KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Belle and Sebastian

Belle and Sebastian
Started by: Solo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Solo

Belle and Sebastian

mmmmmmmmmmmmhhmmm

Old Post May 31st, 2007 12:47 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

i haven't really liked any albums since dear catastrophe--and even that's a stretch--but their EP work is the best of any band i can think of. probably half of my top 15 belle and sebastian songs are off of EP's.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 01:01 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Lazy Line Painter Jane is damn good. Most of my favorites are off of If You're Feeling Sinister, though.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 01:41 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

a celebratory list of brilliant EP tracks from belle and sebastian:

dog on wheels
the state i am in (even though this was also on tigermilk)
string bean jean
belle and sebastian
lazy line painter jane
you made me forget my dreams
a century of fakers
beautiful
winter wooskie
i'm waking up
marx & engels...

...that's a damn fine track record.

i have a sneaking suspicion that the next B&S record will be their best work since arab strap. not sure why.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 07:38 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Whisper
I killed the Zeitgeist

"The Boy With The Arab Strap" is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 01:25 PM
Whisper is currently offline Click here to Send Whisper a Private Message Find more posts by Whisper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Hate them...one of the worst bands ever.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 01:50 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Honestly, I do not see what people find appealing about his band. To me, their music seems like pretentious, "artsy" music.

Shut up! It's Daddy, you shithead! Where's my bourbon?

Old Post May 31st, 2007 02:11 PM
2D_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send 2D_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by 2D_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

i only heard Step into my office - im ashamed to say but i like that a lot
any reccomendations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post May 31st, 2007 07:50 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vintageSW77
i only heard Step into my office - im ashamed to say but i like that a lot
any reccomendations?

Lazy Line Painter Jane, the boy with the arab strap, If She Wants Me, The Boy Done Wrong Again, The State I Am In

Last edited by Solo on May 31st, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2007 10:14 PM
manorastroman

Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Honestly, I do not see what people find appealing about his band. To me, their music seems like pretentious, "artsy" music.

please, do explain.

Old Post May 31st, 2007 10:28 PM
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by manorastroman
please, do explain.

Ok, just remember this is my opinion and YOU asked for it:
Belle and Sebastian to me are students of The Velvet Underground music who lack the talent and innovation to become anything significant. First off the vocals are horrible, the guitar playing is primitive, dull and lifeless. Now I am not saying I do not like any of their music, I like a song here and there. For example why can’t they make more songs like "sleep around the clock", songs that are different from their other material. One thing I cannot stand about certain bands (like Belle and Sebastian and their twin : Lady and Bird) is lack of versatility, seems like a good 80% of the songs I’ve heard is the typical poorly written dirge with extremely repetitive and dynamic lacking structure (accompanied with awful vocals). Of course maybe I’ve just heard the wrong songs, recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by 2D_MASTER on May 31st, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Old Post May 31st, 2007 11:06 PM
2D_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send 2D_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by 2D_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Ok, just remember this is my opinion and YOU asked for it:
Belle and Sebastian to me are students of The Velvet Underground music who lack the talent and innovation to become anything significant. First off the vocals are horrible, the guitar playing is primitive, dull and lifeless. Now I am not saying I do not like any of their music, I like a song here and there. For example why can’t they make more songs like "sleep around the clock", songs that are different from their other material. One thing I cannot stand about certain bands (like Belle and Sebastian and their twin : Lady and Bird) is lack of versatility, seems like a good 80% of the songs I’ve heard is the typical poorly written dirge with extremely repetitive and dynamic lacking structure (accompanied with awful vocals). Of course maybe I’ve just heard the wrong songs, recommendations are welcome.

not to be overly contentious, but belle and sebastian have almost nothing in common with the velvet underground. they're much more in line with burt bacharach and the like. as for the guitar playing, vocals, and your example of "sleep the clock around" as a good belle and sebastian song, i think it's safe to say that you don't "get it". get it?

stuart murdoch is lyrically brilliant, melodically talented, and twee as ****. what a guy.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 01:07 AM
Bardock42

Oh...by the way...I didnt listen to them ever...just thought...it would be funny

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 02:37 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

i was gonna say, one of the worst bands ever? that's a bit harsh. give them a try sometime.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 03:10 AM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Solo
i was gonna say, one of the worst bands ever? that's a bit harsh. give them a try sometime.

My last.fm constantly recommends them.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 01:00 PM
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

.....sebastian song, i think it's safe to say that you don't "get it". get it?

Oh see, as I expected, another band that only an elite few can "get". That is just fawking rich.

stuart murdoch is lyrically brilliant, melodically talented, and twee as ****. what a guy.

You're entitled to your opinion ,I think he is a musical invalid.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 01:59 PM
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

not to be overly contentious, but belle and sebastian have almost nothing in common with the velvet underground.

Just because YOU cant see it, does not mean the OBVIOUS influence is'nt there. They even covered "sunday morning" for crying out loud. I am sure any other Belle and Sebastian fan would have no problem siting Velvet underground as primary B & S influence.
(sorry that i double posted, I'm a fawk-up)

Last edited by 2D_MASTER on Jun 1st, 2007 at 02:15 PM

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 02:02 PM
manorastroman

please. explain what elements of the velvet underground are present in belle and sebastian. i see a little bit of "loaded", but that's not the sound people generally associate with velvet underground.

the "it" isn't exactly complicated. the guitar playing IS primitive, the vocals ARE thin and wimpy. that's the point. think beat happening or any other twee/lo-fi band. moreover, belle and sebastian fans haven't been an elite few since dear catastrophe. you want to talk "elite few", that's cool blue halo fans. or cub fans. or 14 iced bears fans. belle is actually pretty big.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2007 09:33 PM
Solo

hey, astroman, whatd you think of peter bjorn and john's writer's block?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2007 03:18 PM
yvonnekarate
Frank Sinatra fan

Love their music. Became a great fan of them when I saw Teachers (UK). Great music.

Regards, Yvonne

- Reader, I married him (Jane Eyre)
The happiness now, will be part of the pain then.
Teaching is an act of love.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2007 08:14 PM
yvonnekarate is currently offline Click here to Send yvonnekarate a Private Message Find more posts by yvonnekarate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote