KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » 1984 vs. Brave New World

1984 vs. Brave New World
Started by: Pyron_Knight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Pyron_Knight
Eater of Worlds

1984 vs. Brave New World

Simple question. Which fictional place would you rather live in ie. which dystopia is better and why?

Old Post Feb 19th, 2009 06:02 PM
Pyron_Knight is currently offline Click here to Send Pyron_Knight a Private Message Find more posts by Pyron_Knight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
backdoorman
'cause I'm loose

The BNW society never seemed all that terrible to me really, as far as supposed dystopias go anyway.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2009 11:03 PM
backdoorman is currently offline Click here to Send backdoorman a Private Message Find more posts by backdoorman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Yeah, living would be preferable in the Brave New World society. It's a much happier place really.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 12:00 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

BNW for sure yeah.

The people in it are so ****ed up they don't even know they're ****ed up.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 05:36 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
busyreader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
BNW for sure yeah.

The people in it are so ****ed up they don't even know they're ****ed up.

Kinda like Catch-22 in many ways isn't it! Everyone's so crazy they don't know they're crazy so they aren't. Except for Yossarian.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2009 11:48 AM
busyreader is currently offline Click here to Send busyreader a Private Message Find more posts by busyreader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teamB_macro

i have to refresh my memory of 1984 and bnw. it was a freshman paper that i've long since forgotten. big grin but i do prefer dystopias over utopias.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2009 01:16 AM
teamB_macro is currently offline Click here to Send teamB_macro a Private Message Find more posts by teamB_macro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaworori

Ah, and I thought this was going to be a discussion on what books people preferred smile.

I'd echo the sentiments of others here - Brave New World had a much more promiscuous society after a fashion.

As for what book I prefer (that's right, I'm abducting the thread) I would go for 1984. Being British, the idea of Big Brother seems to resonate more strongly with the old homeland and for me, and apparently the UK has the most CCTV cameras of any European nation.

People have argued that every decade or so, following economic well being, the society of either 1984 or BNW seems to appear in ours. It was argued that our society now, however, was a mixture of both.

On a sidenote, did people know that Orwell was a student of Huxley's (or a similar relationship) and that Huxley did not like his 'protege's' novel at all?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 03:51 AM
Kaworori is currently offline Click here to Send Kaworori a Private Message Find more posts by Kaworori Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

brave new world and 1984 is what the world has BECOME.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 07:34 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Mr Parker
brave new world and 1984 is what the world has BECOME.

So perceptive.

Brave New World would be preferable; it's also the more interesting novel.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2010 05:17 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rader
Person

I didn't read 1984, but I think that the BNW was actually a perfectly functioning society. I couldn't honestly classify it as dystopia. Also, khaki is such an ugly color. I'm glad I'm an Alpha.

Old Post May 12th, 2010 12:03 PM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by rader
I didn't read 1984, but I think that the BNW was actually a perfectly functioning society. I couldn't honestly classify it as dystopia. Also, khaki is such an ugly color. I'm glad I'm an Alpha.

You look like a delta at best. UHH BURN!

Old Post May 12th, 2010 08:43 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BookwormService

BnW would be better, no matter which class you belonged too

Old Post Jun 21st, 2010 06:11 PM
BookwormService is currently offline Click here to Send BookwormService a Private Message Find more posts by BookwormService Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Never read the other book, but I guess 1984

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2010 03:07 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote