KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Shattered Glass

Review: Shattered Glass
Started by: MrGlass

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MrGlass
Peanut

Shattered Glass

I Liked Shattered Glass. I thought I was going to dislike it but I was quite a good movie. The thing I like most in the movie was hayden christensen's performance in it. From the movies Ive seen him in, his acting wanes in certain places. But it seems as though he refined his acting skills and took a head dive into the character and played it out. This is his best performance yet, and its very early in his career. So I give this movie a solid 85% rating.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2003 04:55 AM
MrGlass is currently offline Click here to Send MrGlass a Private Message Find more posts by MrGlass Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Shattered Glass

The film shattered glass revolves around a 24 year old journalist who writes for the Washington based ‘The New Republic’. Funny that this journalist is played by Hayden Christensen who is also meant to feature as Darth Vader in George Lucas’s film ‘Revenge of the Sith’ thus playing a big role in bringing down a republic and forming an empire.

Based on a true story, Steven Glass, cooked almost more than half of his articles (27/41 exactly) during his 3 years at the post. Those so entertaining stories helped him deceive his workmates as a brilliant writer with an acute sense of smell for a potential story brewing up in Washington. This trust he obtained by backing up the lies with other lies and those lies with more lies. Basically as he puts it, Part A is a ¾ truth, which he then supports with a ½ truth which is further backed with a ¾ virtual yet appealing fabrication.

The words “I’ll get my notes” and “are you mad at me?” are common from Glass. The former buys him time for him to back his lie with another lie and the latter inspires colleagues’ sympathy by duping them in making a hasty decision. Prejudice.

As per a journalist modus operandi goes he needs to supply his sources with his article that goes to the editor, then goes to the writers then goes to the publisher …..Etc. and spends a good deal of time like a table-tennis ball coming & going, until the article gets refined and tuned (for errors factual and spelling) for it to be a presentable one for the Mag. Then finally goes to the publisher.

Glass’s world came crumbling down when the article regarding hackers was examined by ‘Forbes Online Tool’ an online journalism site. With search engines, the role of Stephen Zahn, searches for the phantom, major software, Californian based company ‘Junkt’ to no avail. Other items of the article did not copy. No names, no places, no conferences in buildings, no nothing.

As Glass’s editor, Chuck Lane (Peter Sarsgaard) finds out the possible threat on the magazine he isa now an editor, he pushes Stephen for answers, evidence and undeniable proof. The reputation of a magazine is at stake. Nothing matches. Every lie Glass makes up is dissolved by Lane’s prompt action to verify. It then transpires that most of the articles by Stephen Glass are fabricated.

Hayden Christensen is very good in this role, yet he doesn’t seem to match the versatility of actors his age as all we have seen him is as Anakin Skywalker. His attempt to yellm, distrought and with his back against the wall, actually feels like an empty man trying to voice a power he cannot possess. Shattered Glass.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Dec 25th, 2004 11:06 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Hayden was whiny as usual. It was Saarsgard's movie, not that even he would want to admit to it.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 02:00 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 06:04 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote