KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Merovingian: Matrix 1.0 OS?

Merovingian: Matrix 1.0 OS?
Started by: The Omega

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Omega
Z10N0101

Question Merovingian: Matrix 1.0 OS?

I just had the distinct pleasure of watching Revolutions (again), and must admit that it gets better with every viewing. I keep stumbling over things that went over my head the first times I saw it (Such as the station name Sellma(?)).

Anyways: I’ve been wondering what and who the Merovingian is for some time now, and here’s an idea: Could he be the operating system from the FIRST perfect Matrix? Windows users are probably aware, that if you want to go from, say, Windows98 to WindowsXP and keep your stuff, you first have to make a partition of your HD. And that partition does not ALWAYS go away after installing the new operating system.

Let’s suppose that was what the Merv originally was. An operating system, who managed to create his own domain on the machine matrix HD, when the Architect installed version 2.0 and even 3.0. Such a partition survives a restart. Such a partitioned domain can easily have a subroutine link (Trainman’s Mobil Ave) to the router between the Matrix and the Machine World.

I’ve been wondering what KIND of program would fit the parameters: One of the oldest programs. One of the most dangerous. Trafficker of information. Samples languages. Such an old OS would fit the description. And it would make sense that he’s named after Kings, as he’s indeed an old ruler, and now a ruler of his OWN domain.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:30 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

Sorry for my bad english but here we go..
In Rld The Oracle says that Merovigian is one of the oldest Matrix programs. We cannot call an operating system a program. An operating system is a layer of call (system calls) to provide communication between hardware and software.

...Windows98 to WindowsXP and keep your stuff, you first have to make a partition of your HD. And that partition does not ALWAYS go away after installing the new operating system....

could you explain a little more, please?

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Last edited by TOH on Nov 23rd, 2003 at 11:44 PM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:40 PM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

We're being a wee bit technical here, methinks

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:51 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

quote:
Originally posted by Ahnold
We're being a wee bit technical here, methinks

I am just trying to understand.... cool

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:53 PM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

I know, sorry! big grin

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:54 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

The One Himself>
The Oracle says “One of the oldest and most dangerous of US.” There is, a priori, no need to assume she speaks ONLY about programs as we know them. She could be speaking about ANYTHING from the Machine World.

And which part do you not understand? A partition of your HD? How that partition may (may!) survive installing a new operating system?

Ahnold> Excuse me?

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:54 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Omega is excused big grin

NVM

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2003 11:57 PM
The Omega
Z10N0101

Ahnold> If you need to get your post-count up, could you try the OT forum, please. Or did you have a question to ask?

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 12:02 AM
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

No no no big grin

The exact quote is:

He's being held prisoner (about the Keymaker)
by a very dangerous program. . .
. . .one of the oldest of us.
He is called the Merovingian.

Not trying to go deeper in SO's or partitions but I did not understand this part..So the analogy

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 12:04 AM
The Omega
Z10N0101

The One Himself> You're right! I forgot about that part.
BUT anything working without a "shell" (machine, robot) can be termed a PROGRAM.

The point is, that I've always wondered why the system didn't just send agents to Mero and company and wipe them out, but only went after the Keymaker when he was no LONGER in the Mero's "possession."
This lead me to the theory of a separate DOMAIN. And comparing to today's computer-systems an old OS could, in principle, live on on a partitioned domain on the HD. Where "it" rules supreme. wink

That could explain why the current system (agents) cannot get to the Mero and his henchmen.
He (The Merovingian) could be something completely different. I'm just making a guess smile

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 12:07 AM
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

Merovingian is a program but he is a kind of programmer too. I always thought "Merv" and his henchmen were hidden using cryptography in some part of the Matrix....dunno...

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 12:15 AM
sum1butno1
Transient being

That would sort of explain the guys walking on the ceiling in the coat check, too. I've been wondering about those. But if Merv has his own little domain within the Matrix, he can change things as he so desires. Right?

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 02:02 AM
sum1butno1 is currently offline Click here to Send sum1butno1 a Private Message Find more posts by sum1butno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
priestjim
Grovda

Maybe he was a very low level programmer. And when he became obsolete he had chosen exile. And then, being a programmer, he created his own domain or anything else he wanted. The agents have no power on the Mero. His place is not a part of the Matrix.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 02:47 AM
priestjim is currently offline Click here to Send priestjim a Private Message Find more posts by priestjim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

Just before Neo, Morpheus and Trin enter Merovingian's restaurant, Morpheus asked Neo:

-What can you see, Neo?
-It's strange. The code is somehow different.
-Encrypted?
-Maybe.

And there, we see a piece of cake in green code just like in the Matrix. So I believe Merv's place is an altered part of the Matrix, encrypted to avoid agents and others intruders not a limbo or something like Mobil Ave. In Mobil Ave Neo has no powers but in the Chateau he easily defeated Merovingian's henchmen.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 03:08 AM
HexSintax
Teh Rookie Biatch

well actually, an os is a program persay...ive always compared everything in the matrix to the computer world because everytihng is very similiar, i really dont wanna go deep into explanation with out a spring-board :-P....i see where youre going with this Omega, though.

the Mero: could be written in old language ie. machine language (debug) or DOS...or of different encryption than the matrix itself. he could also be a program thats held in a different location, remotely, than the rest of the programs, just like the oracle, architect, etc. the matrix could exist on a different server than the rest so when teh matrix is rebooted, everything else is still backed up ie on Drive D.

*some people say, "Hey, Neo is JUST like Jesus" but i say "Nay, Neo can kick Jesus' ass!"*
-Coming Easter 2004-
Neo -vs- Jesus
"Teh Awakening"

"...because Jesus was one crazy guy..."

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 03:15 AM
HexSintax is currently offline Click here to Send HexSintax a Private Message Find more posts by HexSintax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ch0g0nda
Captain

I'm not even going to try to comprehend what omega is talking about with partitions.

You partition a drive that's already got a file system? No... Sorry unless you get lucky with Partition Magic it just doesn't happen.

As for the data you backed up onto the new partition (assuming you could make it). It would all survive.

Windows is by default installed into the C: directory. Creating a partition (assuming you don't have extra cd drives or hard drives) would leave you with both a C: and D: drive, with the two drives equaling the sum of the original C: drive. When you upgrade from win98 to XP you install over 98 with XP into C: drive. D: drive remains untouched. Under good operating conditions there's never (never ever even) going to be a loss of data on D: drive.

As for the rest of your theory, spot on. It make sense that the Mero could be a part of the Matrix 1.0. It takes more than one program to run an OS, which could explain the oracle (and possibly other, now deleted pgorams). I enjoyed reading your theory as it eliminates any questions I had as to what the Mero could be.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 08:34 AM
ch0g0nda is currently offline Click here to Send ch0g0nda a Private Message Find more posts by ch0g0nda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
davetheonemende

Mouse - Merv - Similar

Is mouse considered a deleted program? (he was killed in M1)
I have a theory about Merv and Mouse.

Mouse wrote the gatekeeper program (chapter 17 in M1) he states this in chapter 20 of M1.

Here's what i'm getting at; Chapter 20 just baffles me a bit as far as mouse's role in the movie. He too writes programs; he tells neo he wrote the gatekeeper program and inserted the lady in red he also says something Mero like about denying ones impulses; we see this lady in red in the beginning of chapter 23 as well. In revolutions; the lovely Persephone was wearing red too. Damn she's pretty!!!

Anhow; in chapter 20 of M1 He talks to Neo about food; taste; watch this chapter and pay close attention to the dialogue and then watch the restaurant scene in Reloaded and how Mero shows Neo how he makes a woman explode down yonder with this cake program he wrote. His explanation sounds similar to what mouse was getting at in M1 in chapter 20.
Please don't rip on me;
Just thought I'd point it out.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 09:56 AM
davetheonemende is currently offline Click here to Send davetheonemende a Private Message Find more posts by davetheonemende Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Omega - WHY would I want to get my post count up? I was just commenting that this argument was a bit technical, nothing more. C'mon, you've been a bit short with me for the last few days - no need for that

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 11:17 AM
Mordecai
I am the way.

Mouse was shot, he died.

"the body cannot live without the mind"

Mouse was not a program he was human (as far as we know), humans die.

and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it,
to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 11:22 AM
Mordecai is currently offline Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

The One Himself> Hm, you have a good point. The Mero’s domain is being “assimilated” by the new Matrix program, and I’m not sure that really works with my theory of the Matrix 1.0 OS system.

Ch0n0nda> No, I want to make a partition on the HD to my keep old files and later get them updated to Windows XP (let’s stick with the allegory). Usually, if I then proceed to install Windows XP my old OS will be deleted. But there ARE stories of Windows98 surviving on the partitioned domain, much to the chagrin of the users big grin
Hence the reason I speculated that the Mero could be the operating system for Matrix 1.0 (the first, the perfect Matrix). The Architect wanted to keep some of the good, working programs (sunrise, sunset, clouds, rain, birds… etc), and made a partition and wanted to install Matrix 2.0 (and later 3.0). But since said OS was also an AI it didn’t want to “go away.” A partitioned domain could easily have a subroutine access to the router, this subroutine being the Trainman.

DavetheoneMende> I must agree with Mordecai here. Mouse was a human, he just wrote programs for the Neb’s construct. There’s no basis to believe he has ANYTHING to do with the Merovingian.
The Lady in Red and the cake-eating woman in Pink are NOT the same woman.

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Nov 24th, 2003 03:37 PM