KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Mutants: The way they work

Mutants: The way they work
Started by: The Force

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

Mutants: The way they work

hey if you could explain the x-men, and their powers fully with science how would you, could you explain why cyclops shoot that optic blast or why nightcrawler teleports?

You can make it up if you want, i 'll explain a character that i made up, alittle later thumb up

Made by the awesome transforming Hegemon
Don't mess with The Force, because I ownz you. -The Force

Crazy Christian all over your candy arse.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 06:40 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Viper
The Mack Daddy of Funk

This could be interesting. Let me see what I can come up with...

Nightcrawler - His powers could be based off of several different aspects of quantum physics, but the easiest would be that he can shift between dimensions. While we can only observe 3 dimensions, there are in reality several others that are folded upon themselves. If he was born with a dysfunction of his brain that would allow him to see these other dimensions, he could travel through them and to anywhere he wants (or anywhere he's close to anyway).

Cyclops - One could argue that his corneas have a chemical imbalance that allow them to store subatomic particles. As more and more of these particles enter the eyes, they begin to jam and heat up. Then when released, the heat travels outward in a beam of energy so dense that it can blast through most objects.

Rogue - Probably the easiest to explain, although the most far-fetched. Because of mutation, her skin cells could contain blank DNA. When in contact with other cells, it could absorb the DNA and gain the mutated powers.

I have no idea how close these are to the actual explanations (if there are any) but they're all scientifically feasable.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 07:10 PM
Viper is currently offline Click here to Send Viper a Private Message Find more posts by Viper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thorncrawler
very with the sexy W_E

shadowcat has the ability to slow down the particals in her body, alowing her to pas through thinghs!

@->--"victims arn't we all"
the glass may be half full but the bottles empty
i was with yumcarrots, now im with wicked_elphie

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 07:32 PM
thorncrawler is currently offline Click here to Send thorncrawler a Private Message Find more posts by thorncrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sandman26
old but new

or speed them up same as flash

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 07:38 PM
sandman26 is currently offline Click here to Send sandman26 a Private Message Find more posts by sandman26 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
thorncrawler
very with the sexy W_E

Quicksilver has very powerful leg muscles and so can pump them faster and therefor goes faster

@->--"victims arn't we all"
the glass may be half full but the bottles empty
i was with yumcarrots, now im with wicked_elphie

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 07:42 PM
thorncrawler is currently offline Click here to Send thorncrawler a Private Message Find more posts by thorncrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

quote:
Originally posted by thorncrawler
Quicksilver has very powerful leg muscles and so can pump them faster and therefor goes faster

or he can just move his legs faster and he's more aerodynamic

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 09:29 PM
The Force is currently offline Click here to Send The Force a Private Message Find more posts by The Force Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marcellus
executioner

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes. Cyclops's eyes are no longer the complex organic jelly that utilizes the visible spectrum of light to see the world around it. Instead, they are inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another, non-Einsteinium universe, where physical laws as we know them do not pertain. This non-Einsteinium universe is filled with particles that resemble photons, yet they interact with this universe's particles by transferring kinetic energy in the form of gravitons (the particle of gravitation). These particles generate great, directional concussive force when they interact with the objects of this universe.

Cyclops's mind has a particular psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures that have taken the place of his eyes. Because his mind's psionic field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membrane of his eyelids is sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops's eyeglasses and visor is resonant to his minds' psionic field and is similarly protected.

The width of Cyclops's eye-blast seems to be focused by his mind's psionic field with the same autonomic function that regulated his oriinal eyes' ability to focus. As Cyclops focuses, the size of the aperture changes and thus act as a valve to control the flow of particles and beam's relative power. The height of Cyclops's eye-blast is controlled by his visor's adjustable slit. His narrowest beam, about the diameter of a pencil at a distance of 4 feet has a force of about 2 pounds per square inch. His broadest beam, about 90 feet across at a distance of 50 feet, has a force of about 10 pounds per square inch. His most powerful eye-blast is a beam 4 feet across which, at a distance of 50 feet, has a force of 500 pounds per square inch. The maximum angular measurement of Cyclops's eye-blast is equivalent to a wide-angle 35mm camera lens field of view (90 degree measured diagonally, or the angle subtended by holding this magazine's pages spread open, upright at 9.5 inches from your eyes). The minimum angular measurement is equivalent to the angle that the thickness of a pencil would subtend at 4 feet (3.5 degree, about a quarter of an inch viewed at 4 feet). The beam's effective range is about 2,000 feet, at which point a 1-inch beam has spread out to 10 feet square, and then has a pressure of .38 pounds per square inch. Cyclops's maximum force is sufficient to tip over a filled 5,000 gallon tank at a distance of 20 feet, or puncture a 1-inch carbon-steel plate at a distance of 2 feet.

The extra dimensional supply of energy for Cyclops's eye-blast is practically infinite. Thus, so long as Cyclops's psionic field is active (which is constantly), there is the potential to emit energy. The only limit to the eye-blast is the mental fatigue of focusing constantly. After about 15 minute of constant usage, the psionic field subsides and allows only a slight leakage of energy to pass through the aperture. Cyclops's metabolism will recover sufficiently for him to continue in about an additional 15 minutes.

Special limitations: Due to a brain injury, Cyclops is unable to shut off his optic blasts at will and must therefore wear a visor or glasses with ruby quartz lenses that block the beams.

Equipment: The mask Cyclops wears to prevent random discharge is lined with powdered ruby quartz crystal. It incorporates two longitudinally mounted flat lenses which can lever inward providing a constantly variable exit slot of 0 inches to .79 inches in height and a constant width of 5.7 inches. The inverted clamshell mechanism is operated by a twin system of miniature electrical motors. As a safety factor their is a constant positive closing pressure provided by springs. The mask itself is made of high-impact cycolac plastic. There is an overriding finger-operated control mechanism on either side of the mask, and normal operation is through a flat micro-switch installed in the thumb of either glove.

er sorta

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 09:42 PM
Marcellus is currently offline Click here to Send Marcellus a Private Message Find more posts by Marcellus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abbita

This is gonna be one hell of a confusing thread yes Great thread but confusing big grin

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 09:44 PM
Abbita is currently offline Click here to Send Abbita a Private Message Find more posts by Abbita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
buffymitch
Colossus

Thumbs up for the force for thinking this thread up. i thought that most of the their mutations were expalined at some point. I heard this somehwere (probably on a X-DVD) Shadow cat walk through solid objects beacause she can move her cells any ways she want. For example if she want to put her hand through a wall she will shift her cells from her hand upto her arm so her hand can go through the wall. I don't know if it makes sense but it made sense when i heard it. (Ï'M BAD AT EXPLAINING)

Colossus: Every iron that eneters his mouth is stored. It enhances itself slowly. It enhances itself as he grows. so the more he grows the more powerful he gets.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:01 PM
buffymitch is currently offline Click here to Send buffymitch a Private Message Find more posts by buffymitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marcellus
executioner

any request's?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:02 PM
Marcellus is currently offline Click here to Send Marcellus a Private Message Find more posts by Marcellus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abbita

hmm, wolverine?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:03 PM
Abbita is currently offline Click here to Send Abbita a Private Message Find more posts by Abbita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Viper
The Mack Daddy of Funk

Wolverine would be easy to answer. He just has an increased metabolism that allows his cells to replicate at a high rate.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:20 PM
Viper is currently offline Click here to Send Viper a Private Message Find more posts by Viper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abbita

but what about the senses and bone claws?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:24 PM
Viper
The Mack Daddy of Funk

The high senses and high strength could be from a mutation in his adrenal gland. Instead of pumping adrenaline only during times of stress, he would recieve a constant, very potent flow.

The bone claws would come from the de-evolution of particular DNA. It would have reverted back to earlier animal cell structure and form the claws.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 10:53 PM
eristole
Me in a text box

this was actually explained in a few comics and a few x-men books..
there is an X-gene(yeah everyones heard of it..) it is just like normal
human cells except that when certain kinds of input is put into it.. a
varying output comes out with more power than what went in(which is
by all means of the physical universe impossible, because energy cant
be created or destroyed just change forms.) but i'll try to find the comic
or books in which they explained it all.. but thats from the science point
of view..

good job everyone, but venom you might want to change a few things
about cyclops.. he cannot use his optic blast's unless they are charged
up by solar energy.. (i am pretty sure its the same way for havok.) if
he goes into the morlock tunnels for instance. his powers will only work
until they have been spent or die off because they are no longer being
charged. /shrug that's just one of those wierd almost unknown facts about. his visors are actually meant to block the sun out and let it in at
certain increments which allow him to vary the size or strength of his
blasts..

Last edited by eristole on Feb 24th, 2004 at 11:13 PM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 11:09 PM
eristole is currently offline Click here to Send eristole a Private Message Find more posts by eristole Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

My character explained

Power: The ability to produce and manipulate forcefields, that affect only solid things.

His power is produced from his body, not his mind, his x-gene activates when he tenses his muscle then hib brain tells his forcefield to come out. The forcefield first comes out of the pores in his skin, and then expand out in a spherical shape, he can change the shape of the forcefield with his thoughts, and his forcefield blocks out everything that is solid. His forcefield can expand to about 100 yards, but whenever he is angry it causes his muscles to tense up more than normal, which results in his forcefield to be more powerful, come out twice as fast, and be 2 and large.

I'll explain more later, but i'll freely take questions about my charaecter

Old Post Feb 24th, 2004 11:24 PM
Marcellus
executioner

sorry bout the wait here's wolverine

Known Superhuman Powers: Wolverine is a mutant with a number of enhancements to his physiology. Wolverine possesses heightened senses, making him capable of seeing things at a maximum distance greater than that of a normal human. His hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, and he is able to recognize people and objects by scent, even if that person or object is hidden. Logan can use these enhanced senses to track anyone, with an impressive degree of success.

He possesses retractable bone claws that are housed in his forearms, they are part of his skeleton system. At will Wolverine can release these claws through his skin between the knuckles on each hand. The skin between the knuckles tears and bleeds, but bleeding is quickly halted by his healing factor. The claws are naturally sharp and tougher than that of normal human bone structure. This allows Wolverine to be able to cut through most types of flesh and natural materials. (Note: While Wolverine possessed his adamantium skeleton, his claws were able to cut through almost any material without any fear of damage to the claws.)

Lastly, Wolverine possesses an accelerated healing factor based on his physiology. While most normal humans heal injuries over a long period of time, Wolverine's healing factor speeds up that natural process. Wolverine's natural healing has been advanced to the point where he can heal extensive injuries (such as broken limbs) in a matter of hours to days. This factor gives him a higher resistance to poisons and toxins, and he can recover from almost any injury. The more extensive the injury, the longer the healing time will be.

Wolverine is not immortal, however. If the injuries are extensive enough, especially if they result in the loss of vital organs, large amounts of blood, and/or loss of physical form (such as having flesh burned away by fire or acid), Logan can die.

Wolverine, again due to his healing factor, has an enhanced resistance to disease, as well as an extended life span. Despite Wolverine's chronological age, he is still as healthy and physically fit as a man in his prime.

Abilities: Due to his extensive training as a CIA operative, a Samurai, and as a member of the Weapon X program, Wolverine is a master of multiple forms of martial arts, weapons, and vehicles. He is also a trained expert in computers, explosives, and assassination techniques.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 12:15 AM
The Force
Holy Hypocrits!

cool

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 03:02 AM
Marcellus
executioner

really anyone ask for any of marvel's character's

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 03:03 AM
Herr Logan
Critical Bastard

You should all be aware that there is a book called "The Science of the X-Men." I own it, and I can't say it's the most interesting read, but some characters' entries are kinda cool. Several potential answers for selected X-Men are in there.

I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2004 01:52 PM
Herr Logan is currently offline Click here to Send Herr Logan a Private Message Find more posts by Herr Logan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote