KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Nineteen-eighty-four

Nineteen-eighty-four
Started by: lil bitchiness

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lil bitchiness
-

Nineteen-eighty-four

Im sure many of you have read this book, and who hasnt, you really must!

This is one fo the reasons i didnt like that show 'big brother' was called 'big brother'...because of where the idea came from...embarrasment i know im a geek!

Id really like to discuss this book...did you think it was frightening? I absolutely did...maybe because it COULD happen..the totally control idea really scared me...

Love didnt prevail in the end either...confused basicly the message was ''you cant beat the system''

What did you guys think about it?! confused

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 07:12 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

it was good. i like how all feelings, mostly helplessness are depicted. it has really good character work.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2003 07:36 PM
kohl is currently offline Click here to Send kohl a Private Message Find more posts by kohl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Yeah...agreed.
The whole feel to the book was creepy messed ending just added to it...

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Dec 15th, 2003 07:40 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

I haven't read this one, but I read George Orwell's other book "Animal Farm" and that was good. It should be similar, dealing with communism and control. I ve talked about this book, Fahrieneit 451 and the movies Equilibrium and The Matrix back ont eh Matrix forum. They're all somewhat similar, dealing with beating the system.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 12:09 AM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

its good. very good actually but i stick with the classics smile

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 05:35 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I loved this book, but the ending was so bleak. I cried when [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Winston saw his reflection when he was in the ministry of love and he was unrecognisable

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 10:42 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I like 1984 specialy chapter 5!! The infamous room 101 is my favorite part of the book. I remenber discussing the book with other school mates. Their conclusions were different than mine about the book. To them the book is an example of what the world might have become if communism would be taken over the world. But to me the book illustrated a world if Nazism would have won the war.

I really like the book but for some reasons I drew different conclusions on the book theme. However you interpretid the book is still a classic not one of my favorites but it is worth readin it.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 03:38 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
metal face
whatchootalkinboutwillis

excellent book,

i might it again soon

i forget the line

you're only tuly free if....

i cant remmebr the rest..

but its the basis of the book for real....

reckonize

I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can stop butterin' me up. I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it, I know how ****in' good it is. When Bonnie goes shoppin;, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But what's on my mind at this moment isn't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead ****** in my garage-Jimmie

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 05:29 PM
metal face is currently offline Click here to Send metal face a Private Message Find more posts by metal face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

We are reading it for the 6th Form bookclub. We are meeting tomorrow. I'll try to come online on thurs and tell ya all their ideas

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 08:25 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Excellent...i might re-read it actually...confused Its not the same though...the ending is a shock in a way...

Old Post Dec 16th, 2003 11:17 PM
metal face
whatchootalkinboutwillis

i thought the ending was dope

indeed kinda a shock

i thought the book could have been a little better with a little more detail or added story about the oppression....to much jumble with him and the chick...

the philosophical views of the book are on point though

like at the end!!!

hahahaha

I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can stop butterin' me up. I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it, I know how ****in' good it is. When Bonnie goes shoppin;, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But what's on my mind at this moment isn't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead ****** in my garage-Jimmie

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 01:26 AM
metal face is currently offline Click here to Send metal face a Private Message Find more posts by metal face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

The ending was the best thing about it...I dont think anything else needed to be said....

Winston and his 'chick' were important part...in the end it showed that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: love didnt prevail and he betrayed her..well sort of, as he didnt want to get tourchered so they were an important factor..yes

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 12:45 PM
metal face
whatchootalkinboutwillis

it was an important factor

but played on a lot nah mean?

and its didnt really contibute to the end

ina way, but....

i just felt it didnt really apply to the books views

it aint a love story for real

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 04:23 PM
Fire

great book one of the great classics, not as great as the triffids (sp) tho

anywayz in 1948, when the book was written 1984 could well have been like Orwel described it. If you look at the technological part of the book it is CERTAINLY possible today. However I don't see it happening any time soon.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Dec 17th, 2003 04:45 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

What we decided was so scary about it is that you look around the world and you can see elements of it everywhere

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 10:46 AM
Corlindel
Noldor

Good fiction book. A profecie that became true. sad

Someone is watching me at this moment at the net., there are cameras on street corners, my privacy is violated every momet, everywhere sad

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 12:29 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

quote:
Originally posted by Corlindel
Good fiction book. A profecie that became true. sad

Someone is watching me at this moment at the net., there are cameras on street corners, my privacy is violated every momet, everywhere sad

In your monitor, there are tiny, little hidden cameras that see evrything you are doing and transmit it to a secret location and if you do anything wrong, they'll get ya.

BTW, it you didn't know 1984 got it's name by inverting the last 2 digits of 1948, the year it was written. Also, George Orwell, isn't the real name of the author. I forgot got, but he though his real name sounded too upper class (He was born in India and was British) and changed it to George Orwell.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2003 08:49 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

i love this book! so much of what he's saying rings true, like mary shelley's frankenstein he predicts social advances...but are they good??????? LOVE this book!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2003 03:17 PM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

People can overstate the similarities between 1984 and the world we live in. Saying something is very 'Big Brother' has become a dreadful cliche and used by many people with no conception of what they are talking about.

I mean, does anyone really think that 1984 was a genuine attempt to make a What If? scenario?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 02:22 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I think it was a warning rather than a prediction

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2003 09:19 PM