KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » tolkien was a funny guy lol

tolkien was a funny guy lol
Started by: The Inkeeper

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Inkeeper

tolkien was a funny guy lol

Tolkien Quotes

"I think if a jinn came and gave me a wish -- what would you really like? -- I should reply: Nothing. Go away!"

"I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language...it does seem such a mad hobby!"

"I am in fact a Hobbit, in all but size...I like gardens, trees...I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unregrigerated), but detest French cooking..."

"My friends at school...called me John, or occasionally...J.R2."

"When is Vol. III [Return of the King] likely now to appear? I shall be murdered if something does not happen soon."

"To ask if the Orcs 'are' Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs."

"Do you think Shelob is a good name for a monstrous spider creature?...it seems to be quite noisome..."

"I have always found cricket a bore: chiefly, though, because I was not good at it."

"Remember your guardian angel. Not a plump lady with swan-wings!"

"I met the Lúthien Tinúviel of my own personal 'romance' with her long dark hair, fair face and starry eyes, and beautiful voice..."

"I do not dislike spiders particulary, and have no urge to kill them. I usually rescue those whom I find in the bath!"

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:32 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PippinTook
Billeh <3

laughing out loud Funny haha.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:38 PM
PippinTook is currently offline Click here to Send PippinTook a Private Message Find more posts by PippinTook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Re: tolkien was a funny guy lol

quote:
Originally posted by sauron
"To ask if the Orcs 'are' Communists is to me as sensible as asking if Communists are Orcs."

"I have always found cricket a bore: chiefly, though, because I was not good at it."

"I met the Lúthien Tinúviel of my own personal 'romance' with her long dark hair, fair face and starry eyes, and beautiful voice..."

"I do not dislike spiders particulary, and have no urge to kill them. I usually rescue those whom I find in the bath!"

1. LOL laughing

2. ROFLMAO laughing out loud

3. In fact on his gravestone he has written "Beren" under his name and his wife has "Lúthien" smile

4. lol stick out tongue cute... I thought he had arachnophobia because of that spider in south africa when he was some years old stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:49 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

And what he said to CS Lewis when they were in the Inklings,

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge."

big grin

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:50 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

well apparently he doesnt stick out tongue he saved them big grin

i can remember when i fought shelob with sting (shelob being huge house spider and sting being a rather large needle) hard battle...but i won......just

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:53 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PippinTook
Billeh <3

quote:
i can remember when i fought shelob with sting (shelob being huge house spider and sting being a rather large needle) hard battle...but i won......just

Oh, that's funny, sauron stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:56 PM
PippinTook is currently offline Click here to Send PippinTook a Private Message Find more posts by PippinTook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

Re: tolkien was a funny guy lol

quote:

laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:56 PM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

funny it was true! remember i told you all in the tig party

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:57 PM
PippinTook
Billeh <3

I haven't been to the tig party in a while, so no.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 07:58 PM
The Inkeeper

it was before it hit one hunred pages lol so it was a looong time ago

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 08:00 PM
eezy45
Winter is coming

laughing out loud then i am sure i did not read it stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 08:01 PM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PippinTook
Billeh <3

Oh well I don't remember it haha. Yeah, I stopped looking at the tig party thread after it hit 200 haha. Too many pages to read. I stop by some times though.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 08:07 PM
eezy45
Winter is coming

yea its the biggest thread ever stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 08:10 PM
PippinTook
Billeh <3

Most definately. It's possibly the biggest thread on this forum stick out tongue How many pages is it now? 600? 700? haha.

Oops, sorry, we're getting way off topic.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 08:36 PM
The Inkeeper

it is 10054 last time i checked

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 6th, 2004 08:42 PM
shadowy_blue

Tolkien's witty humor could also be proven by the hilarious quotes in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books. big grin laughing

Some examples: These crack me up everytime I read them:

1) This is when Aragorn, Gimli, and Gandalf discover Merry and Pippin and start asking them lots of questions (in The Two Towers) "One thing you have not found in your hunting, and that's brighter wits"- that's Pippin.

2) "You don't know your danger, Theoden, These hobbits will sit on the dge of ruin and discuss the pleasures of the table, or the small doings of their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers and remoter cousins to the ninth degree, if you encourage them with undue patience."-Gandalf

3)"Are we riding far tonight, Gandalf? I don't know how you feel with a small rag-tag dangling behind you; but the rag-tag is tired and will be glad to stop dangling and lie down."- Merry

4)Merry: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger
Pippin: But our whole life for months has been one long meddling in the affairs of Wizards!

5)Pippin: All right! . . . I know I can't have it, with old Gandalf sitting on it, like a hen on an egg. But it doesn't help much to get no more from you than a you-can't-have-it so go-to-sleep!
Merry: Well, what else could I say? I'm sorry, Pippin, but you really must wait until the morning. I'll be as curious as you like after breakfast, and I'll help in anyway I can at wizard-wheedling. But I can't keep awake any longer. If I yawn any more, I shall split at the ears. Good night!

6: Sam: Not a bird!
Gollum: No, no birds. Nice birds! No birds here. There are snakeses, wormses, things in the pools. Lots of things, lots of nasty things. No birds,

7) Sam: What's the need to sniff? The stink nearly knocks me down with my nose held. You stink, and the master stinks; the whole place stinks.
Gollum: Yes, yes, and Sam stinks!!

laughing Sam has a lot of hilarious one-liners in the book and his funny debates with Gollum never fail to crack me up everytime. laughing

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 01:56 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by shadowy_blue
"One thing you have not found in your hunting, and that's brighter wits"

"You don't know your danger, Theoden, These hobbits will sit on the dge of ruin and discuss the pleasures of the table, or the small doings of their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers and remoter cousins to the ninth degree, if you encourage them with undue patience."

Pippin: But our whole life for months has been one long meddling in the affairs of Wizards!

Gollum: Yes, yes, and Sam stinks!!

laughing laughing laughing

LOL I absolutely cant remember the last quote... which chapter was that?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 09:42 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

A true Brit sad

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 12:02 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Sam stinks was in the BBC production too, when they were in the Dead Marshes or thereabouts.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 12:19 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

I always thought of him to have a sense of humour, I mean checks all the "freaky deaky" characters he created....and all of the amusing quotes which are used by the characters

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Mar 7th, 2004 01:23 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote