anywhere R2.

Why would the CGI him, they're not doing 3PO in CGI, Anthony Daniels was puppeteering for the "skeleton" shots according to the Offical reports.

The only way CGI would be woprthwhile is iof there were hundreds of R2-D2's, it's easier to make R2 the old way, he doesn't have the complexity of motion of say Yoda or Jar Jar or the numbers of the Battle Droids.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2000 02:38 AM
Xizor

Yes, R2 will be staying his same old self, just packed with more electronics. If you want to hear exactly what Baker said I got this from my local newspaper:

"Of course I'm dissapointed. I missed the chance to go to Australia with the cast. I'm not in the movie to the extent I was expecting, and no one has really explained to me why. George Lucas always told me that R2D2 really came alive when I was inside him. If they don't use human beings these movies are in danger of looking like Disney cartoons."

So Baker was indeed dissapointed about not reprising his role, I think it's sad that he didn't get an explaination from GL right off. I found it significant that he took the time to nock Jar Jar in the process.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2000 04:11 AM
Click here to Send Xizor a Private Message Find more posts by Xizor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Yeah he did sound a little bitter. I do feel sorry for him in the fact that George wasn't the one to tell him, but he had to know that it was coming. They used romote control R2s in EP1 for pete sake!

Old Post Aug 30th, 2000 11:00 AM
KJ
Sausages

They should still give Kenny Baker a role in the film. Maybe as himself like they did with the actor who plays Wicket. Or maybe he will be in Artoo when they film in Tunisia and Italy. He does only say that he is dissapointed not to be in Australia.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2000 02:57 AM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

The official site just reported today that he's in...smile

Old Post Aug 31st, 2000 09:39 AM
theEvilJedi

I found that out too.Whats up with that?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2000 02:15 AM
Ratcat

I noticed that before the announcement Kenny Bakers name was removed from the cast list and after the annoucement it was there again.

I checked, after my last posting here and it was deffinately gone. Previously it had been directly beneath Anthony Daniels but then it when and now it's back but beneath Silas Carson.

Persoanlly I think they duid drop him for R2-D2, no not from the crane, but then had a change of heart after the fans picked up on it.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2000 01:31 PM
KJ
Sausages

That's what I think as well, but I'm glad he is in it.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2000 02:54 AM
Dim
Creativity

Actually they didn't say that he was R2 did they? I bet they have him in some other role...

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2000 05:29 AM
Ratcat

I don't think so, the quote says:

"The robotics technology inside the Artoo models have advanced to the point where they can achieve most of the performance I need right along side the other actors. Still, there's an element of humanity to Artoo that comes from having Kenny Baker inside. We've always had Kenny scheduled for a number of shots during the final week of shooting at Elstree Studios."

SO I think we can safely say he'll be inside the little trash can. Note the bit that I've highlighted.

I may be wrong, but then that would be nothing new....

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2000 03:22 PM
UnknownBountyHunter

At least the little midget's back. HOORAY! smile smile

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2000 08:08 AM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote