KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » James Bond Series » Carver: a real threat?

Carver: a real threat?
Started by: yerssot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

Carter: a real threat?

As you people will probably know, in Tomorrow Never Dies (yes, the one with Terri Hatcher, aka Lois Lane wink), the mainvillain was mister Carter.

That Carter owned Carter Media Network and could reach millions of people and influence them...

Do you think this threat is real? Do you think it's possible in the "real world", or was it all farfetched?
Have far will someone go to make the news to get the scoops?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2004 10:26 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P
living bank advertisement

Wasn't he called Carver ?

I don't think media have such power. I can't speak for every country (for I've seen the movie "Wag the dog"), but here in France, even if they can clearly manipulate the general audience, they cannot modify the reality.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2004 11:53 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

darn, I do that everytime messed yeah, it's carver, carter is someone else messed

what if they can influence the audience in such a way they can create a riot? than they can alter reality in some way

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 12:04 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
G.P

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
what if they can influence the audience in such a way they can create a riot? than they can alter reality in some way
this should be a walk in the park for them... shifty

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 05:16 PM
G.P is currently offline Click here to Send G.P a Private Message Find more posts by G.P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

for the audience to find it out?
or are you refering to mission impossible? stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 05:25 PM
G.P

I just mean that manipulating the way people perceive reality is very easy !

but yes I was refering to MiII

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:19 PM
yerssot

so, if you control a lot of media, you can manipulate so much that you can just say what you want and gain more power, no?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:29 PM
G.P

Erm, not really... You have to be subtle.
I could be very provocative by taking the example of the big American networks ...
I don't think media can really create their own reality. Just modify the real one...But that's more and more difficult because of the globalisation of information

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:35 PM
yerssot

are you sure? if you own a lot of networks with tv, radio, newspapers etc. I think you can go very far in making people believe what YOU want, to a certain extent you can also influence people who surf the web frequently

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:37 PM
G.P

No, because of the more and more numerous sources (CNN/Al Jazirah, French Media/American Media/BBC) +++ Internet... it becomes difficult to impose a single point of view

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:43 PM
yerssot

well, place CNN against Al Jazirah, they will always say Al Jazirah is utterly wrong in their comments

and when you own like Warner (I think it's them) a few tv channels, radios, newspapers, ... it's one against many and people will believe the many (also cause they're from either their own country or have a better name

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:48 PM
G.P

In France I've never heard anyone saying that Al Jazirah was wrong just because it was Al Jazirah...
roll eyes (sarcastic)

And yes actually, My name is better than yours so people will trust me more easily ! erm

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:53 PM
yerssot

till you say you're french wink

all I mean, is that the country of residence of a station heavily influence the people, especially if they're from the same country, and with Carver having so much, most people would believe him

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 07:57 PM
The Redeemer

Re: Carter: a real threat?

quote:
As you people will probably know, in Tomorrow Never Dies (yes, the one with Terri Hatcher, aka Lois Lane wink), the mainvillain was mister Carter.

That Carter owned Carter Media Network and could reach millions of people and influence them...

Do you think this threat is real? Do you think it's possible in the "real world", or was it all farfetched?
Have far will someone go to make the news to get the scoops?

One has only to look to the UK to realise that Carver isn't such a fantasy figure after all. A certain Rupert Murdock has all the megolomaniac attributes Carver has, the only problem being he's in the "real" as opposed to "reel" world... sad

And I'd bet a hefty wager that that's exactly who Carver's character is based on!

Peter Gabriel - SLEDGEHAMMER.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 06:52 PM
The Redeemer is currently offline Click here to Send The Redeemer a Private Message Find more posts by The Redeemer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

what does this Murdock own exactly?

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 07:29 PM
The Redeemer

quote:
what does this Murdock own exactly?

BskyB - Britain's ONLY satellite television network , The Sun and News Of The World newspapers - the bibles for those that are angry, a little twisted and a bit mentally short of a six pack if you get my drift - and FOX Television in the US...

I'm not quite up to date on his LATEST acquisitions... sad

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 10:23 PM
The Redeemer is currently offline Click here to Send The Redeemer a Private Message Find more posts by The Redeemer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

those guys that own CNN, think it was WB? those have a LOT of media in hands!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 10:27 PM
The Redeemer

quote:
those guys that own CNN, think it was WB? those have a LOT of media in hands!

Yeah but when BskyB has loads of news channels on it... sick

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 10:29 PM
yerssot

sorry, don't know BskyB smile

have you noticed them spreading false info?

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 10:31 PM
The Redeemer

quote:
sorry, don't know BskyB smile

have you noticed them spreading false info?

Ahem! False? confused Let's just say ammended to their own ends... wink

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 10:35 PM