KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Criterion Thread

Criterion Thread
Started by: Dr. Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession
I only got the 1 disc criterion edition of Life Aquatic, worth getting the 2 disc version because I adore the film.

Yeah, genius film and so cheap, there are 3 documentaries and heaps of other stuff on the 2 disc edition. And a brilliant and hilarious interview with Wes and the screenwriter on some italian film tv show, not sure if its a parody or not, it has to be seen to be believed, on second thoughts it has to be a parody

Old Post Mar 13th, 2006 09:42 AM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Head up everyone!

Criterion will release a NEW SE 3 disc set for Seven Samurai and will be also re-lease Brazil in September. Rumors are flying that CC will be re-release certain editions previously out of stock. Keep an eye on certain titles. I'm crossing my fingers that John Woo's The Killers and Salo will be included. However, at this point these are only rumors.

btw-yes, CC has a new look.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jul 19th, 2006 at 01:10 AM

Old Post Jul 19th, 2006 01:08 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

The new "look" to the criterion is terrible.

Looking forward to a new release of Silence of the Lambs.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2006 03:28 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Hhuh? Criterion lost the rights to that movie a looooong time ago, and I don't expect they'll ever revisit it. Their edition of that movie was horrible to begin with, picture wise. The only really decent aspect of it was the Demme/Foster/Hopkins commentary.

Older Criterion releases have a tendency to be a good bit overrated, just because of the name sake.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2006 03:34 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Head up everyone!

Criterion will release a NEW SE 3 disc set for Seven Samurai and will be also re-lease Brazil in September. Rumors are flying that CC will be re-release certain editions previously out of stock. Keep an eye on certain titles. I'm crossing my fingers that John Woo's The Killers and Salo will be included. However, at this point these are only rumors.

btw-yes, CC has a new look.

Mad! I'll have to look out for that Seven Samurai one. Thanks for the heads up WD.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2006 06:13 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Originally posted by C-Dic
Hhuh? Criterion lost the rights to that movie a looooong time ago, and I don't expect they'll ever revisit it. Their edition of that movie was horrible to begin with, picture wise. The only really decent aspect of it was the Demme/Foster/Hopkins commentary.

Older Criterion releases have a tendency to be a good bit overrated, just because of the name sake.

I didn't know it was a shitty release. I'm a big fan of SOTL so I figured a criterion would be a must have, guess not. Thanks for the info.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2006 05:30 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

This Seven Samurai 3 disc is worth EVERY penny. Watch it again over the weekend. The quality is no different than the previous dvd. I love the intermission. The documentaries really make it worth it. Full interviews of Kurosawa and details of the film. Audio Commentary is good not perfect still very worth it to hear it. Once again Criterion delivers!

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 02:53 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I put in a request to Criterion to get the rights for Runaway Train (1985, with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts.) It's great, and has a Kurosawa connection, being based on an original screenplay he wrote that wasn't produced. MGM has only a non-anamorphic copy on the market, that also looks grainy.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 03:07 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Criterion Titles I own:

Chasing Amy
Dazed and Confused
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Monty Python's Life of Brian

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 03:16 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I live someplace where a lot of Criterion can be rented. I only own one title to date - George Washington.
They are MUCH cheaper to buy online, than from the retail stores up here.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 03:40 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

I own a few, but I'll be buying ten or so in the next month.

Short Cuts
Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Samurai - Musashi Miyamoto

Old Post Sep 13th, 2006 12:43 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I've got 4 in "Carnival of Souls", "The Rock", "Naked Lunch", and "Videodrome". I'd like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" at some point. Kinda regret selling off the copy I found for $3.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2006 02:48 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Awesome news for you Samurai film fans! big grin

Next month Criterion will be re-released Yojimbo/Sanjuro. They will come in a set or individual. New Documentaries and super cool DVD covers.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2006 11:51 PM
Yames
Yames

Why in the hell (pardon the pun) won't Warner Bros. release Ken Russell's "The Devils" on DVD??? The performances in that film are amazingly good and if Critereon can put out another version of Pasolini's "Salo," why couldn't they do the same for "The Devils?" This is very frustrating. Visually, the film is stunning with all of Derek Jarman's sets. As I mentioned, the acting is first rate, especially Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave. This story is twisted, but it remains one of the best films Russell has ever done. Somebody DO something!! Know anybody who works at Warner's?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 07:42 PM
Yames is currently offline Click here to Send Yames a Private Message Find more posts by Yames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

There ya go..

It's probably R0, not that it really matters.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 08:33 PM
yvonnekarate
Frank Sinatra fan

I own;

All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Black Narcissius (1947)
The Lady Eve (1941)
Pygmalion (1938)
Summertime (1955)
Written On the Wind (1956)

Regards, Yvonne

- Reader, I married him (Jane Eyre)
The happiness now, will be part of the pain then.
Teaching is an act of love.

Old Post May 27th, 2007 11:44 PM
yvonnekarate is currently offline Click here to Send yvonnekarate a Private Message Find more posts by yvonnekarate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm looking forwards to the 2 disc edition of If... soon, can't wait!!

Old Post May 28th, 2007 05:56 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

No kidding, I've been stuck with my bootleg for years. The quality is shit.

Old Post May 28th, 2007 07:05 PM
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Originally posted by Impediment
Criterion Titles I own:

Chasing Amy
Dazed and Confused
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Monty Python's Life of Brian

That's my Criterion collection minus Life of Brian.

Old Post May 28th, 2007 08:39 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jon84
Secret Asian Man

I only own Brazil. Haven't been buying any DVDs lately.

Old Post May 29th, 2007 06:24 AM
jon84 is currently offline Click here to Send jon84 a Private Message Find more posts by jon84 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote