KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Does Anyone Hate Chuck Austen?

Does Anyone Hate Chuck Austen?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, He's a terrible writer 6 46.15%
No, He's a great writer 1 7.69%
I don't know who he is 4 30.77%
Chuck Austen Sucks! 2 15.38%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I absolutely despise Chuck Austen. He is one the worst writers to appear in comics. For some reason he is recruited to write a large number of comics.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 10:39 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nathaniel Grey
THE MAN CALLED CABLE

Austen and Morrison. They might do well elsewhere but they weren't at all creative when they came to write X-Men.

"I want to save the world and I have the power to do it." -- Cable.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 12:22 AM
Nathaniel Grey is currently offline Click here to Send Nathaniel Grey a Private Message Find more posts by Nathaniel Grey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
platinumx

I hate him so much, I hope he blows his hands off in a terrible fireworks accident.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 01:41 AM
platinumx is currently offline Click here to Send platinumx a Private Message Find more posts by platinumx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I disagree with the statement about Grant Morrison. If anything, he was too creative. It took multiple readings to understand what exactly was going on.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 02:42 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

can someone tell me what they've worked on please?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 02:49 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Morrison did the brilliant run on New X-Men before reload. Although there were two factions about it. Those that liked it, those that hated it. However one must agree, Morrison is a good writer, unlike Austen, who turns out nigh unreadable tripe in every endeavor.

Austen has some great ideas at times, which is really too bad, because his execution of said ideas sucks something fierce. He worked on Uncanny before reload, and on X-Men afterwards, though he's left now, and Milligan (of former X-Statix notoriety) has taken over as of #166. Austen's scripting is shit, his characterization is shit, he survives only on the wings of talented artists that get paired with him (i.e. Larroca) and .25 cent promo issues.

While we're on the subject of craptastic X-writers, god, Claremont, retire already. You did great work...20 years ago. Now it's time for grandpa to get in the wheel chair, and never, ever, think about leaving it. If he never touched another writing implement in his life, the heavens would sing joyous praise.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 03:32 AM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sage Tessa
[ cyberpathic ]

I'd much rather read Claremont than Austen any day...
Even if he does say "totally" too much...

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 06:49 PM
Sage Tessa is currently offline Click here to Send Sage Tessa a Private Message Find more posts by Sage Tessa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Yes, I'll usually take Claremont over Austen. One of Austen's main problems is, he can't write women at all. Now, I don't know, maybe he is some sort of sex god and women routinely rip off their shirts and throw themselves upon him, but on average, that doesn't happen to any man on the planet besides Hugh Heffner. Take his arc, King Hyperion on the Exiles. Carol Danvers/Warbird/Ms. Marvel/what-have-you, basically throws herself on top of him in a flurry of horrid sexual innuendos and entendre's. Then at some point her shirt is really ripped off and their relationship is...erm...consummated.

WTF Austen? That doesn't happen!

At least Claremont was good a few decades ago. Even if he is "Bootay totally spaz!" Now.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2005 11:05 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sage Tessa
[ cyberpathic ]

Word...

For more Austen-inspired female "etiquette," I direct you to UXM #435...

"She-Hulk says that she is a Yankee and Giant’s fan and that Matsui should have been Rookie of the year in her opinion before smirking and asking Cain what his opinion on women’s rights is. Cain smiles back.

Later still, in what is possibly a hotel room, the bed legs are broken, and the bed crashed to the cracked floor. The bedside table has been knocked over, the wall-hanging is tilted, while the wall itself has what is possibly a crack from a fist-punch in it. Lying on the bed with the She-Hulk next to him, Cain says ‘Sometimes women are just plain better than men’."

Excuse me while I throw up...

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:29 AM
Sage Tessa is currently offline Click here to Send Sage Tessa a Private Message Find more posts by Sage Tessa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

that really happened?

thats a f*cking joke (pardon my language)

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 12:32 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sage Tessa
[ cyberpathic ]

quote:
Originally posted by pr1983
that really happened?

Sadly, yes...

quote:
Originally posted by pr1983
thats a f*cking joke (pardon my language)

Why not?
I have every other time...

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 01:33 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

ouch, apologies tessa...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 01:35 AM
Sage Tessa
[ cyberpathic ]

No problem, pr... wink

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:00 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

ok... and call me paul...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:02 AM
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Actually, She-Hulk shacking up with someone on a whim isn't so out of character, I direct you to the first few issues of her current series where she is, quite plainly, a massive party animal.

The real problem for that with me, was that it was Shulkie and Cain, she made a big deal in Heroes For Hire that she doesn't date Cons, when she and Luke Cage had a fling. Even if he was "reformed" Cain still had a long way to go, whereas Cage had been wrongly convicted in the first place, and was far from a crook. Also, the whole pseudo-intellectual thing was just a crock. "Yes, my beloved of 15 minutes, lets discuss politics and world problems while snuggling after a night of voracious meta-human love making."

Though we both find it to be crap for different reasons, it is crap all the same.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:06 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

oh its not the fact that she slept with someone, its the fact that it was cain marko...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:08 AM
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

In that instance yes, but in most other handlings of women, Austen does characterize them as psycho sluts.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:14 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

thats bad... really bad...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:15 AM
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Yeah. Oh well, he's off to ruin greener pastures, as Marvel's changed it's policy and he feels that he can no longer work to his full creative output under said new policies. Good riddance I say.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:17 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i think your right...

btw what new policies?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2005 02:22 AM