KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Significance of Trinity's name

Significance of Trinity's name
Started by: BioLogos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BioLogos

Significance of Trinity's name

This has been bugging me for a while, so here goes:

What is the significance of Trinity's name?

Obviously, there is a generic Christian reference, but given the importance of her character and the multiple levels of meaning in the names of other characters, I can’t help believing that the significance of her name is not much more specific.

Here are several points to consider:

1) One obvious but confusing point is that "The Trinity" is the conventional Christian concept of God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Of course, as Omega and others have pointed out multiple times, this movie is not Christian per se, but does use religious ideas and references from various sources to provide direction to our interpretation. So, what is this telling us????

2) It seems to be a consensus that Trinity’s existence, or at least Trinity’s relationship with Neo, is what makes this iteration of The Matrix different from others.

3) It seems that love, and its effects on our choices, is one of the strongest recurring themes in The Matrix movies (not only Neo and Trin, but Sati, the Oracle...).

4) There is the trite but perhaps relevant (Christian? Other religions?) phrase "God is Love"...

5) While it is obvious that we are supposed to see Neo as a Christ figure at a variety of levels, it can also be said that Trinity sacrifices herself

Where does this leave (lead??) us??? What else is missing???

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Old Post Jan 6th, 2004 06:18 AM
BioLogos is currently offline Click here to Send BioLogos a Private Message Find more posts by BioLogos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Real
I have more tech than you

jus an added input, trinity dies, and comes back to life (via neo) so maybe its trinity that is more christ-like than neo. jus a thought.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2004 06:50 AM
Real is currently offline Click here to Send Real a Private Message Find more posts by Real Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mook

dictionary.com;

"1.A group consisting of three closely related members.
2.Trinity Theology. In most Christian faiths, the union of three divine persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one God. Also called Trine."

the group of three closely related members is Morpheus,Neo and Trinity.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2004 03:31 PM
mook is currently offline Click here to Send mook a Private Message Find more posts by mook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BioLogos

Can anyone else help out with the question of what we are supposed to take from the fact that Trinity is named Trinity?

As everyone here knows (much better than I do), most (all?) names in these movies were chosen very carefully, and they generally have very specific meanings. I find it unlikely that the name of such a central character was not chosen just as carefully.

So, the obvious reference is the "father, son, and holy spirit" "Trinity" , but WHY?

Mook, your suggestion ("the group of three closely related members is Morpheus,Neo and Trinity") is very interesting, but it seems strange that this would be all "The Bros" meant by Trinity's name, given all the OTHER names.

Perhaps we are barking up the wrong tree. Does the word "Trinity" show up in any other contexts?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 03:41 AM
BioLogos is currently offline Click here to Send BioLogos a Private Message Find more posts by BioLogos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trinity Plushie

I've never posted here yet, but I've been trying to find meaning behind the reason Trinity's name for some time so I'll just put my own two cents in. I have two suggestions for this:

The first is based on the Holy Trinity idea, but I think it could mean the people closest to Trinity: Morpheus, Neo, and Ghost. Morpheus is the Father because he was the father figure to her, Neo is the Son because of the whole Christ reference, and Ghost is the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost as it is also known as, and he has a sibling like relationship to her.

Another was that I read somewhere about the number 13 meaning rebirth and transformation. 13 is mabe up of one and three: Neo and Trinity. When Trinity tells Neo she loves him, it transforms him into the One... and the one and three are united to form the 13.

But this could just be a load of BS, but I don't really know what else to say about the subject.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 06:19 AM
Trinity Plushie is currently offline Click here to Send Trinity Plushie a Private Message Find more posts by Trinity Plushie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BioLogos

Trinity Plushie, your number idea seems exactly like the type of thing that would help "The Bros" chose a name. Thanks!

I have to find out more about Ghost. I had no idea he was an important character, although after reading threads on him I see that I really DO need to see The Animatrix. I can't even figure out who he is! Does anyone have a picture?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2004 07:47 AM
S_D_J
Bane

trinity plushie>nice theory

biologos> there's nothing about ghost in the animatrix, all the info you'd like is in ETM

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jan 10th, 2004 04:04 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

Blade:Trinity comes out this year

Old Post Jan 10th, 2004 04:07 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediHDM
Jedi of the Matrix

I think that we can see it as, Trinity is the third and final piece of the core group, of Neo, Morpheus and Trinity, but you can also think about it like, she performs, in different occasions, acts similar to all three parts of the Trinity, aka as the Holy Ghost, she meets Neo and sets him on his path (in the club), as Christ, she dies and comes back to life, and as Father, she is love, and she also outranks Neo ("I am the commanding officer on this ship...")

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!
KMC KGB

Old Post Jan 11th, 2004 06:18 PM
JediHDM is currently offline Click here to Send JediHDM a Private Message Find more posts by JediHDM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TOH
Dude, where is my car?

Trinity, closely meaning the number 3, is also the name of Korg Trinity synthesisers big grin. As we know, also, number 3's appear on several pillars when Morpheus, Neo and trinity reach the subway in the' maTRIx'. Furthermore, she first appears in the maTRIx in room 303.
However, there are many other wierd and wonderful coincidences that arise with her character and perhaps brings light to the significance of 'Trinity'. Most notably, Carrie-Anne explains the significance as a representation of the 'combination' of her, Keanu and Laurence. Christian Theology suggest the 'unity' of the Father (Morpheus?), the Son (Neo?) and the Holy Spirit (Trinity).

Made by the awesome BakaXero

Old Post Jan 11th, 2004 09:20 PM
TOH is currently offline Click here to Send TOH a Private Message Find more posts by TOH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote