KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S LOTR RP Game part 2- The Fortress of Baranar

USH'S LOTR RP Game part 2- The Fortress of Baranar
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (211): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

LOTR RP Game part 2- The Fortress of Baronar

Fornost-Erain, 1972 TA

Winter comes and it is a cold one- they have been growing colder, lately. The cold makes supplied travel of forces nearly impossible. The flood of refugees fleeing from eastern Cardolan into the west or south, or Arthedain, becomes a trickle, and then stops. What has become of those remaining in the east of Cardolan is unknown. Raiders and warbands now swarm though the north and east of Cardolan with impunity.

But no occupying invasion comes. As the batte Lords of Arthedain knew, the Witch-King has no mind to waste his time further devastating Cardolan, a 'kingdom' in name only, already shattered and wasted. The west and south of Cardolan survives still, its people untroubled, even uncaring. Instead, his vast army continues to swell to the north, and it looks only one way- towards Arthedain, last of the once mighty human Kingdom of Arnor, and its capital, Fornost.

In Arthedain, ther eis much work to do. Work continues on the great row of fortifcations will keep the Witch-King at bay. For now, at least, the quarrel between those who want to take the fight to the Witch-King and those who want to stay at the walls and let the Witch-King come to them abates- during the winter, no offensive campaign is possible. The south of Arthedain is secure indeed- but a great swathe of it to the north is vulnerable, nearer to Angmar itself. Arthedain's northern army is hard pressed to patrol the whole border, far from its supplies. But nearing completion now is the great northern fortress of Embylosse, key in Arthedain's defensive strategy. The men work tirelessly through the winter to complete it. Meanwhile, new men are trained. Arthedain's armies slowly grow. They train, they patrol. Skirmishes are fought, men die, as do Dunlendings and Orcs.

In Fornost itself, great effort is made for life to carry on as normal. People go about their work. Foreign visitors are received, openly, as ever. People still willing to brave the roads through Arnor can find safety here. A mighty tournament is planned for later in the year. But the mithril shipment from Gondor has not yet arrived, and no more word is heard from Rivendell. Nor did anyone expect any.

Malbeth the Seer dies during the Winter. Gandalf the Grey attends his funeral, and then rides East, and has not been seen since, nor is expected. Vardalain, you hear rumour Gandalf rode to see Elrond to discuss Malbeth's death, but where he went hence, you know not. No-one speaks of the weight of Malbeth's Prophecy at his funeral.

Yet it is familiar to all here. King Arvedui- the Last King, named by Malbeth himself- a man with uncommon perception. He said to Arvedui's father:

"Arvedui you shall call him, for he will be the last in Arthedain. Though a choice will come to the Dunadain, and if they take the one that seems less hopeful, then your son will change his name and become King of a Great Realm. If not, then much sorrow and many lives of men shall pass, until the Dunadain arise and are united again."

Arvedui is a fair and just and wise and strong King indeed, but always has he had to deal with the legacy of his name an Malbeth's words- one of many prophecies he made, many still to be deciphered.

Arevedui has tried to beat the Prophecy before. When the King of distant Gondor died, Areveudi had good claim to the throne, and offered himself as King, to unite the two split Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor and create on firm Kingdom of man, to re-create the legacy of Elendil and Isildur. His marriage to a Gondorian Princess, finally opening up relations between the two Kingdoms again, had done much for his cause. Said Arvedui, when Gondor said that only by Isildur's brother could descent be claimed in Gondor:

"Elendil had two sons, of whom Isildur was the elder and the heir ofnhis father. We have heard that the name of Elendil stands to this day at the head of the line of the Kings of Gondor, since he was accounted the king of all lands of the Dundadain. When Elendil still lived, the conjoint rule in the South was committed to his sons, but when Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high Kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the South in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever."

To this Gondor made no reply- for they had none, only a great- though understandable- pride that led them to choose one of their own, the great hero Earnil, as King instead. Arvedui's dream of a united Kingdom was dashed- but Earnil at least is a fair man who is willing to send at least some material support north.

With no support from anywhere, Arthedain faces the great menace of Angmar and its Witch-King alone. Little hope can be seen in defeating those huge forces. Yet Arvedui has a new plan, to save Arthedain and defeat his prophecy. His efforts now look not east to Angmar, but south to ruined Cardolan. Arnor was long hence split into three, but now Arvedui plans to take this option of little hope- as prophecised- and attempt re-union with Cardolan, to make a new, strong Kingdom with him at the head. And Arvedui intends this Kingdom to be a rallying point for all of the free world to see how the Witch-King can be resisted, should those free peoples choose to come together as one and oppose him.

And so, King Arevedui, in pursuit of his plan, has made great effort to bring together those from disparate parts of Middle-Earth, to make their acquaintence nd afriendship and show them the peril he faces, so that they might come together and demonstrate his dream of an Alliance of Races. Most recently, a group of travellers coming to Fornost for various reason who helped save Arvedui's daughter from capture by a deep penetrating orcish raiding band have won his gratitude and agreed to help him. These are the players from the last story, but if you a new player, Arevedui has equally welcomed you and brought you into his plan.

Winter is giving way to Spring and the time to do things comes. There has been much diplomatic contact between Fornost and the northern landowners in western Cardolan, closest to Bree and where the Halflings live, Something is expected to happen with Arevedui's plan soon.

All of you players have rooms in the great palance at Fornost- as honoured guests you have luxtury accomodation. All of you now may talk of what you have been up to, your opinions, your plans, you may disucss matters with each other- and new players may introduce themselves.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2003 10:16 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Argentis enters the courtyard looking for an elf, when he finds one (any elf player can responnd) he says:"Master elf I am Argentis, I come from the eastern side of the Misty mountains, Where I left to find my half-brother Zeratul, a half-elf. By the time I reached Gondor they told me he had departed for Fornost so, have you seen him?"

(Argentis has long Blond/Brown hair, and green eyes, he's rather tall about 6 ft 5', he seems to be pretty heavy and he carries a sword)

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 12:30 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

Vardalain smiles at the newcomer.
"Zeratul is companion in our travelling. You may find him inside" he says pointing at the door.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:01 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"Thank you I will not forget this"

Argentis runs through the door, almost nocking down a servant, After a while finding Zeratul.

The meeting is short and a bit weird (since this is the first time they meet)

After a while Argentis comes walking back out, and heads over to Vardalain: "If you and others agree I will take my brothers place in this group of travellers"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:08 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

"we are alway keen of new volunteers to our goal, but you will have to speak with aranui, for replacing zeratul." says Vardalain

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:20 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"I will"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:21 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

(Argentis was actrually the name of a Jedi in my SW game... this is going to cause me a headache...)

Aranui is busy aiding Turambar during these days; there is no specific group leader at this time.

In a little while I shall post up a thread listing all the important personages around you can talk to.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

(cool, want me to change names?)

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:28 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No need.

BtVS

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:28 PM
Fire

(okie)

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 01:30 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Aiwendil rode through the gates on her piebald mare, singing an Elvish ballad softly to her self. Her long fawn hair was pulled back in a straight tail, and she simply wore a murky brown tunic coupled with pale grey breeches. She was barefoot, with her boots, along with a stout hazel staff, slung on the mare's back. The quiver of arrows along with a ready bow completed the picture - this was a hardy traveller, not a soft maiden of the Elven nobility.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 03:03 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"Hmmm is there an elf gathering here or something of that nature?"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 03:05 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Aiwendil scanned quickly about, and upon seeing no others, walked quickly up to the two, leading her mare behind her.
"Sirs, could you direct me to the nearest area where I may care for my mare? She has traveled hard today, and she needs rest."

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 03:11 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"It is a fine animal indeed madame, but doesn't it have a name?"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 03:22 PM
Fitch
Free

Palanfirith is walking inside the room where they we're talking.
"hello my dear friends.For those who don't know me I'm Palanfirith,An elf mastered in bow and knifes.
It's good to see all of you here !What are you up too?"
(so good beeing an elf.U're not so cold stick out tongue )

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 04:49 PM
Fitch is currently offline Click here to Send Fitch a Private Message Find more posts by Fitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

"This lady is looking a place for her mare"
turning over to the lady:"Excuse me I didn't catch your name or the name of your mare"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 04:57 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Aiwendil smiled. "I am Aiwendil, sir. My lady here is named Iarbeleth, as she is the swiftest of all her kin. May I enquire unto your name, good sir?"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 06:58 PM
Fire

"My name is Argentis, and you will find, "suitable" accommodations for Iarbeleth over there that is were Emoras is resting now."

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 07:03 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Aiwendil lead Iarbeleth over to the spacious stable, leaving her a good measure of hay and plenty to drink. she then returned to the inner courtyard, planning to become better aquainted with the companions there. She had had little chance to meet others on her lonely journey from Firien Wood.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 07:14 PM
Fire

"I think I'm going for a ride soon"

Old Post Sep 4th, 2003 07:16 PM