KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Can Visual Novels be considered Anime?

Can Visual Novels be considered Anime?
Started by: danteiscool

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
danteiscool

Can Visual Novels be considered Anime?

Just like the title says. This thread is actually 3 fold:

1. I'm genuinely curious to see if you guys think VNs can be considered anime.

2. This is meant to see just what kinds of VNs any of you try to keep up with or actually play, etc.

and 3. This is to also help potentially expand the Anime vs. forum by allowing in a whole new plethora of characters. In this respect, please list any/all VNs you know of that have action, that way any characters from there can be used in the vs. forum.

For example, I keep up with the Fortissimo VN series (Fortissimo Akkord Bsusvier, Nachsten Phase, Kadenz Fermata).

Old Post Dec 19th, 2014 06:53 PM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

No, I would not consider Visual Novels anime.

Fate/stay night for example is a VN, but has no animation. Just still frames, I think. With no animation, it can not be anime.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2014 08:30 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

In that case, can their material, for lack of a better way to put it, qualify enough to be used here on the anime/manga forum and vs. forum?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2014 11:11 PM
danteiscool is currently offline Click here to Send danteiscool a Private Message Find more posts by danteiscool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Well technically I think it should belong in video game versus or, if used against anime characters, foreign cinema (which is used for the All Versus forum).

That said, the mods basically don't give a single **** anymore so hey man, knock yourself out.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 01:35 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

They generally speaking are closest to video games, especially as several have actual gameplay elements. I mean Visual Novels actually covers a wide range of things with varying design philosophies (kinetic novels farthest from gaming and things like 999 and Danganronpa considered full on games). As a whole I don't think it fits nicely into anything but gaming is closest.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Last edited by Lek Kuen on Dec 21st, 2014 at 04:06 PM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 04:00 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

Nemebro: I guess I'll give it a shot soon enough. Just have to think up matches.

Lek Kuen: you and Nemebro make good points. Well, at any rate, I'll still give making matches with them a try...

In which case, any VNs you two (or others) could recommend using in any vs. forum here?

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 09:26 PM
NemeBro

Shit I don't know man. The only VN I'm even sort of familiar with is Fate/stay night.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 09:28 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Not many of the ones I am familiar with have any real feats.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 09:31 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

The Marvel ones were ok, I don't like the medium personally though.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 10:21 PM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
danteiscool

Nemebro: I see. I think a lot of other people are in the same boat as you too.

Lek Kuen: think you can just list the names anyway? I'm rather intrigued by which ones you know of.

Pym-ftw: Marvel ones? Really?

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2014 10:28 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I'd have to really look through everything haven't messed with any recently outside of basically handheld more gamey ones like the aforementioned 99,dangonronpa, and phoenix wright.

I have Fate/Stay and Saya no Uta or whatever it's called. And really just random shit, mostly mystery stuff and not action heavy things people tell me to download.

Isn't Stein's Gate pretty popular currently? Any feats in that

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 01:11 AM
danteiscool

I see. Alright then.

Yeah, it's pretty popular. No real action (as far as my knowledge goes), but it does involve some pretty crazy time technology or something iirc.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 01:50 AM