KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Plotinus

Plotinus
Started by: Tuur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tuur

Plotinus

quote:
Plotinus is considered to be the founder of Neo-Platonism. Taking his lead from his reading of Plato, Plotinus developed a complex spiritual cosmology involving three hypostases: the One, the Intelligence, and the Soul. It is from the productive unity of these three Beings that all existence emanates.

(Cheers to dtj!)

Link coming up as I'm not allowed to post it... mad

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 10:21 AM
Tuur is currently offline Find more posts by Tuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tuur

(www).utm.edu/research/iep/p/plotinus.htm

Last edited by Tuur on Jun 2nd, 2003 at 10:26 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 10:24 AM
Tuur is currently offline Find more posts by Tuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

crap

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 07:39 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alaba
THE ONE

nice tuur..could you explain further i think you make sense...

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 08:09 PM
alaba is currently offline Click here to Send alaba a Private Message Find more posts by alaba Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tuur

quote:
Originally posted by Dexx
crap

'scuse me?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 07:50 AM
Tuur

quote:
Originally posted by alaba
nice tuur..could you explain further i think you make sense...

There's a lot of Matrix / Architect logic in there... Some snips:

quote:
...this supreme prior is, according to Plotinus, the One, which is neither being nor essence, but the source, or rather, the possibility of all existence (see Ennead V.2.1). In this capacity, the One is not even a beginning, nor even an end, for it is simply the disinterested orientational 'stanchion' that permits all beings to recognize themselves as somehow other than a supreme 'I'. Indeed, for Plotinus, the Soul is the 'We' (Ennead I.1.7), that is, the separated yet communicable likeness (homoiotai) of existents to the Mind or Intelligence that contemplates the One. This highest level of contemplation -- the Intelligence contemplating the One -- gives birth to the forms (eide), which serve as the referential, contemplative basis of all further existents.

quote:
The perfect contemplation of the One, however, must not be understood as a return to a primal source; for the One is not, strictly speaking, a source or a cause, but rather the eternally present possibility -- or active making-possible -- of all existence, of Being (V.2.1).

I could go on and on...

Read the article if you're interested. Swap Intelligence for Matrix and you're set.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 11:09 AM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

I just found this thread, and i thought it would be a good read. This helps to think of Neo as, not just himself, but the collection of the disbelief, i guess you could say, of all the humans inside the Matrix.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 12:30 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Oh! Very interesting. Off the top of my head wouldn't Trinity be a good candidate for "The Soul"?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 12:37 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

hmm

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 12:48 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Trinity, Neo and Smith sitting in a tree...3 become 1 and all are free

Wonder where else I posted this big grin

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 02:07 PM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

true, sifer, very true...

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 03:43 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Now we know why Smith actually copies himself. Because he wants to become something that he cannot - The One - Everything smile

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 03:57 PM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

everything, and nothing...Smith wants the power all to himself, but for what reason? and if you are right, what will make him help Neo and Trin?

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 04:06 PM
Korri

i think.....smith fancies Neo laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 04:08 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Who says he has to do anything willfully wink

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 04:54 PM
Korri

its a bit scary lol

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 04:54 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

Sifer> true, but it would be easier if he did, especially if he realizes the Oracle's point.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 05:04 PM
Sifer

He could possibly understand the concept because of his 'human emotions' but from what we know, he hasn't actually met the Oracle as of yet.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 11:53 PM
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

"yet" being the operative keyword. We still don't know why he's in the Oracle's apartment.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 11:54 PM
Sifer

True, but we know she doesn't inhabit that place anymore. At least she isn't during the course of Reloaded. Instead, it is as if she is 'on the run' smile

Old Post Sep 11th, 2003 11:57 PM