KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Dr. Hank MCcoy?

Dr. Hank MCcoy?
Started by: Icicle

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Icicle
Wild Mage

Dr. Hank MCcoy?

I'm waching X2 and the scene in the bar with Mystique giving the guard some metal, there is a tv and on the TV there was a guy talking and underneath it said he was Dr. Hank MCcoy. but he wasn't blue nor did he have fur!

Was that a movie mistake?

Old Post May 30th, 2006 06:59 PM
Icicle is currently offline Click here to Send Icicle a Private Message Find more posts by Icicle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Icicle
I'm waching X2 and the scene in the bar with Mystique giving the guard some metal, there is a tv and on the TV there was a guy talking and underneath it said he was Dr. Hank MCcoy. but he wasn't blue nor did he have fur!

Was that a movie mistake?

It was a Bryan Singer mistake. But...Hank McCoy didn't always have fur nor was he blue.

According to X3 though Beast used to be on the X-Men long ago and had an outfit made for his bulk, so it's still a mistake in X2.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:01 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mYsTiquE_DuDe

He wasn't with fur because he hadn't take the Cure then..it was out of question..

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:28 PM
mYsTiquE_DuDe is currently offline Click here to Send mYsTiquE_DuDe a Private Message Find more posts by mYsTiquE_DuDe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by mYsTiquE_DuDe
He wasn't with fur because he hadn't take the Cure then..it was out of question..

The Dr. McCoy seen in X2 was not anywhere near a Beast form (with or without fur). It was a mistake.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:35 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

We don't everything of what Hank was doing in the X-Men movie universe. He could have had his secondary mutation from the time that interview happened, to where he is at the beginning of X3.
And if the character there isn't played by Kelsey Grammar - so what? We've had three different actresses playing Kitty Pryde, and two playing Pyro. I'm not hung up over some background players.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:39 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by roughrider
We don't everything of what Hank was doing in the X-Men movie universe. He could have had his secondary mutation from the time that interview happened, to where he is at the beginning of X3.
And if the character there isn't played by Kelsey Grammar - so what? We've had three different actresses playing Kitty Pryde, and two playing Pyro. I'm not hung up over some background players.

*points back to my first post in this thread*

Read it...like I said in X3 we learn that Beast used to be on the X-Men and had a uniform made to fit his Beast size. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:45 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by LanceWindu
*points back to my first post in this thread*

Read it...like I said in X3 we learn that Beast used to be on the X-Men and had a uniform made to fit his Beast size. roll eyes (sarcastic)

But do we know how much time had taken place in between the films?

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:46 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by H. S. 6
But do we know how much time had taken place in between the films?

Between X2 and X3? A year at most.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:47 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Between X2 and X3? A year at most.

So I suppose there might've been enough time for Beast to go through his secondary mutation (whatever the hell makes him blue), join the X-Men, and then maybe have to give it up because of the political role he obtained.

Or, if what you're saying is true, and it's simply a mistake, wouldn't it be Ratner's mistake?

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:49 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

So I suppose there might've been enough time for Beast to go through his secondary mutation (whatever the hell makes him blue), join the X-Men, and then maybe have to give it up because of the political role he obtained.

Or, if what you're saying is true, and it's simply a mistake, wouldn't it be Ratner's mistake?

Very doubtful. Not when in the movie he makes mention of how the suit used to fit him...as he's gotten older it's a little tight.

It's a mistake between both Ratner and Singer. I'm sure Singer was going to have him in X3 anyways...

Old Post May 30th, 2006 07:54 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Very doubtful. Not when in the movie he makes mention of how the suit used to fit him...as he's gotten older it's a little tight.

It's a mistake between both Ratner and Singer. I'm sure Singer was going to have him in X3 anyways...

True, true.

I don't think we can assume Singer was going to include Beast in X3 (unless, of course, he had said he was going to). At least he knew how to keep the number of mutants in the movie down to an agreeable amount. erm

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:03 PM
systemshock2

I found this neat little bit of trivia on the matter. I hope this helps give an idea as to what Bryan Singer might've had in mind when it came to Beast.

--------------------------------------------------

Source: IMDB

Initially, during the "Dark Cerebro" scene where it is attempting to kill all mutants, Bryan Singer had planned to show not only Cerebro's effects on the mutants in the Alkali Base, but mutants all over the world. During this scene, Hank McCoy, aka Beast (Steve Bacic), as seen earlier on the television during the bar scene, was to be shown in agony, transforming into his furry form, and fan-favorite Gambit was to be shown at a card game having his energy powers flare up. This scene was actually shot, using one of Hugh Jackman's stunt men, James Bamford as a stand-in for the role, shot from behind to remain ambiguous. For whatever reason, Singer decided to cut this sequence altogether and it remains unseen

Best rivalry ever!

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:08 PM
systemshock2 is currently offline Click here to Send systemshock2 a Private Message Find more posts by systemshock2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by systemshock2
Source: IMDB

Initially, during the "Dark Cerebro" scene where it is attempting to kill all mutants, Bryan Singer had planned to show not only Cerebro's effects on the mutants in the Alkali Base, but mutants all over the world. During this scene, Hank McCoy, aka Beast (Steve Bacic), as seen earlier on the television during the bar scene, was to be shown in agony, transforming into his furry form, and fan-favorite Gambit was to be shown at a card game having his energy powers flare up. This scene was actually shot, using one of Hugh Jackman's stunt men, James Bamford as a stand-in for the role, shot from behind to remain ambiguous. For whatever reason, Singer decided to cut this sequence altogether and it remains unseen

So, if this can be trusted, it's a Ratner mistake, through and through.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:11 PM
LanceWindu

So, if this can be trusted, it's a Ratner mistake, through and through.

They filmed the Gambit scene, not the one of Beast...and since it was not in the film it's non-canon. It's still a join mistake.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:14 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

They filmed the Gambit scene, not the one of Beast...and since it was not in the film it's non-canon. It's still a join mistake.

But aren't you assuming that Singer would have included Beast in the next one, with blue fur and all, and then not explain it?

Ratner's the one who had the Beast who had once been an X-Man years earlier. He should've known that Hank McCoy had already appeared in the X-Men films, without his blue fur, so as to avoid including him and making the mistake of not explaining how he got there/how he got his blue fur...

Unless I'm confused...

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:18 PM
LanceWindu

But aren't you assuming that Singer would have included Beast in the next one, with blue fur and all, and then not explain it?

Ratner's the one who had the Beast who had once been an X-Man years earlier. He should've known that Hank McCoy had already appeared in the X-Men films, without his blue fur, so as to avoid including him and making the mistake of not explaining how he got there/how he got his blue fur...

Unless I'm confused...

I didn't say that, now did I? I always assumed that we would see Hank McCoy at the start of X3 and then he would become the Beast we all know and love. Which is how I assume Singer would have done it as well.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:20 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I didn't say that, now did I? I always assumed that we would see Hank McCoy at the start of X3 and then he would become the Beast we all know and love. Which is how I assume Singer would have done it as well.

No, I'm not saying you did; I'm trying to understand why you think including the Beast in X3 and saying that he had already been an X-Man (even though we had already seen Hank McCoy, furless, in X2) is, at all, Singer's mistake. Wouldn't that be entirely Ratner's fault?

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:25 PM
LanceWindu

No, I'm not saying you did; I'm trying to understand why you think including the Beast in X3 and saying that he had already been an X-Man (even though we had already seen Hank McCoy, furless, in X2) is, at all, Singer's mistake. Wouldn't that be entirely Ratner's fault?

Because viewing it as a trilogy now, Hank McCoy is now a main character. It's Singer's fault for wanting to throw a useless cameo in and not having the character even look remotely close to his mutant form. His hands and feet are supposed to be huge even without the fur.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:27 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Because viewing it as a trilogy now, Hank McCoy is now a main character. It's Singer's fault for wanting to throw a useless cameo in and not having the character even look remotely close to his mutant form. His hands and feet are supposed to be huge even without the fur.

Aah, I thought you were saying it was Singer's mistake that Ratner didn't explain Beast correctly.

I guess the cameo can be called Singer's mistake, then, if you want a movie that's just like the comics.

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:30 PM
LanceWindu

Aah, I thought you were saying it was Singer's mistake that Ratner didn't explain Beast correctly.

I guess the cameo can be called Singer's mistake, then, if you want a movie that's just like the comics.

I am one of the fans that doesn't want the films to be just like the comics, but if you're going to nod to them...you should do it properly. stick out tongue

Old Post May 30th, 2006 08:32 PM