KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Why is Quentin Tarantino such a genius to some people?

Why is Quentin Tarantino such a genius to some people?
Started by: cal31

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Why is Quentin Tarantino such a genius to some people?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's horrible or anything, I like many of his movies, but I don't get why some people think he's the best thing ever. I mean he's a good action director, but what has he done that is so much better than other good action directors? I'm not criticizing him or anybody, I just want to know why people love him so much.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 12:59 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Simply, because alot of people haven't seen alot of other films that he has payed homage too in his films.

I love his movies though, I think they're always interesting, and hugely entertaining.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:07 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Because to the people who aren't familiar with the material he's shamelessly stealing and presenting as his own work he seems like a fresh innovative talent doing unique work in the action/adventure genre.

He obviously knows how to use a camera tho, so I'm hoping that at some point he'll do something original.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:10 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Simply, because alot of people haven't seen alot of other films that he has payed homage too in his films.

"Homage" my fuzzy pooper - you apologists are as bad as he is.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:12 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Well, he's making a war movie next. That will be interesting.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:12 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
Well, he's making a war movie next. That will be interesting.

Its a remake of "Quel maledetto treno blindato" from 1977 - so hardly original. Tho no doubt they will say it's a Re-imagining as thats the buzz-word du jour for people denying they are ripping off old ideas.

And I'm willing to make a bet right now that it will have dozens of "homage" moments to old Sam Fuller war movies since QT is such a fan.

In fact I think the answer to the threads question is that QTs genius is that he manages to put all these disparate stolen influences and riffs from other movies together into a cohesive whole - and stitch it together with his brand of free-flowing pop culture dialog. The individual ideas he lifts may not be original but the end product certainly is.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 01:22 AM
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Yeah, I guess it's not a surprise that he uses a lot of stuff from other films and gets many of his ideas from them, seing as he had a job at a video rental place before he became a director, so he must've had a lot of time to watch movies and get ideas from them. I've just seen so many other action films that are just as good if not better than his, yet he's praised as the best action director ever. Maybe it is because of his background from where he came from to some just make him even greater, who knows.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 04:33 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

Mr. Zero, are you aware that professional wrestling matches are pre-determined? Because as much as you love blowing the whistle on common knowledge scandals, you could have a field day shouting from the rooftops that it's all fixed. Go get 'em, tiger!

WE KNOW QUENTIN STEALS FROM OTHER MOVIES! That's part of his charm! He may not admit freely enough to your liking just where and when he appropriated/borrowed/paid tribute to/stole from another movie/TV show/video game/Babylonian parchment, but most of his fans are willing to look beyond that and simply enjoy the treats.

For Crom's sake, is there an original idea circulating ANYWHERE in Hollywood anymore? How many carbon-copy reality shows are debuting this week? How many sexy teen comedies, war flicks, or bean flickers about divorcees with cancer? How many summer camp slashers have we had to contend with over the years? How about disaster epics, historical biopics or buddy cop movies? The most original movie out there at the moment is "The Village", but 1) everybody hates it, and 2) it apparently was stolen from a 1995 novel by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

If we "apologists" like Quentin more than you think we should, and care not that his movies are Frankensteined from others, just chalk it up to blind loyalty and move on to the Orlando Bloom cultists. If anybody needed an ass-kicking, it's them.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 11:47 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The True Fear
Restricted

Account Restricted

simpsons did it

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 12:08 AM
The True Fear is currently offline Click here to Send The True Fear a Private Message Find more posts by The True Fear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by roundisfunny
WE KNOW QUENTIN STEALS FROM OTHER MOVIES! That's part of his charm! ...... most of his fans are willing to look beyond that and simply enjoy the treats.

For Crom's sake, is there an original idea circulating ANYWHERE in Hollywood anymore? .... The most original movie out there at the moment is "The Village", but 1) everybody hates it, and 2) it apparently was stolen from a 1995 novel by Margaret Peterson

If we "apologists" like Quentin more than you think we should, and care not that his movies are Frankensteined from others, just chalk it up to blind loyalty and move on

Had to paraphrase your rant there Roundy but I'll try to answer your points: mainly that you say most of QTs fans know but dont care that he lifts and reassembles: I dont think thats true - most of the cinema going public doesnt know and doesnt care. Some know vaugly what he does and dont care and a few know the full extend of his unashamed thievery and dont care.

I agree original ideas are hard to come by - but thats not the issue - recycling ideas is one thing - adapting old novels is another - QT assembles his directing style by mimicking the work of others: Its not just his ideas that are unoriginal - its his his visual style.

And if you read my post you will see than far from thinking this is a problem i think he should be celebrated for it - it's an act of bare faced cheek that I can only imagine QT getting away with so successfully and with such panache. Rather than whining about how he's not the thief everyone makes him out to be you should be pointing out how friggin genius his method of working is.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 12:40 AM
roundisfunny

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
mainly that you say most of QTs fans know but dont care that he lifts and reassembles:

It's not so much that we don't care--if we started seeing the same exact techniques, plots, camera tricks, etc., we'd start getting bored with it all, just as we did with the "Matrix Camera" trick after seeing it for the thousandth time. We just haven't grown weary of Quentin--but the moment he sells out and starts "Hollywoodizing" his art, we'll turn on him like a pack of angry Mr. Blonds.

quote:
most of the cinema going public doesnt know and doesnt care.

Agreed. Most of the cinema-going public doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground (as we see by much of the conversation in other areas of this board). If you were to tell "IloveOrli14lol" that Quentin lifted a shot from Ding Dong Poo's master epic of 1958, her head could well deflate from the entropy that would follow.

quote:
Some know vaugly what he does and dont care and a few know the full extend of his unashamed thievery and dont care.

Okay. But then, some people like blood sausage (vaugly). My point was that those who appreciate Quentin (like me) tend to overlook the fact that he rips off/pays homage to all those movies he's come to know and love.

quote:
I agree original ideas are hard to come by - but thats not the issue - recycling ideas is one thing - adapting old novels is another - QT assembles his directing style by mimicking the work of others: Its not just his ideas that are unoriginal - its his his visual style.

True, but again, what director hasn't snuck in a tribute to Orson Welles or John Ford here or there? Quentin's "thievery", if you will, is much more plentiful if for no other reason than he has so many more mentors. However, the relative obscurity of many of those sources more than makes up for their number. What tiny percentage of the population is familiar enough with H.B. Halicki to even know, much less care that Quentin used his "sunglasses on the dashboard" shot in KB1?

quote:
And if you read my post you will see than far from thinking this is a problem i think he should be celebrated for it - it's an act of bare faced cheek that I can only imagine QT getting away with so successfully and with such panache.

quote:
"Homage" my fuzzy pooper - you apologists are as bad as he is.

the material he's shamelessly stealing and presenting as his own work

I read your posts, and I'm positive I didn't misinterpret them. Which one of those was the higher praise?

quote:
Rather than whining about how he's not the thief everyone makes him out to be you should be pointing out how friggin genius his method of working is. [/B]

As I've said before, we are well aware of his stealing, and are more than willing to forgive him. If I didn't think his methods were worth defending, I wouldn't have spent this much time and effort trying to debate about it (however futilly) with a total stranger. Now, if there's any whining to be ceased, it should probably be those detractors who sit piously atop their own cinematic accomplishments (if any) and ***** endlessly about Quentin's.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 04:48 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by roundisfunny
I read your posts, and I'm positive I didn't misinterpret them. Which one of those was the higher praise?

the one about 6 inches above here that says

"In fact I think the answer to the threads question is that QTs genius is that he manages to put all these disparate stolen influences and riffs from other movies together into a cohesive whole - and stitch it together with his brand of free-flowing pop culture dialog. The individual ideas he lifts may not be original but the end product certainly is."

SEE! I like QT - we can be buddies now! YAY!

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 04:57 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

meh I think 98% of QT's movies blow.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 04:59 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

thats a very precise percentage - did you get a statistician to do the math?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 05:01 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

LMAO laughing damn you are a sarcastic little bugger arent you? And to answer your question...Nope I pulled that number right outta my a$$! eek!

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 05:08 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ding Dong Poo's master epic

laughing

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 07:02 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Taretino doesnt steal anything from anyone. though some of his ideas and camera shots may be inspired,his techniques in making a movie stay his own original vision. does he use other directors techniques? Yes ,but he makes it abundantly clear everytime he does. Every Great film director has borrowed from previous or modern greats. This is expanding ones arsenal in film making. Kill Bill held many style shots and story based camera techniques directly from asian martial arts cinema, but that was the point of the film people. He made it clear and doesnt try to hide this fact. He wanted to make a martial arts grind film because they dont make them anymore, and what did he do? He gave us a film that rivals the best in asian martial arts cinema. The film was still packed with his cynical and sarcastic dialgue touch along with his own style.

Unlike many Filmakers, when Tarentino gets and idea for scene he will not make exceptions in presenting his vision, not for the FCC and not for the fear that audience may not approve. Tarentino Doesnt change the pace and style of his movies, they always stay consistant, and everytime your watching one of his films you know that it is infact a tartentino film. He is a filmaker that never strays from his style,but only elaborates on it. when all is said and done his movies offer great raw entertainment, that are well written and loaded with smart dialogue. quentin is an average guy who loves film, not money or fame, but movies. He came from nothing, and had only one shot to make it into movies, and succeeded because he has an original and vivid feeling to his movies.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 08:58 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
meh I think 98% of QT's movies blow.
(please log in to view the image)

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 09:14 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

If you want an example of what unoriginal is in the business of filmaking, take a look at Ron howard films. they are all unoriginal and are all taken from previous movies and stories.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 09:24 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Taretino doesnt steal anything from anyone.

Except the stories and characters for his movies.

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
If you want an example of what unoriginal is in the business of filmaking, take a look at Ron howard films. they are all unoriginal and are all taken from previous movies and stories.

Example?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 04:42 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote